Diagnose the Defense

I was rewatching a few games and it got me thinking.

Are we utilizing the guys we have correctly? Could the scheme we're trying to use completely not fit the style of football in the B1G? We came from a pretty pass happy conference last year to a ground and pound stomp your guts out conference.

We all have come to the consensus that there needs to be more pressure.

One of the things I think is the problem is that we haven't forced turnovers like we have in the past few years and guys look like their not in a position to make plays outside of David (who seems to be able to be anywhere on the field at any given time).

Been harping about lack of pressure since Suh left. Last year when we didn't bring pressure we were very good at 1) Pass coverage...but several of those key playmakers graduated to the NFL, 2) Physicality bumping WR's off their routes, and 3) If a ball was caught we wrapped up and no yards after catch. All 3 of these areas are severely lacking in coverage now...so now our no pressure DL is really exposed...it is a problem that has compounded itself. If you don't have good cover guys it really pays to get to that QB quick and disrupt him. We don't have that and our coverage guys are green (pun somewhat intended) :lol: and learning on the job.

IMO this is the major fix the second part of the season that must happen...Pelini Bros. now gotta earn it and come up with new schemes based on the personnel we have (now minus Crick). I think we have to use David and some of the DB's to crash in on the QB and the backfield. EMart should be in there as well. If we can't fix this there is no way we beat MSU...Cousins will put up huge numbers. Michigan will also be tough because Robinson will run all over us and he makes just enough plays in the air and his WR's will go up and get the ball. If we let Robinson get comfortable back there he will make completions to that WR corp. Very nervous about those 2 games.

I concur.

Losing Crick really hurt the D line, but that might have to force the flying Pelini Bros. to dial up pressure from other positions, and may help our defense. This should force the guys on the D line to step up their games as well.

I think the defense could get turned around, but Cham's right. If we don't get things fixed, and fixed quickly the MSU and Mich games could be really ugly.

Problem is the '08 and '09 classes were big disappointments in terms of LB's. Should've started beating the bushes for a JUCO-LB as soon as we announced we were going to the 10. Our d-line scheme is meant to set-up the LB's to make plays and Lavonte is the only one that does it with any regularity.

I also have to question the offseason defensive staffing/responsibility moves. Thus far outside of recruiting they haven't borne fruit.

SPOT on, chamrock. The DL hasn't really been the same since Suh left and I've seen interesting criticisms about the way they have been used. Regardless, it is the fact that we were really blessed in the secondary in '10 that covered for the DL, but now they are getting exposed. It isn't that the secondary has suddenly become terrible, but we did lose some very key pieces that can't be appreciated enough for what they enabled the defense, as a whole, to do...guys like Hagg and Gomes, not just Prince.

It's hard to believe a Bo defense could be this bad. It's "really", really bad.

Sure love to see him ditch the "2 gap" nonsense and go back to an attacking defense. What would we have to lose?

GBR!!

Yeah, the thing about 2 gap is puts more pressure on the DBs. Because we got less pressure on the QB. With Suh, he covered his gaps AND put pressure on the QB. But it's hard to find a guy like Suh who can throw a 310 lb O-lineman back into the QB.

Sure love to see him ditch the "2 gap" nonsense and go back to an attacking defense. What would we have to lose?

GBR!!

Yeah, the thing about 2 gap is puts more pressure on the DBs. Because we got less pressure on the QB. With Suh, he covered his gaps AND put pressure on the QB. But it's hard to find a guy like Suh who can throw a 310 lb O-lineman back into the QB.

Oh boy, that's the truth. His 2003 blackshirts attacked like junk yd dogs. SuperD was a blitzing machine but I guess he's not comfortable with anybody else doing that.

For the 2 gap Suh made it work in 2009 and the best secondary in the nation made it work in 2010........but now.....whew! C'mon Bo, unleash Caveman & anybody else with a pulse & go after them!

Go Big Red!!

GBR!!

Oh boy, that's the truth. His 2003 blackshirts attacked like junk yd dogs. SuperD was a blitzing machine but I guess he's not comfortable with anybody else doing that.

For the 2 gap Suh made it work in 2009 and the best secondary in the nation made it work in 2010........but now.....whew! C'mon Bo, unleash Caveman & anybody else with a pulse & go after them!

Go Big Red!!

I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll see some dramatic adjustments this week. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking... It's gonna be a long Oct/Nov if we don't fix some things.

I think we might have found the missing piece (SJB) in the second half of the OSU game. We will see, but in combination with a big physical body opposite Fonzo and a bye week to get our inexperienced DBs more practice reps with less pressure, I think(hope) we hit our stride defensively. Unlike most, I don't see Crick as a huge loss. Maybe we miss one extra tackle each game that hurts us a little bit, but I think we have experienced and capable enough guys as backups that they will step right in and fill his spot.

I think we need to ditch the 4-3 until we have personnel capable of running it. We have recruited players to run a nickel and keep up with spread offenses. Keep them on the field. Is it just me or are the B1G offenses starting to run more spread? I also think tOSU will go after Urban REALLY hard, he is the king of the spread. Just don't understand the need to try and force a change.

GBR!!

Go Big Red!!

In Bold Red Above :yeah