Official Why We Beat MSU Thread

The crowd needs to be as loud as it was at 7:30 at night against Ohio State. This being an 11 o'clock game gives us no excuse not to be loud. My girlfriend and I will be screaming our asses off! If we are as loud as we can be, we will make it difficult on Michigan State and Kirk Cousins. If we aren't very loud it will be a long day. I think we will win no matter what though Saturday! GO BIG RED! 42-17 NU!

This crowd really needs to be loud for our team and for the recruits in town.

The crowd needs to be as loud as it was at 7:30 at night against Ohio State. This being an 11 o'clock game gives us no excuse not to be loud. My girlfriend and I will be screaming our asses off! If we are as loud as we can be, we will make it difficult on Michigan State and Kirk Cousins. If we aren't very loud it will be a long day. I think we will win no matter what though Saturday! GO BIG RED! 42-17 NU!

In what game/s have we shown the ability to blow other teams out of the water? I think we win but it won't be no blow out. 24-21. Game winning field goal.

I glanced over at one of the Michigan State message board (can't get in unless you register) and thought it was interesting that one of the threads was Unbelievable delusion going on over on Nebraska free board Are we delusional or are they over confident? But then further down it said: Will Nebraska run the Option? Will MSU defend it well? This will be an interesting game. I really hope our boys play the same way they did in the second half of the Ohio State game. I was listening to 1620 the Zone yesterday and they were talking about a type of game where the team can give a sigh of relief after having played two really hard games. Kugler said he didn't think the game against NU will be MSU's 'relief game' (I forgot what official name he gave this type of game) He thought it would be the next one where they play against Minn. I hope it is this game. I hope they come into Memorial Stadium full of themselves, overconfident and then make mistake after mistake after mistake and our boys come out shining.

MSU's free board is the Red Cedar Message Board at SpartanTailgate.com. It's where most of the best (and worst because it is tRCMB) discussion takes place.

Thanks a lot!!

It'll be a TERRIFIC game.

GBR!!

You sort of have to take the Red Cedar Message Board (spartantailgate.com) with a grain of salt - even if you're a MSU fan. The whole spectrum of fans is there, including the "fringe." It can be very entertaining.

If we lose this game, it will be very interesting how we play the rest of the season. Losing this game all but cancels our ticket to the Big 10 Championship game. Will we fold? Or, will we continue to improve?

I have this question for you --- you state, as a question --- "will we continue to improve" --- this is predicated on the notion that NU has been improving as a team. So my question is this --- how has NU been improving as a team? I do not see it.

NU has been better in a few areas --- lesser penalties, fewer fumbles, fewer dropped passes. And the offense is better this year than last. But the defense is much worse. The kicking game, both in FG and punting is worse. The degree of mis-assignments on the defense is much worse. The fundamentals in tackling are worse. The degree of intensity is just as bad as it has been for a while. So... overall, I do not see NU as having improved in the last 10-12 or so games. In some areas yes. In many areas no. Overall, this team has not markedly improved with time over the last several years --- it has just changed some areas of performance out... but overall I am not seeing improvement.

So... we will fold? I think not. I hope not. And, if we do improve (which I hope we do) it will be the first improvement in some time. This is not a team on the upward arc of getting more competitive. It is, at best, stagnant, and more likely going the wrong way.

I do not see NU beating MSU. But... stranger things have happened.

If we lose this game, it will be very interesting how we play the rest of the season. Losing this game all but cancels our ticket to the Big 10 Championship game. Will we fold? Or, will we continue to improve?

I have this question for you --- you state, as a question --- "will we continue to improve" --- this is predicated on the notion that NU has been improving as a team. So my question is this --- how has NU been improving as a team? I do not see it.

NU has been better in a few areas --- lesser penalties, fewer fumbles, fewer dropped passes. And the offense is better this year than last. But the defense is much worse. The kicking game, both in FG and punting is worse. The degree of mis-assignments on the defense is much worse. The fundamentals in tackling are worse. The degree of intensity is just as bad as it has been for a while. So... overall, I do not see NU as having improved in the last 10-12 or so games. In some areas yes. In many areas no. Overall, this team has not markedly improved with time over the last several years --- it has just changed some areas of performance out... but overall I am not seeing improvement.

So... we will fold? I think not. I hope not. And, if we do improve (which I hope we do) it will be the first improvement in some time. This is not a team on the upward arc of getting more competitive. It is, at best, stagnant, and more likely going the wrong way.

I think he means during the season. Have we improved from the first game to today?

I think he means during the season. Have we improved from the first game to today?

Fair enough. Have we improved from the beginning of the season? I do not think so. Better in some areas, the same in most, worse in some areas. And... NU has not played more than 2 -2.5 quarters in any game this season... sleep-walking through 1.5-2 quarters of each game. I see no improved intensity. No improved assignment football. No better tackling. No better ability to shed blocks. Better in terms of lesser penalties. Better in terms of play calling on O. Better in terms of fumbles and drops (but regarding dropped passes maybe not much better). Worse in terms of pressure on the QB. The various other elements of the teams performance will be a further smattering of some better, most about the same, some worse.

So... at best, NU is stagnant this season... neither improving nor getting worse. Relative to last year, NU is worse.

Fair enough. Have we improved from the beginning of the season? I do not think so. Better in some areas, the same in most, worse in some areas. And... NU has not played more than 2 -2.5 quarters in any game this season... sleep-walking through 1.5-2 quarters of each game. I see no improved intensity. No improved assignment football. No better tackling. No better ability to shed blocks. Better in terms of lesser penalties. Better in terms of play calling on O. Better in terms of fumbles and drops (but regarding dropped passes maybe not much better). Worse in terms of pressure on the QB. The various other elements of the teams performance will be a further smattering of some better, most about the same, some worse.

So... at best, NU is stagnant this season... neither improving nor getting worse. Relative to last year, NU is worse.

I notice a lot of your posting is kind of debbie downer. What do you like about this team? Do you think it can get better? Are we going to lose most of the rest of our games?

I definitely agree that we are worse than last year, but I think the offense is getting a little more comfortable every week and the defense on the verge of turning the corner. Our biggest is like you said, we have yet to play four quarters, so because of that, we haven't improved as much as I would have liked.