What awaits the Husker defense?

http://huskerextra.c...385b852e79.html

Husker defensive coordinator Carl Pelini met with the media after Tuesday's practice.

Many have talked about Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins not being the most mobile quarterback around.

But people shouldn't take that talk too far, Pelini said.

"He's more mobile than I think you give him credit for," Pelini said. "There's guys who are real fleet guys, running-type quarterbacks, and then there are guys who have a good feel for the pocket and know how to avoid pressure. And that's how I see him. He's not necessarily a guy who likes to get out and run. But he moves his feet and gets out of trouble. They max protect a lot. They keep their backs in. They keep their tight ends and run a lot of 3-man routes, 2-man routes. So especially out of their big personnel it's hard to get pressure on him."

Pelini doesn't read too much into the fact Michigan State ranks last in the Big Ten running the football, averaging just 138 yards a game on the ground.

"They're a physical running team," Pelini said. "They kind of take what you give them. They're a power running team and teams have been loading the box against them and that's why you see their receivers having success, and I think if you spread out and start to defend the wideouts, then they go back to the running game. So they're a good offense. They're very balanced. You can talk about where they're ranked in the Big Ten rushing, but again they're going to take what you give them and they're not going to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. You stack the box, they're going to throw the ball."

How much might Nebraska use three linebackers this week against Michigan State's offense?

Pelini said teams defending the Spartan offense have seemed to operate about 50/50 between using nickel personnel and base personnel to defend Michigan State. "Our personnel kind of reacts to what kind of personnel they have on the field, so it just kind of depends what their game plan is."

If the Huskers do play more nickel, Lance Thorell might be a guy with a significant role. The senior from Loomis started and saw a lot of snaps against Minnesota, with Nebraska using five defensive backs most of the day.

"Lance has always been a guy for us," Pelini said. "He played essentially that peso position that (Eric) Hagg played last year. Minnesota didn't have a lot of big sets so we went back to essentially that style of defense. Again, he'll be used when we need him. And if a team wants to line up and play smashmouth then you end up with the three backers. Lance has been playing well all year. It's just what we get, we match their personnel."

Interesting tidbit... but the bolded part>>> :facepalm:

^ and since the kick return has little to do w/ the offense...not sure where ur going

I was just trying to show a big hit. Sorry, I thought most people would get that. Next time I'll include a brief explanation so people won't get all confused.

btw, I did have that clip of Courtney Osborne's sack fr last year. But the announcers made such a big deal calling it a cheap shot I swapped it out.

The better question might be, What awaits the Sparty offense?

Thanks for posting one of my vids(eric martin hit). My youtube username is also KansasHusker. My Flip ultraHD cam works decent just by holding it in front of my tv recording plays. If there is any particular play or big hit you would want me to upload, hit me up with a pm, I have all games recorded on DVR. I've got a couple vids on my youtube channel from the Ohio State game also.