Huskers 17.5 Point Favorite

The NU Showdown  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The line opened at -17.5 in our favor. Northwestern has only been beat by more than 17 points one time this season and that was by Michigan. In their 5 losses this season, they have allowed a total of 994 yards rushing. They have allowed at least 100 yards rushing in every game except one this season (Illinois, who passed for 300+) and they have had two games allowing more than 300 yards on the ground, most recently giving up 319 to a pathetic Indiana team.

There are a couple of things that could keep Northwestern in the game though and it starts with Dan Persa. Persa has only played in 5 games this season, but is completing 75% of his passes this season, throwing for 1251, 9 scores and 3 picks. Our defense has given up a total of 1422 yards through the air, allowing 11 TDs and getting 4 picks. However, Persa is averaging 3 sacks a game and over the last 3 games we have held our opponents to a 41% completion percentage (26/53), 316 yards, with 1 score and 2 picks. That's truly remarkable considering how poor the secondary play was at the beginning of the season.

Another thing that may make this game closer than it should be is Taylor Martinez. Taylor is a pedestrian 90/164 on the season with 1256 yards, 8TDs and 7 picks. Everybody knows that Taylor's mechanics are about as poor as they come, but the decision making sometimes leaves Husker Nation scratching their collective head.

Who do I like? Nebraska has only covered the spread twice this year, but I like us to cover. I think that we have much improved pressuring the QB, which is very odd with our "prize bull" out. I think we force Persa to make some errant throws and get to him a handful of times. Rex and Taylor both have big days on the ground, as well.

Who ya got?

Northwestern is a team that has seemed to be wore out by halftime every week. The way our O line has played, and the toll our rushing attack has on opposing defenses, NW may be gased by the 2nd quarter. Combine this with the pressure and coverage we displayed against MSU, and NW won't have any choice other than try and run the ball. The only eyebrow lifter is that Persa and Colter are mobile QB's. Still I think we stay in the Peso and let our speed take the game over. GBR!

Predicting a shut out BTW.

NU - 38

NW - 0

If the defense plays close to the way they did last Saturday, I don't see NU being capable of stopping our offense. Not that we're high-powered, but those rushing numbers they've given up are a pretty big deal, and they've come against teams that don't run the ball as well as we do or creatively as we do.

I like Nebraska in this, but I'm still undecided on whether or not they cover.

I think NW is just a couple ticks above Minnesota (oops Iowa!!). Their D struggles mightily and the Offense is just above average. Their special teams might keep them in it. Nebraska should have a three touchdown edge.

Total D: NU 29th NW 98th

Rush D: NU 63rd NW 95th

Pass D: NU 12th NW 78th

Scoring D: NU 33rd NW 90th

Turnover Margin: NU 57th NW 24th

Total O: NU 51st NW 37th

Rush O: NU 9th NW 33rd

Pass O: NU 106th NW 49th

Scoring O: NU 22nd NW 41st

Net punting: NU 32nd NW 99th

KO returns: NU 2nd NW 73rd

Punt returns: NU 44th NW 17th

KO D: NU 98th NW 17th (DAMN We need to work on this!!)

Punt D: 109th NW 5th (Another glaring spot to work on!!)

I think we should cover if we come out and play like we need to. I am a little worried that we might come out flat after a big win against Michigan State. Lets hope they don't take the wildcats lightly. Another good win for us and help us continue to "right the Ship" after the disapointment of the Wisconsin game earlier in the season. GO BIG RED