How many big wins do we need to win back the media?

Like everyone is saying....we have to win out. I had to take a step back and think about the Callahan years. We were dreadful...and people remember that. I get wound up from time to time because I simply love my huskers! But, in order to get respect, we have to earn it back. People remember Kansas hanging 70 on us. Kansas????

I will say this.....I watched the MSU game again last night. Lot easier when you know the outcome....but, Martinez missed some receivers open down the field. We should have scored 40pts....easily. Also, they replayed our diamond formation (Ohio State) and showed when Enukwa scored. Turner was running all by himself down the field and Martinez threw to Enukwa. We still scored. But our boys are getting open. And one more thing.....I have to remember Martinez is still a pup. We expect greatness......but he is a sophomore....I couldn't have handled that type of pressure at that age.

• Fire 1

Couple years ago, ESPN's college football analysts ranked the greatest college football teams of all-time and put two Nebraska teams in the Top 3.

Corso and Fowler appear on the History of Husker Football video, declaring that Nebraska football fans are the best and most knowledgeable in the game. They didn't hedge. They gave a clear endorsement. They are supposed to be objective and they are in fact biased. For Nebraska.

The pollsters tend to rank Nebraska higher than their actual play warrants because they are biased for Nebraska, based on our historical legacy.

(Las Vegas is a little tougher on us because they have no romantic notions; the Huskers haven't been covering the spread lately)

We get tons of television coverage. Even a crapfest like Minnesota goes nationwide. Every telecast comes with a montage of Husker Legacy and a nod to the loyal Husker Nation.

The media gives the Huskers more attention than most schools because the Huskers have always been a story in college football. In the past 10 years the story has been about the proud program falling on hard times, but that's a true story. If anything, the media has been pushing the angle of the Huskers being relevant again under Bo Pelini. When the Huskers keep losing the big marquee games, it's hard not to report on that.

And when someone on ESPN predicts another team will beat Nebraska, it's not a slap in the face. It's just a prediction. Even this here fansite seemed to lean heavily towards Wisconsin and MSU beating Nebraska.

But if you want Husker football to look like a bunch of thin-skin rubes, keep arguing that we don't get any media respect.

• Fire 1

I for one like the challenge of proving the media wrong that is all Nebraska right there. We do what we do, that's our way of life and Bo and obviously past coaches have done a great job of instilling this into the program. Also I have to say that T-Mart has done a Great job every time the Media tries to knock him down, which the local and national media has tried, he seems to pull it together and proves he can do it. He isn't the only one on the team that has been doing this, but it is the most glaring IMO.

I thought he explained his point pretty well. What are you having trouble understanding?

I'm not saying we don't deserve the lack of media attention and respect with some of the eggs we've layed, but, how many big wins do we need to get them back on our side? Im sure everyone has noticed that for most, it wasn't how well Nebraska played, but how MState didn't show up. And before you say it, yes I know that some of the media we could care less about... Herbie...

GO BIG RED

I just don't think he has a point, Knapp. Talking about getting the media back on "our side", when there has been a very large amount of positive public publicity for our program all year long DESPITE the Wisconsin blowout. If we really weren't getting any respect for our MSU win then we wouldn't have jumped up to 10th in the polls, our announcers made mention of it but I haven't seen that actually be talked about as a point of emphasis, just a sidenote. He also talks about some media we "could care less about", which should be couldn't, but whatever, and mentions Kirk Herbstreit, who has had plenty of positive things to say about Nebraska over the years.

There is no lack of media attention, as he puts it.

I thought he explained his point pretty well. What are you having trouble understanding?

I'm not saying we don't deserve the lack of media attention and respect with some of the eggs we've layed, but, how many big wins do we need to get them back on our side? Im sure everyone has noticed that for most, it wasn't how well Nebraska played, but how MState didn't show up. And before you say it, yes I know that some of the media we could care less about... Herbie...

GO BIG RED

I just don't think he has a point, Knapp. Talking about getting the media back on "our side", when there has been a very large amount of positive public publicity for our program all year long DESPITE the Wisconsin blowout. If we really weren't getting any respect for our MSU win then we wouldn't have jumped up to 10th in the polls, our announcers made mention of it but I haven't seen that actually be talked about as a point of emphasis, just a sidenote. He also talks about some media we "could care less about", which should be couldn't, but whatever, and mentions Kirk Herbstreit, who has had plenty of positive things to say about Nebraska over the years.

There is no lack of media attention, as he puts it.

he, is Peoriahusker..i can see you and I are going to have fun on here! maybe lack of media attention was the wrong choice of words..maybe it's respect..when do we win games because we are good and not because the other team didn't show up. it must not just be me, it seems to me that others on the board are answering the original post with some interesting answers...7 more games, a BCS bowl etc. I'm trying to determine why you are having such a hard time grasping this one.

Winning games like WI - especially when they're in prime time with 1 million+ eyes watching. Same with games like the last 2 B12C's. It's the losses like those that media folks remember - not so much wins against teams like MSU. MSU is good but does not have brand name recognition. Quick how many times do people bring up Boise beating OU?

Plain and simply NU has to get back to winning big games on the big stage.

With that will come swag - true swag - not the manufactured variety that we hear about. And with that swag will come more big wins...... It's a nice vicious cycle that the 90's Huskers perfected and fed off.

• Fire 1

You mean when does ESPN start sucking our toes, don't you, OP?

I could care less what ESPN says about us, and you should do the same. Sure - it's great for national attention, getting to recruits, etc. Other than that we don't need ESPN for anything other than to eat crow when they say stupid things.

I just don't think he has a point, Knapp. Talking about getting the media back on "our side", when there has been a very large amount of positive public publicity for our program all year long DESPITE the Wisconsin blowout.

He does have a point. You just disagree with it. I think there's a terminology disconnect.