Time to let Martinez run

I think we are far enough along in the season where the coaches can tell Martinez to run instead of looking to slide or go out of bounds. If you ask me it appears that they are in his head and it has really affected the way he runs. He appears timid and indecisive and that is not the way he ran last year. He shows his burst every so often but more times then not he is looking for the quickest way to get down (IMO this isn’t his fault either it is on the coaches). He showed it once against OSU and he busted a TD, against Northwestern he showed it on a QB draw but it got called back because of a penalty. Now that it appears Burkhead might be banged up a little it is time to let go of the reigns and allow Martinez to do what he does best.

I can agree with where you are going with this, but we are in such a close battle for the division title I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I think he is getting much better with his decisions in the game, but I have to question why we aren't seeing more of Heard, Green, and even Turner on the field? Makes no sense to me?

I agree with this sentiment. I have said it several times this season that it looks like Taylor is running timid. Truthfully, I think that he has taken more shots than he normally would because of this. He has taken some licks this year, while trying to slow down/get down/get out....like that monster shot he took against Ohio State.

I think we are far enough along in the season where the coaches can tell Martinez to run instead of looking to slide or go out of bounds. If you ask me it appears that they are in his head and it has really affected the way he runs. He appears timid and indecisive and that is not the way he ran last year. He shows his burst every so often but more times then not he is looking for the quickest way to get down (IMO this isn’t his fault either it is on the coaches). He showed it once against OSU and he busted a TD, against Northwestern he showed it on a QB draw but it got called back because of a penalty. Now that it appears Burkhead might be banged up a little it is time to let go of the reigns and allow Martinez to do what he does best.

Agreed! It's great he's improving on his game management, passing, etc but NOW is when we need his warp7 acceleration for big plays.

Our Oline just got stuffed by friggin NW and it's scary as hell to imagine how badly PSU will destroy it. Besides, our wrs seem to be gradually going back to 2009 & 2010 mode by dropping passes more each game.

The season is 3/4 over and these are MUST wins. Unleash him, Tim.......

GBR!!

I don't think he is as good of a runner as everybody has built him up to be. From what I have seen he has much more verticle speed but no lateral speed. I know that he is being coached to slide now, but I think it is always a much better idea for him to do that then the alternate taylor move when someone gets in front of him (stand straight up and take a pounding).

I say keep the kid alive and learning rather than gain 2 more yards and meet the hit stick every play. He played his best game making throws and moving around in the pocket against NU. I think after this year we will be able to rely on him much more in the passing game.

All and all, there is much more low hanging fruit for yards than risking Taylor, I say go for that.

He had one run against NW where I was like, "Damn! Why can't he run like that all the time?" It was a tough run where he put his head down and got the extra yardage for the first down. None of that cradle up in the fetal position and get slammed to the ground business.

You are quick to forgot how quickly/easily he was injured last year.

He had one run against NW where I was like, "Damn! Why can't he run like that all the time?" It was a tough run where he put his head down and got the extra yardage for the first down. None of that cradle up in the fetal position and get slammed to the ground business.

You are quick to forgot how quickly/easily he was injured last year.

Taylor got injured on a couple of fluke plays, one where he got nailed on his ankle, and another where he was stepped on by his own lineman. A few inches either way on bang-bang plays and he's not injured.

People think Martinez is fragile. They forget that Burkhead has as checkered an injury list as Martinez. The difference being that we have ample backups at RB. We don't have a QB capable of leading us to the conference championship if Martinez goes down.

Taylor sliding or running out of bounds did not lose this football game. Taylor played a great game. Our defense and offensive line lost this football game.

That's 100% true (although wr drops/fumbles didn't help either, or Rex's fumble). But it's difficult to imagine our Oline being able to do much vs a MUCH, MUCH defense than NW. I think we'll need Tmart's run threat in a big way.

Otoh, I've been so wrong about this offense before.....so who knows??

GBR!!

I think it's last years injury that's in his head, not the coaches telling him to slide. The first half of last season, he looked like a legitimate running back in the open field. He made confident cuts with his eyes to the endzone. Ever since then, it always seems he's anticipating getting hit more than anticipating the next opening.

Taylor sliding or running out of bounds did not lose this football game. Taylor played a great game. Our defense and offensive line lost this football game.

That's 100% true (although wr drops/fumbles didn't help either, or Rex's fumble). But it's difficult to imagine our Oline being able to do much vs a MUCH, MUCH defense than NW. I think we'll need Tmart's run threat in a big way.

GBR!!

Absolutely the fumbles killed us, and drops didn't help. But the thread is just sort of weird after this loss. Taylor had very, very little to do with us losing. He played a really great game. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year? Most people think if we lose it has to be Taylor's fault. This game is just the opposite of that theory. Bottom line our defense stunk, Taylor played will, and sliding did not keep us from winning.

Funny how after a game like this, there are still husker fans that feel the need to complain about Taylor...

Funny how after a game like this, there are still husker fans that feel the need to complain about Taylor...

I’m not blaming Taylor or complaining about his play Saturday. He played a great game.

My post was not intended to put any blame on Martinez, it was to point out that in my eyes, that if he is being held back in the running game that it is time to stop it and let him run.

GBR!!

Absolutely the fumbles killed us, and drops didn't help. But the thread is just sort of weird after this loss. Taylor had very, very little to do with us losing. He played a really great game. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year? Most people think if we lose it has to be Taylor's fault. This game is just the opposite of that theory. Bottom line our defense stunk, Taylor played will, and sliding did not keep us from winning.

I thought we played great too but it's no surprise (at all) our fans still diss him. The last 1.5 years has been nothing but overwhelming hatred for the kid on NU cfb forums. I doubt that will ever change.

He's a damn tough kid for still hanging with us.

GBR!!