More Ridiculousness on the O-Line

Everybody east of Portland, Maine not named Cotton knows that Choi is the single best lineman we have. After ARod stunk up the joint again in the first half, Choi cleaned up his mess in the second half. I wanted to lose my lunch when I read these notes about ARod:

"After getting benched in the third quarter of Saturday's loss, left tackle Yoshi Hardrick and left guard Andrew Rodriguez are battling through an intense week to retain their starting jobs.

On Monday, Rodriguez agreed. He didn't see the usual fire last Saturday from the starting five.

"We just beat ourselves," he said. "It was a little bit of everything. Not being focused. Lack of energy. Lack of effort. Everything."

Roridguez, who said he watched film of the game the minute NU staffers posted it on the Internet for players to see, wasn't surprised he was taken out in the third quarter and replaced by Seung Hoon Choi."

This is ridiculous. Rodriquez has had motivation problems most of the season, but he keeps getting the job handed to him. Choi is way better. Tired of Cotton playing favorites. Give the spot to the guy who earns it, not to the guy who kisses your rear end for two years straight to earn brownie points.

• Fire 2

Everybody east of Portland, Maine not named Cotton knows that Choi is the single best lineman we have. After ARod stunk up the joint again in the first half, Choi cleaned up his mess in the second half. I wanted to lose my lunch when I read these notes about ARod:

"After getting benched in the third quarter of Saturday's loss, left tackle Yoshi Hardrick and left guard Andrew Rodriguez are battling through an intense week to retain their starting jobs.

On Monday, Rodriguez agreed. He didn't see the usual fire last Saturday from the starting five.

"We just beat ourselves," he said. "It was a little bit of everything. Not being focused. Lack of energy. Lack of effort. Everything."

Roridguez, who said he watched film of the game the minute NU staffers posted it on the Internet for players to see, wasn't surprised he was taken out in the third quarter and replaced by Seung Hoon Choi."

This is ridiculous. Rodriquez has had motivation problems most of the season, but he keeps getting the job handed to him. Choi is way better. Tired of Cotton playing favorites. Give the spot to the guy who earns it, not to the guy who kisses your rear end for two years straight to earn brownie points.

And west of there too! Or east of Portland, Oregon.

I agree though, I don't understand why Choi doesn't see more action. He's got a helluva motor.

"the minute NU staffers posted it on the Internet for players to see,"?

So they don't go to film study? They wait till ole Barney "posts it on the internet"?

This is different from players not taking it seriously, because you can't do film study of game film for a game that hasn't been played yet.

As for Hardrick fighting for his job now, dang right he should be if he felt he didn't even need to watch film.

"the minute NU staffers posted it on the Internet for players to see,"?

So they don't go to film study? They wait till ole Barney "posts it on the internet"?

I believe he was saying the minute the video was available for him to see it, he watched it. He didn't wait for a film study. Players have an online database to watch film whenever they want, they don't have to go to a film room all of the time.

And west of there too!

Got me on that one! I meant west.

Hardrick came out and said that he didn't even watch game film that week. His words were "we didn't take Northwestern seriously".

And that's a good excuse for not watching the film?

There are two possibilities here: either your technique was sloppy and the other team's was better, or you didn't try. If your technique was sloppy, you should be watching film. If you didn't try, you should be watching the Huskers play on TV, not suiting up with them.

Anyone who ever watched more than a play or two of A-Rod when he was in high school knows his problem. Lack of motivation might be it, but I wreckon it has a lot more to do with being lazy. I watched this kid play lights out for a play or two then take the next three to four off. There were times when he was on defense that the tackle had been made and the play was over before he even got out of his stance. He has the physical tools to be a good lineman. However, it's going to take a special coach to get him over his laziness. Barney isn't this guy.

Hardrick came out and said that he didn't even watch game film that week. His words were "we didn't take Northwestern seriously".

Wow! Just wow!

Link (I really need it)?

You could tell the team came out flat man.....totally underestimated the damage a NW offense could do....and the NW defense was playing fundamentally sound...esp. in the tackling dept. They tackled well. Hearing this SH%^ kinda pisses me off....you don't take ANY TEAM lightly....

If true, then that is a bad sign regarding the attitude and effort of our team. I can't believe some of the players think they are so good they don't have to watch film on their opponents. Yoshi has been referrred to as lazy before. Maybe it's true.

A few weeks back at the big red breakfast Barney was the speaker. He talked about Alex being dinged up but that he would start over Choi anyway for the Wisconsin game. Well you know what happened at Wisconsin. Anyway, just his mannerisms about the topic conveyed to me that ARod is one of his favorites. He sounded almost aplogetic that there were so many walk ons getting playing time on the line. Said that we are probably the only divsion 1 team out there with so many walk ons starting on the line. He mumbled that the schoalrship guys need to step up and get more playing time. I couldn't really believe what I was hearing. I don't care if you're a walk on or a four star recruit. The best guy needs to be the starter. I'm not a coach, but even I can see Choi out playing Andrew on a consistent basis. I just don't get it. :confucius