Should the Huskers boycott the game?

^ discussing anything outside of the Penn State scandal would be nice though. 3 weeks ago was a bye so no football talk, 2 weeks ago was Minnesota so no football talk, last week we rarely talked about Northwestern football, this week nothing to do w/ Penn State football -- this board has become TMZ-esque lately.

I'm ready for this week to be over. Bring on Michigan!

EDIT: Not just this board, but the entire college football world.

I'm ready for it to be over, too. I'm heartsick at this whole mess. I hate that we have to play this game and that we can't just focus on football. Our involvement in this mess can't get over soon enough for me. Just watching TV or reading the webz is going to be difficult for the next several weeks as more of this plays out.

I'm ready for it to be over, too. I'm heartsick at this whole mess. I hate that we have to play this game and that we can't just focus on football. Our involvement in this mess can't get over soon enough for me. Just watching TV or reading the webz is going to be difficult for the next several weeks as more of this plays out.

The old Nietzsche quote about gazing long into an abyss comes to mind.

The deeper we look, the more it gets to us.

I still see the concept of boycotting the game as punishing an innocent majority to avoid projecting an image of supporting a minority.

True, but the (presumed) guilty minority was more than enabled by the majority.

And one only needs to look at the riots to see that the majority would continue to enable said minority.

How many people are at PSU as students and faculty? How many were involved in the riots?

I certainly wouldn't say that a majority are.

Yep, that's pretty much my point. Almost without exception, the morons who go about rioting and such are in the extreme minority. I'd be willing to bet even those who are just protesting peacefully are in the minority. And I'd also bet most have not read the grand jury report - group think is usually not a good thing.

I opened a topic not seeing this one which was locked so I will continue here. The moral and ethical thing to do is not to go and play this game. I know conference standings and money are in play but when does does money and conference standing come above what is right? God only knows how many people in that program knew but it was more than those who have been disciplined so far. So do we reward that by going over there to help put on a show? I don't think so. There will be guilty parties sitting up in the coaching box at the game. How much more wrong can it be?

Granted, this is a completely different, and much worse thing, but the last time Husker fans (and maybe players) didn't want to play in a game, NU lost to Washington 19-7. As fans we have our own reasoning, but the players aren't blind, especially in this age of facebook, twitter, and instant media. They know every bit about this as we, the fans, do.

That said, the coaches have got a lot of work to do to get these guys mentally focused. If the players were 'looking forward' or 'not taking NW serious' last week, who the hell knows where their heads are for this weeks' game.

How is punishing people who had nothing to do with any of it the moral thing to do?

There are going to be hardships for the innocent Penn State players. That is tragic. It is not of Nebraska's doing. And symbolically showing the players of Penn State what we stand for, might be lifelong lesson, not a punishment. What is more benevolent, setting a good example that will stick in someone's mind for life, or letting them play you a game of football? Was it right to boycott the 1980 Olympics? I think it was. There were quite a few innocents there too.