Penn State Scandal Thread

Eric the Red

I think the NCAA will feel compelled to do something so they aren't seen as being insensitive to child rape.

Maybe,

But it will be a ban of postseason and loss of schollies. that's it.

People just need to forget about the removal of the program. The Big Ten has enough political power(not to mention the 3 OOC opponents) to make the case that schedules and revenue will be ruined without these guys.

As much as they deserve the removal of the program, remember that SMU, the only school to get the death penalty was on probation for paying athletes and then got caught, while on probation, for paying athletes.

The precedent for the death penalty is for a repeat offense while on probation.

I think the NCAA will feel compelled to do something so they aren't seen as being insensitive to child rape.

Maybe,

But it will be a ban of postseason and loss of schollies. that's it.

People just need to forget about the removal of the program. The Big Ten has enough political power(not to mention the 3 OOC opponents) to make the case that schedules and revenue will be ruined without these guys.

I strangely agree that the NCAA shouldn't really be involved. Criminal and civil law is for the state of PA and the FBI. The NCAA is to make athletic competition fair. THis has nothing to do with on the field performance. Does anyone really think that there is a danger that this would be repeated but for scholarship penalties?

I don't understand why some folks in the media want the football program at Penn St. shutdown for a year or more. What is that going to change for the families that were affected by the Sandusky incident?

If the football program is shut down at Penn St. what gains come out of it and for who? who loses and what do they lose if the football program is shut down?

If the football program is not shut down, what are the pros and cons for it?

Penn State has damaged college football and its perceived, and in this case very real, place as above the law. Defend them if you want, tell me the NCAA has no authority, tell me most of the people are gone, tell me the masses should not suffer for the deeds of the few, and I will show you a built in, power mad, win at all costs, save the face of The Program, system that needs to be cut out like a cancer.

I don't think you'll get any defenders. Shutting down the program for a year or more is necessary. I wouldn't feel too sorry for the masses. The masses elevated Paterno to this god-like status which allowed him to cover this up. Too much corruption beyond their school administrators and football staff. I read that the police replied to Paterno inquiries concerning the '89 incident that no crime needed to be logged. Strange wording. I think people must have bought into the squeaky clean image and decided that it was in their own personal/professional interest to do their part to maintain it. I still think there is something rotten that the scandal hit the fan right after Paterno got the all time win record. That needs to be investigated. Watch the movie "Art of the Steal" to get an understanding of how the PA government works and how $40 billion of art could be taken.

Take down the statue, strip the wins back to 2001, remove the name Paterno from anything related to football. Leave Paterno name on the library so that people are reminded of the good things he did. Suspend the program for a while and let the fans contemplate the relative importance of football.

There will be no death penalty.

WAAAAAY too much money.Can you imagine?

NCAA to BTN : "Sorry Big Ten Network you're losing millions and millions of dollar in revenue because we have to shut down the Nits for a year or two"

This isn't the 1980's. For better or worse college football is too big to ruin the pie for everyone by shutting the Nits down.

Hopefully people will find the Nit slice of the pie too tainted to swallow.

I don't know what the answer is. As I see it, the best case for shutting down the program is to bring some balance back in the college and community. You have a serial child molester, a huge cover up of it, and the main outrage is that the beloved football coach was fired. Just the culture that a coach had such power to keep the hideous crimes from being reported shows how out of whack things are there. You can fire the participants, but I'm seeing nothing that says the environment is really changing. Maybe something more drastic needs to happen to wake these people up to the reality of what went on. Maybe this is too drastic, and penalizes too many mostly innocent bystanders. And maybe the environment at Penn State isn't all that different from some other campuses.

Would it help the victims and their families? Maybe a little, just like charging Curley and Schultz? They weren't the monsters, but they contributed to the situation, and I wouldn't like to see them get away scot-free. But there's probably not too much satisfaction in it, not like seeing Sandusky put away.

I have no answers, but I can see a case for both sides. And really, expecting some solution to make everything all better just isn't realistic here. There probably isn't a good solution, just one that doesn't suck as much as others.

I admit I was definately wrong. For the first 9 months or so, I thought JoePa was completely innocent...... aware but no coverup at all because he was correct procedures just after McQuery meeting ...... you know, chain of comand higher authoritie(s). (Assuming Freeh's report is accurate). Now NCAA. God committee (NCAA) needs to waive transfer rules right away with no one-year waiting period.

Sending more than just Sandusky to jail seems like the right thing to do. A complete overhaul of the Penn St. Board of trustees, adminstration, football coaching staff, school security, and their oversight protocol. But i still don't think that shutting down the football program at PSU for 1 - 3 years is the right thing.

I don't think you'll get any defenders. Shutting down the program for a year or more is necessary. I wouldn't feel too sorry for the masses. The masses elevated Paterno to this god-like status which allowed him to cover this up. Too much corruption beyond their school administrators and football staff. I read that the police replied to Paterno inquiries concerning the '89 incident that no crime needed to be logged. Strange wording. I think people must have bought into the squeaky clean image and decided that it was in their own personal/professional interest to do their part to maintain it. I still think there is something rotten that the scandal hit the fan right after Paterno got the all time win record. That needs to be investigated.

In regards to the police report keep in mind that it was the Penn State University PD that handled the investigation not an outside agency.

That being said I do agree with you in principal that all of the powers involved in the cover-up have yet to be identified (and unfortunately likely never will be).

As I've stated before the entire culture within State College needs to be scrubbed clean & replaced, not an easy task.

Watch the movie "Art of the Steal" to get an understanding of how the PA government works and how $40 billion of art could be taken.

You know I didn't think anyone could introduce another topic into this story that makes my blood boil almost as much, but the theft of the Barnes collection is right up there.

Sending more than just Sandusky to jail seems like the right thing to do. A complete overhaul of the Penn St. Board of trustees, adminstration, football coaching staff, school security, and their oversight protocol. But i still don't think that shutting down the football program at PSU for 1 - 3 years is the right thing.

And why not the women's basketball team? The Athletic Director and U President were all culpable. Shouldn't every sport get sanctioned? Maybe some other departments? If the point is to make the school suffer than pick anything that people like.

The point is the NCAA sanctions Southern Cal, duh U, et al because if they don't hit the school's football team, the same behavior will start right up again once things quiet down. There's no competitive advantage. And no way Penn St tolerates a sex criminal again. The million$ they'll pay out and the prison sentences some people are going to serve will be the deterrent.

Joe Paterno Negotiated A $3 Million Ejector Seat After He Was Subpoenaed For Sandusky Grand Jury

by Sean Newell, www.deadspin.com, July 14, 2012

Remember when the heroic, did-what-he-was-supposed-to-do coach Joe Paterno valiantly fell on his sword in November, and told the Penn State board of trustees that there was no need to fire him, he would resign at the end of the year? A bold move by a proud man man, right? Like much of what we once knew of Joe Paterno, this appears to be full of sh#t.

In early January 2011, Joe Paterno was subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury with regard to sexual assault allegations against his former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. According to The New York Times, that same month Paterno also began negotiating an amendment to his contract—a shocking move according to "university documents and people with knowledge of the discussions" because it was not set to expire until 2012. Specifically, Paterno agreed to a provision that would pay him $3 million if 2011 were his last season. He also negotiated all sorts of other perks for his family that Spanier eventually approved. The terms were agreed to by August; just a few months before the sh#t hit the fan.

LINK

Say it ain't so, Joe.

I was banned so I couldn't post it, but about a week ago, a very respected poster on PSU's Scout message board posted the following message:

irondoc

[scout Subscriber]

Butkus Winner

7013 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Nominate | Report

Posted: Today 10:00 PM

Absolute possible worst case scenario is true

Is what it is. My children, twins, and their graduation party today. a friend was one of the investigators on this case. there will be from 11 - 30 more victims coming forward. Sandusky had little asterisks behind the names of the victims.

Spanier, Baldwin, Curley, Schultz ,and Joe Paterno were all complicit in a cover up. Joe was mentioned in emails.

Sandusky was forced out and they all knew why. Bradley and Ganter perjured themselves on the stand. thank God they hired outside.

And my friend mentioned if he was not dead Paterno would be arrested. the BOT is right. Joyner is right, and Corbett is right.

It was as bad as the worst accusations. I know this fellow for fifteen years and trust him implicitly. I will answer questions from moderators in pms, but no one else. This stuff might or might not come out, but this person is privy to all the emails, evidence and such. He was actually on television last night when Sandusky came out of the courthouse.

I was at a function today where I had this conversation. I willl not respond more to this thread, only to moderators in pms with the promise of privacy.

Based on the emails that are now coming out, this appears to most likely all be true.

Honestly, I think Penn State deserves the death penalty here.

No. This is a legal issue. This is not an NCAA issue. This has nothing to do with the NCAA at all. They didn't get a competitive advantage on the field, which is all the NCAA is responsible for. Don't worry though, they're going to get something far worse than the death penalty: loads and loads of jail time. The university, the football program, and the fans have suffered enough as a result of these men's actions. Death Penalty would accomplish absolutely nothing.

I disagree. The death penalty allow PSU to clean house. It allows the program to truly reboot after a time and start rolling again. Unless the entire program is cleared out people will always wonder who knew what and when. Shut down football (either PSu chooses to, or the NCAA forces) let the kids on scolly to keep them, or transfer. Start back in a few years with a clean slate, IMO this will do more good for them than anything else.

I disagree. you can do everything you just stated with out the death penalty.

Jay Paterno needs to stop talking about how this whole investigation is just an "opinion" and not the cold hard facts. I just am sick hearing the name Penn State now, just horrible what happened, so many lives changed forever.

well it is just an opinion. this investigation was paid for by PS to see where they stand, and its on shaky grounds. I'm not sure if the criminal investigations are completed yet.

And why not the women's basketball team? The Athletic Director and U President were all culpable. Shouldn't every sport get sanctioned? Maybe some other departments? If the point is to make the school suffer than pick anything that people like.

The point is the NCAA sanctions Southern Cal, duh U, et al because if they don't hit the school's football team, the same behavior will start right up again once things quiet down. There's no competitive advantage. And no way Penn St tolerates a sex criminal again. The million$ they'll pay out and the prison sentences some people are going to serve will be the deterrent.

I guess the math dept should be shut down because the President was involved. I love seeing all these knee jerk reactions.

Incorrect. The negative publicity generated by outing Sandusky as a child rapist would have almost certainly hit Penn State in terms of recruiting and donations. They covered up Sandusky's actions to protect the school and more specifically the football program from negative publicity. They didn't do it to protect Sandusky. Granted, PSU is about to get repaid the negative publicity with interest, but that's not enough. If the NCAA wants any credibility to continue dealing with institutional control problems, they have to drop the hammer on PSU. I'm not saying death penalty, necessarily (although I'm personally in favor, as I think NCAA sanctions would work better if they actually did some damage), but if OSU loses a bowl game and some scholarships because Tressel covered up his players getting free tattoos, how could the NCAA possibily justify not hitting Penn State several times harder? Is PSU somehow exempted because it was paid employees doing stupid things instead of amateur athletes?

Incorrect. The negative publicity generated by outing Sandusky as a child rapist would have almost certainly hit Penn State in terms of recruiting and donations. They covered up Sandusky's actions to protect the school and more specifically the football program from negative publicity. They didn't do it to protect Sandusky. Granted, PSU is about to get repaid the negative publicity with interest, but that's not enough. If the NCAA wants any credibility to continue dealing with institutional control problems, they have to drop the hammer on PSU. I'm not saying death penalty, necessarily (although I'm personally in favor, as I think NCAA sanctions would work better if they actually did some damage), but if OSU loses a bowl game and some scholarships because Tressel covered up his players getting free tattoos, how could the NCAA possibily justify not hitting Penn State several times harder? Is PSU somehow exempted because it was paid employees doing stupid things instead of amateur athletes?

I think the message the NCAA wants to send is that if you inform the outside authorities, your football program won't suffer. The NCAA should not declare that there is a competitive advantage to covering this up. They should not equate a reputation hit to a competitive advantage. Imagine a case at another school where there McCreary sees something and then "oh by the way this was going on for a while and they'll think we knew about it."

Secondly, deterrence isn't needed here like it is in Miami et al. That was sports cheating that would restart once people turned their backs. It would not in PSU's case, thankfully. The NCAA policies things that not crimes, for the most part. PSU, and therefore the state taxpayers, is going to get hit with millions in lawsuits. Add that to the fact that the concealers will get put on trial and may serve time.

So who's left to deter? The university official that is willing to risk arrest and huge civil lawsuits on himself, but draws the line at the football team.