Where are morals in College Football?

clyde_40

College football is about money. Greed and good morals NEVER go together. That is why I don't watch as much football as I used to and I see one day I might just stop watching all together. I wish it was about love of the game, but unfortunately it isn't. I am kinda disgusted with the whole landscape of college football.

Depending on how far you want to go back, football is a bigger financial deal to colleges and universities than probably any time in the past. Someone probably made a (very) coldly calculated choice to cover it up. If there weren't millions of dollars of contractso n the line, they probably would have behaved "morally" (though the factors weighted in the decision process probably would have negated some of the morality). But they basically made a bet-- that the risk of the coverup was better than the risk of almost certain repercussions if it had leaked out. Esecially since it had been going on before anyone found out. They'd still have to deal with the fact that they didn't know... They probably saw coming clean and doing the right thing as a financial lose/lose, but the other had the reward of a huge continued payout from media, junk, etc... but with the risk of this.

I honestly think it was money, is what I'm saying. Money and reasoning like robots.

Oh, and I don't think that morality has changed, just the financial stakes. There always will be and have been people who WOULD have made the right call no matter hte financial stakes, but those people tend to not find themselves in positions of power.

It's really depressing how bad the state of college football has gotten.

Everyone has their own agendas and will for the end of time. I think the difference between now and then is that news travels SO much faster these days, it's a lot easier to get and receive info which leads to these things being exposed.

Paying for players has gone on since the 80s. (See SMU) Obviously the PSU fiasco started in the late 90s and early 00s. It's not so much that these things are all happening in this day in age, it's that we now have the resources and technology to expose it.

This kind of thing would've happened in the 50's or even in the 20's and would not have cause nearly as much fall out. Sure our morals aren't where they used to be but PSU will pay for this and society as a whole will hold them accountable.

This kind of thing happened in previous eras, which were no more moral than we are today, the people simply kept their mouths shut out of fear and shame. It was that old school fear and shame that led to the Penn State cover up.

Funny (but not ha ha funny, at least to me). On a different message board a fan reacting to the Penn State fiasco said it proved that what we need is direct government oversight of college sports. I agree that college sports is a cess pool. But I have a hard time believing that government oversight will do anything other than create a bunch of hack jobs for in-laws.

I think they reflect society. It's no worse or better. I'm also skeptical that things are much worse now. There's just more media coverage and faster spread of things.

I read the title and what you wrote is exactly what I would have written with only one addition.

We have developed a culture that 'wants to see people fail'. I call it a reality show culture. The media feeds off of it because they know we crave the flaws of others.

It really doesn't have anything to do with college athletics in my opinion.

Funny (but not ha ha funny, at least to me). On a different message board a fan reacting to the Penn State fiasco said it proved that what we need is direct government oversight of college sports. I agree that college sports is a cess pool. But I have a hard time believing that government oversight will do anything other than create a bunch of hack jobs for in-laws.

Yeah because everything the government does is highly moral and never concerned with money!