We Should Put a Blue "N" on our Helmet Saturday . . .

In a show of support to Penn State players and the entire State College community, I think it would be cool if we replaced the red N on our helmets with a blue N this week. There is a lot of pain that there team and community is going through.

I don't necessarily agree with this. A very discreet show of support would be more than adequate. Doing anything to draw that much attention can be taken the wrong way. Right or wrong; to me part of the problem is lumping these tragic events together with this game. It is purely coincidental that NU is playing PSU during this tumultuous time. PSU needs to heal granted. Support the victims first and foremost. Attempt to understand and be empathetic to those struggling to comprehend how people they trusted could have allowed this to happen. It is a sad state of affairs all the way around no doubt. Lets not feed the media circus this has turned into. They will not postpone or cancel this game so our team has to play and move on. Pray for the victims and do whatever they can if so inclined; I just don't think this game should be used by NU as a way to make a statement about the events surrounding it.

Just to add.

College football, specifically Penn State, is walking on egg shells right. How about they show up the same way they always would. Play hard, with respect and honor....then leave. There is far too much going on for us to get involved in anyway whatsoever.

...that'd be pretty cool. a show of good morals by our university.

I... head that too. I think it would be very cool if Husker fans wore some blue to the game. I like the idea of a blue sticker on our helmets too.

Yeah, this would give us all a sense of accomplishment without actually having to get up and do anything...

Okay, here's my problem with all of this symbolism:

<BEGIN RANT>Every service organization, nonprofit organization, and youth group of which I am a member or know about is slowly dying because they cannot keep up their membership. Why? Because everybody thinks that feel good, do nothing, gestures are a good substitute for actually getting up early on a Saturday morning and accomplishing something concrete.

Want to save a rain forest? Put this picture on your Facebook. Want to help someone in trouble? Wear a ribbon. Want to rescue the country? Stand around and hold a sign. Want to do good? Send an e-mail to five other people, maybe one of them will leave his chair and go out in the world and do something to make it a better place.

There is nothing one can do either at or with a football game to address this problem. That moment has already come and gone. The next problem such as this won't happen in the Huskerboard forum or at the toin coss of Saturday's game. If it happens, it is going to be because nobody is there when someone is needed. So we will have to have one of us there to prevent it or stop it, rather than trying to get the warm and fuzzies because Eric Martin knocked a kick returner down while wearing a blue N or a blue ribbon.

I could care less how anybody feels about anything. Show me what you are doing about it. <END RANT>

• Fire 3

...that'd be pretty cool. a show of good morals by our university.

I... head that too. I think it would be very cool if Husker fans wore some blue to the game. I like the idea of a blue sticker on our helmets too.

Yeah, this would give us all a sense of accomplishment without actually having to get up and do anything...

Okay, here's my problem with all of this symbolism:

<BEGIN RANT>Every service organization, nonprofit organization, and youth group of which I am a member or know about is slowly dying because they cannot keep up their membership. Why? Because everybody thinks that feel good, do nothing, gestures are a good substitute for actually getting up early on a Saturday morning and accomplishing something concrete.

Want to save a rain forest? Put this picture on your Facebook. Want to help someone in trouble? Wear a ribbon. Want to rescue the country? Stand around and hold a sign. Want to do good? Send an e-mail to five other people, maybe one of them will leave his chair and go out in the world and do something to make it a better place.

There is nothing one can do either at or with a football game to address this problem. That moment has already come and gone. The next problem such as this won't happen in the Huskerboard forum or at the toin coss of Saturday's game. If it happens, it is going to be because nobody is there when someone is needed. So we will have to have one of us there to prevent it or stop it, rather than trying to get the warm and fuzzies because Eric Martin knocked a kick returner down while wearing a blue N or a blue ribbon.

I could care less how anybody feels about anything. Show me what you are doing about it. <END RANT>

Perhaps you should. I work in an elementary school. NO kid on my watch is ever going to get hurt. I see nothing wrong with showing support to PSU in fact, I think they would appreciate it. I agree that going to State College and playing hard-having a 'normal' football game is going to go a long way towards some healing. However, I see nothing wrong with showing support to a hurting fan base. You've shared how you think the PSU fans should be supported, but don't crap on the rest of us just because we have a different way of showing our support. No disrespect intended but please consider the attitude of our hearts before you lambast us. We just want to help in some way.

I am torn on this topic. I too work at a school and everything that has been reported makes me tremendously sick to my stomach. I do think PSU had NO CHOICE but to let Jo Pa go .... they are a hurting University at this point. My problem being, yes, the figure heads at PSU are doing EVERYTHING to take a step in the right direction, but they are only doing this NOW... I wish there was a way to "support' the true VICTIMS in this case....and no, the real victims arent' PSU fans, regents, etc..... On the other hand, I know (think) that most people around PSU are also sickened and feel lost.... It would be nice to show them that people around the nation won't condemn an entire University for the actions (or lack there of) of a few.

This is so much deeper than what happens on a football field. (not that anyone has ever hinted that)..... I am just lost on what the right thing to do is...

I do understand what Bowfin's rant was about.... Way too many people just jump in and take the EASY way out... I coach a football team, and all the kids want to wear pink bands to "support" breast cancer.....but they wont go out and collect $$$$ or participate in fund raising events.... too me, this is a "shallow" way to make an effort to show support... only for "impression" purposes..... Ask yourself... Are you really doing something because you really care, or just because it would "look good" if you do it"????

I am torn on this topic. I too work at a school and everything that has been reported makes me tremendously sick to my stomach. I do think PSU had NO CHOICE but to let Jo Pa go .... they are a hurting University at this point. My problem being, yes, the figure heads at PSU are doing EVERYTHING to take a step in the right direction, but they are only doing this NOW... I wish there was a way to "support' the true VICTIMS in this case....and no, the real victims arent' PSU fans, regents, etc..... On the other hand, I know (think) that most people around PSU are also sickened and feel lost.... It would be nice to show them that people around the nation won't condemn an entire University for the actions (or lack there of) of a few.

This is so much deeper than what happens on a football field. (not that anyone has ever hinted that)..... I am just lost on what the right thing to do is...

I do understand what Bowfin's rant was about.... Way too many people just jump in and take the EASY way out... I coach a football team, and all the kids want to wear pink bands to "support" breast cancer.....but they wont go out and collect $$$$ or participate in fund raising events.... too me, this is a "shallow" way to make an effort to show support... only for "impression" purposes..... Ask yourself... Are you really doing something because you really care, or just because it would "look good" if you do it"????

This whole thing hits home for me. My brother was almost molested by our principal in grade school. However, he refused to do what the principal said along with a few other boys and that principal was lucky to get out of our small town alive. I'm also a mom and an educator. I know that if this happened to one of my kids when they were young, I would appreciate any act of support or kindness. But I DO agree with you and with Bowfish's rant (although he could've left out the part dissing other people's efforts) if you're doing it just for show then don't but if you truly care then don't hesitate to say a kind word or if you're going to the game and it's your personality to do something like wear some blue, then do it. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

i think nebraska should just show up and play, and then leave. i understand that this is a horrible horrible thing that has happened. but i think it would be better if everybody especially the penn state fans can just show up and watch a football game that doesnt remind them of what happened. everytime they look at the replay board and seen a husker with a blue ribbon or N or what have you on there jersey it will just remind them of the pain that the college is going thru

i think nebraska should just show up and play, and then leave. i understand that this is a horrible horrible thing that has happened. but i think it would be better if everybody especially the penn state fans can just show up and watch a football game that doesnt remind them of what happened. everytime they look at the replay board and seen a husker with a blue ribbon or N or what have you on there jersey it will just remind them of the pain that the college is going thru

They will see those ribbons on their own fans. There is a huge movement of PSU students who are going to be wearing blue on Saturday and some will be wearing ribbons as well. I think it will encourage them (jmho :)) that so many people think that much of them that they would take the extra time to try to do something to show support.