We Should Put a Blue "N" on our Helmet Saturday . . .

I am torn on this topic. I too work at a school and everything that has been reported makes me tremendously sick to my stomach. I do think PSU had NO CHOICE but to let Jo Pa go .... they are a hurting University at this point. My problem being, yes, the figure heads at PSU are doing EVERYTHING to take a step in the right direction, but they are only doing this NOW... I wish there was a way to "support' the true VICTIMS in this case....and no, the real victims arent' PSU fans, regents, etc..... On the other hand, I know (think) that most people around PSU are also sickened and feel lost.... It would be nice to show them that people around the nation won't condemn an entire University for the actions (or lack there of) of a few.

This is so much deeper than what happens on a football field. (not that anyone has ever hinted that)..... I am just lost on what the right thing to do is...

I do understand what Bowfin's rant was about.... Way too many people just jump in and take the EASY way out... I coach a football team, and all the kids want to wear pink bands to "support" breast cancer.....but they wont go out and collect $$$$ or participate in fund raising events.... too me, this is a "shallow" way to make an effort to show support... only for "impression" purposes..... Ask yourself... Are you really doing something because you really care, or just because it would "look good" if you do it"????

This whole thing hits home for me. My brother was almost molested by our principal in grade school. However, he refused to do what the principal said along with a few other boys and that principal was lucky to get out of our small town alive. I'm also a mom and an educator. I know that if this happened to one of my kids when they were young, I would appreciate any act of support or kindness. But I DO agree with you and with Bowfish's rant (although he could've left out the part dissing other people's efforts) if you're doing it just for show then don't but if you truly care then don't hesitate to say a kind word or if you're going to the game and it's your personality to do something like wear some blue, then do it. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

I express my sorrow to you and your family, and as not only an educator, but a person, am also thankful things didn't go that direction for you. But this is where my "torn" feelings come from..... You said that YOU would appreciate any kind words or support IF it happened to YOUR family.... This is why I wish there was a way to express sorrow to the families directly involved....not to the University that "covered" the unspeakable for at least 10 years... Now, please don't take me wrong.... I KNOW that the good people and fans of PSU have absolutely nothing to do with this, and they and their beloved University is taking hits all over the country... I am not saying that the people in charge (regents) have done anything wrong...in fact, they seem to be heading in the right direction....... But, whether it is right or wrong, the past people of the University have been WRONG in handling this.... Does showing support to the University that at one time covered it up, be another slap in the face of the victims???? I do NOT know... I am asking..... Does that make any sense or am I just completely off base here.....

I think that it is absolutely the right thing to do if you get a chance to talk to fans and express your sorrow..... I also get that the support some want to show is for the "new" regimn and how they are handling it, but not sure.

... We just want to help in some way.

Excellent! Find an organization that has something to do with kids and volunteer.

I do that already. But I found out that the PSU folks are asking for funds if you want to support the victims of this tragedy. (I posted it under another thread.) Think I'll send them a check...Join me?

I am torn on this topic. I too work at a school and everything that has been reported makes me tremendously sick to my stomach. I do think PSU had NO CHOICE but to let Jo Pa go .... they are a hurting University at this point. My problem being, yes, the figure heads at PSU are doing EVERYTHING to take a step in the right direction, but they are only doing this NOW... I wish there was a way to "support' the true VICTIMS in this case....and no, the real victims arent' PSU fans, regents, etc..... On the other hand, I know (think) that most people around PSU are also sickened and feel lost.... It would be nice to show them that people around the nation won't condemn an entire University for the actions (or lack there of) of a few.

This is so much deeper than what happens on a football field. (not that anyone has ever hinted that)..... I am just lost on what the right thing to do is...

I do understand what Bowfin's rant was about.... Way too many people just jump in and take the EASY way out... I coach a football team, and all the kids want to wear pink bands to "support" breast cancer.....but they wont go out and collect $$$$ or participate in fund raising events.... too me, this is a "shallow" way to make an effort to show support... only for "impression" purposes..... Ask yourself... Are you really doing something because you really care, or just because it would "look good" if you do it"????

This whole thing hits home for me. My brother was almost molested by our principal in grade school. However, he refused to do what the principal said along with a few other boys and that principal was lucky to get out of our small town alive. I'm also a mom and an educator. I know that if this happened to one of my kids when they were young, I would appreciate any act of support or kindness. But I DO agree with you and with Bowfish's rant (although he could've left out the part dissing other people's efforts) if you're doing it just for show then don't but if you truly care then don't hesitate to say a kind word or if you're going to the game and it's your personality to do something like wear some blue, then do it. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

I express my sorrow to you and your family, and as not only an educator, but a person, am also thankful things didn't go that direction for you. But this is where my "torn" feelings come from..... You said that YOU would appreciate any kind words or support IF it happened to YOUR family.... This is why I wish there was a way to express sorrow to the families directly involved....not to the University that "covered" the unspeakable for at least 10 years... Now, please don't take me wrong.... I KNOW that the good people and fans of PSU have absolutely nothing to do with this, and they and their beloved University is taking hits all over the country... I am not saying that the people in charge (regents) have done anything wrong...in fact, they seem to be heading in the right direction....... But, whether it is right or wrong, the past people of the University have been WRONG in handling this.... Does showing support to the University that at one time covered it up, be another slap in the face of the victims???? I do NOT know... I am asking..... Does that make any sense or am I just completely off base here.....

I think that it is absolutely the right thing to do if you get a chance to talk to fans and express your sorrow..... I also get that the support some want to show is for the "new" regimn and how they are handling it, but not sure.

I hope that our fans get a chance to 'tailgate' with the PSU fans. From what I've read on the Penn State Message Boards, they are looking forward to having NU come to play on Saturday. Here's to a really good football game. GBR!

Per ESPN: .....Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne feels certain his school's football traveling party and fans will be safe at Saturday's game at Penn State.

Still, he thinks folks might want to keep their red Cornhuskers gear at home, or at least wear a different colored coat over it.

"I just don't know if it's a good idea in this circumstance to stand out," Osborne said Thursday night.

I'd post the link but don't know how. If you'd like to see the article it's on ESPN's main page and on their college football main page as well.

Why would anyone be afraid to "stand out" ? The PSU family isn't "mad" at Nebraska or any other university. They are fighting within their own campus and with the powers that may be. I don't understand why wearing red would make you a target. Now, if you wore red and said something inappropriate...."watch out"... but just to show up and cheer for your team should have nothing to do with their frustrations... They were rioting against themselves, not outsiders.... I am not sure it would matter what "color" you wore or wear. If caught in a bad situation Saturday, it would be probably more by "chance" rather than being a Nebraska fan. I feel that PSU fans wouldn't want any more negative press right now anyway.

This was Osborne's real quote.

"We always like to have our fans wear red. But in this case, I think that Bo and his team and myself would be understanding if somebody didn't show up in red. I don’t think I've ever said that before. I think maybe this is a time when I would advise that," Osborne said in the interview.

I don't see any where in the interview that Osborne says "Don't wear red to the game."

Screw their players, and screw the community of fans that went out in support of JoePa last night. It makes me sick to hear their players, and some of their fan base talking about playing Saturday for Joe, and wearing white for Joe.

If Nebraska fans want to do anything, they should wear light blue like some of the respectable fans of PSU are doing to show support to the victims of these sickening events.