Kyler Reed

One thing that baffles me about our offensive play calling and position players is where the heck has Reed been all year??!! I cannot believe that it takes a hurt Ben Cotton to get Reed into the game. He became an instant impact in the game catching 3 balls for 40 yards. You would think that Beck would be smarter than that in starting him more. Especially since it looked like our new game plan calls to stretch the field vertically with the passing game. I really don't get it!

Agreed, and its why coaches lose games...be it for ego or something else? Reed is a very good player...Cotton is good too, but by comparison Reed is a multi talented weapon...so what, that he's missed some blocks...this entire offense has missed too many blocks to count and some of the biggest offenders never get pulled. As a recvr his threats are speed and hands not made of stone, as big a threat right now as we have...his hands are spectacular compared to others...

Part of Reed's problem is his blocking is terrible. He had the DE on that fourth-and-one pitch to Rex, and if you notice, his man made the tackle, preventing Rex from getting the outside.

Reed has significant lapses in blocking, and in this offense, that's a huge problem. However, I think we're misusing Reed, since we constantly put him in a key blocking position at the point of attack and not Cotton. Cotton is the best blocking TE, so we throw him the most passes. Reed is the best pass-catching TE, so we have him block all the time.

Makes no sense.

Part of Reed's problem is his blocking is terrible. He had the DE on that fourth-and-one pitch to Rex, and if you notice, his man made the tackle, preventing Rex from getting the outside.

Reed has significant lapses in blocking, and in this offense, that's a huge problem. However, I think we're misusing Reed, since we constantly put him in a key blocking position at the point of attack and not Cotton. Cotton is the best blocking TE, so we throw him the most passes. Reed is the best pass-catching TE, so we have him block all the time.

Makes no sense.

I think it's the same thing with our WR's....you have to block first before you get the priviledge of catching the gold..

Makes no sense.

It's all in the master plan to confuse the defense by doing exactly what we shouldn't do....they never see it coming....

What amazes me is he is an instant match up problem with any safety or linebacker. Last year we ate everyone up going over the top with him and we have ran that just a handful of times this year. Our Offense of staff has struggled all year in finding mismatches and putting the right people in the right spots all year. I hope another year in the system they will be able to figure this out!!!!

I think what they did to Mike McNeil would be perfect for Kyler Reed. However, that was under the old staff and schemes, and there seems to be an influx of talent at WR so it probably doesnt' work as well now.

Personally IMO, Kyler Reed with his hands, could do a lot of damage from the slot.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I still haven't quite figured out why McNeil was moved to WR last year, but whatever. In my opinion, Kyler Reed is a much better fit for making the transition.

If it were me in Bo's shoes........................I'd put Reed in as a wide receiver on pure pass plays. He may not be able to block, but the boy can catch and with our catching issues right now I'd put a sure handed guy in there when they were gonna pass the ball. If you want to put Cotton in at the same time..........go for it! I still think Bell and Enunwa are good receivers, but Turner and Reed on the field at the same in a passing situation with Bell and Enunwa.....................wow talk about weapons. I think our best receiver package on the field with an empty backfield would be Cotton as the TE, Reed as the slot, and Enunwa, Turner, and Bell filling in the other positions. This equals a screwed secondary for the opposing team.

Spencer Long's block didn't help at all either. Couldn't tell if Burkhead or Long was running the ball on how far both were back in the backfield during that play.

Makes no sense.

I believe Cotton was hurt and that is why Reed was in as a blocker. Not sure though.