The Zone-Read Triple Option....thing

Landlord

Just for the record, we are seeing about the same level of creativity and success that we did last season before our freshman quarterback was hurt.

It's also pretty much the same thing people hated about Shawn Watson when Taylor Martinez stopped wowing the college football world..

Gotta respectfully disagree with you on this........................Watson was uncanny about finding something that DID work..............and then inexplicably going AWAY from it.........(perhaps to prove his OWN creativity??)

I remember a lot of people saying the same thing, but I'm not sure it's that inexplicable. We may forget that Watson had two good seasons coaching second-tier offensive talent, but Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini were both suitably impressed. Then there was 2009 when Watson had two inexperienced quarterbacks and three injured running backs, and since NOTHING was working well, there wasn't much to go away from. In 2010 he threw together a new offense around an untested freshman quarterback, and we had an offense that could win with Martinez running, Martinez passing, or Martinez handing off to Roy Helu. Until Martinez was injured, there weren't many complaints about playcalling. Fumbles, penalties and dropped passes were the problem. When it appeared that the coaching staff - headed by Bo Pelini - preferred Martinez playing on a bloody stump to either Cody Green or Zac Lee, there were genuine problems as to what the offense could still do. The only thing I remember being successful that Watson inexplicable went away from was using Burkhead in the Wildcat to take some of the pressure off Martinez. But most coaches concede that the Wildcat only works in small doses.

It was time for Watson to go and I really like what Beck's doing. I just think Watson would be calling pretty much the same game given this same team. Nebraska's problem has been its ability to get its collective head in the game and execute mistake free fundamentals. That's on the head coach and the players as much as the offensive playcaller, but folks were too vested in Pelini, and Watson was guilty by association with Callahan.

I will say this... Beck will learn very quickly that being conservative and keeping his playcalling simple will not win him any points at all. He was hired to replace someone who would do that on a nightmarish level,

Boy, do people remember things differently.

Virtually every Watson hater - and most of the comments preceeding yours - complain that Watson was always trying to be too clever, and never trimmed his WCO playbook down far enough.

Well...put it this way....Beck has been making adjustments to the offensive gameplan in-game based on what he observes. Theoretically, heres prob. a few things he looks at: the opposing defense (take what they give), experimentation (can we still run the ball effectively with 8 to 9 in the box, utilize bread and butter running game), does Martinez have the hot hand?(let Martinez throw the ball up more), etc. I am not an offensive coordinator....NOT BY A LONG SHOT....but these are just a few guesses as to what goes through Beck's head during a game. I believe these are also decent reasons as to why Beck calls the game he calls. Obviously...there prob. is plenty of reasons that go through his head as to why he calls the game he calls.

Zone read, zone read option, belly option, diamond formation, I formation, trickeration (e.g., Kenny Bell reverse), and on and on. Right now we have one of the most creative offenses in the nation. Not necessarily the most effective. But the most creative. And fun to watch!

Hadn't seen this before the PSU game this season, Taylor gets the ball in shotgun and runs a zone-read with his running-back, keeps the ball and then runs a traditional option with the same runningback. I guess come to think of it, I've never seen this ran by any team before - seems like a really creative playcall, and it got us a lot of good gainers on Saturday!

Loving the creativity that Beck is bringing to our offense without getting quite too cute, although sometimes he flirts with it.

This about sums it up.....

And backs up your statements.

""Some games I get conservative. I play not to lose, instead of to win. That was evident," the first-year offensive coordinator said Saturday. "As I looked back and really thought about it, we've got to be who we are. And that's an attacking offense.""

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/711129802

I'm glad he admits he got conservative, but I'm even more relieved that he feels as though he should have done different with our type of offense. I'm beginning to really like this guy.

i like him a lot too, and he is learning. on offense, every play matters so much. what you do and how it works out on 1st and 10 affects the next three plays. it is a lot of pressure and seems like it would be easy to think too much or panic.

Hadn't seen this before the PSU game this season, Taylor gets the ball in shotgun and runs a zone-read with his running-back, keeps the ball and then runs a traditional option with the same runningback. I guess come to think of it, I've never seen this ran by any team before - seems like a really creative playcall, and it got us a lot of good gainers on Saturday!

Loving the creativity that Beck is bringing to our offense without getting quite too cute, although sometimes he flirts with it.

This about sums it up.....

And backs up your statements.

""Some games I get conservative. I play not to lose, instead of to win. That was evident," the first-year offensive coordinator said Saturday. "As I looked back and really thought about it, we've got to be who we are. And that's an attacking offense.""

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/711129802

I'm glad he admits he got conservative, but I'm even more relieved that he feels as though he should have done different with our type of offense. I'm beginning to really like this guy.

i like him a lot too, and he is learning. on offense, every play matters so much. what you do and how it works out on 1st and 10 affects the next three plays. it is a lot of pressure and seems like it would be easy to think too much or panic.

Exactly. Getting off to a good start on drives is crucial to our success.

Watson ran the same zone read play out of the same shotgun formation pretty much every down. His offense wasn't multiple at all. This year we run speed options, belly options, power options, zone reads, triple options, and run them out of 15 different formations. It's multiple yet not over complicated. Plus our passing game is improving just our "leader" in Kinnie can't catch a cold and our freshman struggle with drops too. I can't wait until Bell, Turner, and all these guys get another year under their belt.

Just for the record, we are seeing about the same level of creativity and success that we did last season before our freshman quarterback was hurt.

It's also pretty much the same thing people hated about Shawn Watson when Taylor Martinez stopped wowing the college football world..

Gotta respectfully disagree with you on this........................Watson was uncanny about finding something that DID work..............and then inexplicably going AWAY from it.........(perhaps to prove his OWN creativity??)

I remember a lot of people saying the same thing, but I'm not sure it's that inexplicable. We may forget that Watson had two good seasons coaching second-tier offensive talent, but Tom Osborne and Bo Pelini were both suitably impressed. Then there was 2009 when Watson had two inexperienced quarterbacks and three injured running backs, and since NOTHING was working well, there wasn't much to go away from. In 2010 he threw together a new offense around an untested freshman quarterback, and we had an offense that could win with Martinez running, Martinez passing, or Martinez handing off to Roy Helu. Until Martinez was injured, there weren't many complaints about playcalling. Fumbles, penalties and dropped passes were the problem. When it appeared that the coaching staff - headed by Bo Pelini - preferred Martinez playing on a bloody stump to either Cody Green or Zac Lee, there were genuine problems as to what the offense could still do. The only thing I remember being successful that Watson inexplicable went away from was using Burkhead in the Wildcat to take some of the pressure off Martinez. But most coaches concede that the Wildcat only works in small doses.

It was time for Watson to go and I really like what Beck's doing. I just think Watson would be calling pretty much the same game given this same team. Nebraska's problem has been its ability to get its collective head in the game and execute mistake free fundamentals. That's on the head coach and the players as much as the offensive playcaller, but folks were too vested in Pelini, and Watson was guilty by association with Callahan.

Respectfully disagree, compadre'.

It stretches the imagination to it's very limits seeing a SW coached NU offense storm through opponents (Washington, Fresno St, Ohio St) defenses the 2nd half to victory. Possible? Sure......but very likely? I don't think so.

Otoh, no doubt SW got a raw deal with a extremely marginal qb in 2009 & a totally hobbled qb in 2010. I wish him well as he gave us his best.

Still damn glad to have Beck though. :-)

GBR!!

Is this the play you were referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8W7artF4-w

Is this the play you were referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8W7artF4-w

Yep!

Respectfully disagree, compadre'.

It stretches the imagination to it's very limits seeing a SW coached NU offense storm through opponents (Washington, Fresno St, Ohio St) defenses the 2nd half to victory. Possible? Sure......but very likely? I don't think so.

It requires NO imagination, amigo. Just watch the Washington, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Missouri victories last year. Dominating games against quality opponents. In the first half of the season, the Nebraska offense was the talk of college football. The season went south the moment Taylor Martinez was injured. I'm baffled why some Husker fans prefer to forget that.