This Season Seems Hollow . . .

It's year 4 in the Pelini era and we have terrible coaching including obvious recruiting flaws, game management ( timeouts used up by defense, end of Northwestern game???) Not getting Backups in in garbage time, no depth or lack of playing certain people due to vendettas, buddy hires gone wrong (also known as Cosgrovean Cottonism) and playing like crap over the last 2 years against arguably the easiest schedules in YEARS. When Wisconsin and MSU are the biggest games of the year you know you have a NC schedule on your hands. We tried as hard as we could to let a dysfunctional PSU beat us, a decent team would have hung a half a hundred on them last week and emptied the bench after the turmoil they went through. We canned Callahan after 4 years, our 3 million dollar man better step up to the plate SOON. Remember that Callahan was playing KU,Missou, Leached TT's teams that were battling for BCS bowls not to mention strong Texas/Sooners/USC teams. At least we saw talent being recruited

Nice first post. If you're here to troll, don't get comfortable. You won't be here long.

Wait a second, you repeated half my post almost word for word than cut it out for this response and Im trolling? I actually thought I treated Pelini with kid gloves considering I left out his sideline antics, media presence, and the way he's handled our offense the last 3 years

Face the facts...the season is hollow because there is no Texas or K-State or other traditional opponents to hate this year. After over a hundred years of facing off against a Missouri or Kansas and after a hundred years of built up animosity between fan bases from real or perceived slights these games weren't just games...they were vindications that Nebraska was Nebraska and all was well with the world after stomping an Iowa State or Texas Tech.

This years? Oh yah! We beat Minnesota! Good...cuz we sure do hate those Gophers! That'll teach em for disrespecting us back in...uh...well...that'll teach em anyway! Why we'll show those dang Hoosiers! We need to teach them a lesson after they...uh...well...I guess they haven't really ever done anything to us but we'll teach em anyway!

Really...who cares? Do you really want to be playing in a Big 10 championship game against Penn State or would you REALLY like to be playing Oklahoma in the Big 12? And are the fans really that excited about playing Northwestern...or Illinois...or Purdue EVER? Tell the truth...how many of you still check out the standings and results from the Big 12 games and really wish you had a chance to blast K-State or OSU again?

But...such is life. The powers that be picked money over tradition so you got what you got and all the baggage that comes with it while the Big 12 has what is has including the entry of some really top-flite football schools. Hopefully the Huskers can keep the sell-out record intact after most of the blue-hairs move on to the nursing homes but I have a feeling interest just won't be the same in the Big 10 and that, too, shall come to an end.

I think you're a decade and a half off with this post, once OU decided they had become our yearly doormat and decided to end our Traditional series that determined more National Championships than any other rivalry over the last 40 years...........that hollow feeling has hung around for a LONG time. No one gets up for OU lite since Barry Sanders. Sure Bill Snyder punked Solich but the yearly KSU game meaning much to anyone North of Pawnee City or Wymore Nebraska is ridiculous. Colorado was pretty much it for the Huskers and I would trade them for Michigan, PSU, tOSU and even lowly Iowa which is basically a wash. The Hollow feeling is watching boring games, getting beat by Northwestern due to horrible coaching, getting smoked by Wisconsin.....sigh....and having your destiny decided by MSU????

It's year 4 in the Pelini era and we have terrible coaching including obvious recruiting flaws, game management ( timeouts used up by defense, end of Northwestern game???) Not getting Backups in in garbage time, no depth or lack of playing certain people due to vendettas, buddy hires gone wrong (also known as Cosgrovean Cottonism) and playing like crap over the last 2 years against arguably the easiest schedules in YEARS. When Wisconsin and MSU are the biggest games of the year you know you have a NC schedule on your hands. We tried as hard as we could to let a dysfunctional PSU beat us, a decent team would have hung a half a hundred on them last week and emptied the bench after the turmoil they went through. We canned Callahan after 4 years, our 3 million dollar man better step up to the plate SOON. Remember that Callahan was playing KU,Missou, Leached TT's teams that were battling for BCS bowls not to mention strong Texas/Sooners/USC teams. At least we saw talent being recruited

Horrible coaching??

9-10-10 wins a season is a country mile away from "horrible coaching". We're at 8 - 2 now......I don't see anything even remotely close to Clownahan results from our coaches. I don't even want to know what you're smoking that makes you think Bo & Clownahan are in the same boat.

Also, let's not forget Bo took over a NU program that won "5" games it's last year and was 10,000 galaxies away from Devaney's 72 Huskers. TO took over a brand new Maserati & Bo a used Pinto. TO got time to win big and so will Bo.

GBR!!

Nice first post. If you're here to troll, don't get comfortable. You won't be here long.

Wait a second, you repeated half my post almost word for word than cut it out for this response and Im trolling? I actually thought I treated Pelini with kid gloves considering I left out his sideline antics, media presence, and the way he's handled our offense the last 3 years

Nah, you said we have horrible coaching and we're coming off of consecutive conference championship game appearances and we are in the running to make it three straight. It was not an intelligent (and more importantly, accurate) statement.

EDIT: And when you are referring to his media presence, are you intentionally ignoring the accolades Pelini has received for his post-game interviews following the Penn State game regarding the delicate (and infuriating) situation in State College? Only someone who doesn't want to see it could state that Pelini hasn't improved markedly in this area this year.

Oh and you guys beat OSU at home, stomped a MSU team that may be in that programs golden years and traveled to Penn State and won in Happy Valley in a game that most CFB fans will remember for a very very long time...

But I'm sure you can understand that if someone was giving us as die hard NU fans the option of beating Oklahoma at home in a 21 point come-from-behind victory or beating tofu, 10 times out of 10 we're going with Oklahoma.

Speak for yourself. I disowned Oklahoma after they disowned us during the alignment of the Big 12. I'll take Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all day long over the Sooners.

We set such high goals I think. Set obtainable goals, bringing less chance for failure, and build those goals to reach the top. We set ourselves up for this every single year. That I guess is our job. Win every game, win every NC, no chance of it not happening in August. We all knew it would be hard this year. We took on a beginner OC, changed some others around. Bought into the hype of being one of the top defenses in the country on paper. We need honesty coming from the coaching staff, and an actual report of what goes on in practice, honesty about injuries, would help us understand why certain things happen the way they do. We are a young team, and with that comes inconsistency, but should never bring lack of motivation. I think we all see this as a major problem with this program right now. That is why I have lowered my expectations of Nebraska at this time. I do not expect a Big Championship this year. I only hope that we win the rest of the games we play, end this season on a positive note, and hope next year will be better.. These young kids need to end knowing they are improving. Take a little less this year to strengthen their drive for next year.

While I agree that the coaching staff should be more forthcoming, I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Bo Pelini is a lot of things, but one thing he is not is a hype machine. He's not the one ranking us in the top 10 preseason. Not the one predicting that we'll win a new conference in our first year, and he's also not the guy selecting preseason all americans.

I think most Husker fans that were honest with themselves knew there were too many question marks with this team to feel real solid about where they would end up. I think we've learned some good things though:

1) We have gotten more good than bad with our new OC, who should only get better

2) Taylor Martinez is coachable and is learning to handle adversity

3) We have plenty of young playmakers at the skill positions offensively

I feel pretty good about the offensive side of the ball going into next year

I'm as settled in with the Big Ten as I can be. Shockingly settled in. I didn't anticipate feeling so at home so quickly, but it's been like moving to a new town and discovering your neighborhood is full of Nebraskans. Sure it's different, but much of it is the same. The Big Ten feels like my favorite old sweatshirt I forgot, only to dig it out of the back of the closet and find out the fit is just like the old days.

I just never felt any "magic" playing Iowa State or Missouri. They were like gnats, games you had to get through to get to the real prize at the end of the season, the Oklahoma game and the Bowl. Everything before that was just going through the motions. It was more an exercise of watching every guy on the roster play than anticipating a great game all week. Really, how juiced were people for Kansas most years? Or for Iowa State, or Missouri? To me, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa easily trump those games. It's not even a question.

I'm as stodgy and conservative as most Nebraskans, but when it comes to football enjoyment, the Big Ten is without question more fun than the Big XII.

If you've felt this way over the last 20 years, you're not watching the same games I have been. Do you know what rank KU finished in 1995? Tenth. Their only loss was to Nebraska. Same with #6 Kansas State. Do you not remember being beat by 40 points by KU in 2007? Do you not remember playing COLORADO for the de facto national championship in 1994? do you not remember being overmatched 2 years in a row By Mizzou, losing at home?

Its comments like this that get Huskers fans labeled as arrogant, revisionist, living in the past fans.

Being excited to play OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc. is like being excited to sit at the adult table at Thanksgiving for the first time. We have stadium envy. Trophy envy. History envy. You name it. We envy those Big 10 teams and now we feel like we have finally arrived at the adult table. The truth of the matter is that we were always at the adult table. We've just switched families.

If you've felt this way over the last 20 years, you're not watching the same games I have been. Do you know what rank KU finished in 1995? Tenth. Their only loss was to Nebraska. Do you not remember being beat by 40 points by KU in 2007? Do you not remember playing COLORADO for the de facto national championship in 1994? do you not remember being overmatched 2 years in a row By Mizzou, losing at home?

Its comments like this that get Huskers fans labeled as arrogant, revisionist, living in the past fans.

Being excited to play OSU, Michigan, PSU, etc. is like being excited to sit at the adult table at Thanksgiving for the first time. We have stadium envy. Trophy envy. History envy. You name it.

I'm watching the same games you're watching. I'm also seeing that those teams you've mentioned, Kansas, Missouri, and Colorado, have been the products of fleeting success. The sun shines on every dog's ass some days, as the old saying goes. It's nearly impossible for a school to always be bad - although Iowa State, K-State, Kansas and Missouri sure have tried.

Sure, those games you mention happened. And at the time, for that brief window they were good, those were "big" games. But those days in the sun lasted a few years, and now they're gone.

I'm going to post some facts. Stop me when I'm being "arrogant."

Colorado

Nebraska leads the all-time series 49-18, with two ties.

In the past 20 years, the best overall stretch in the series, Nebraska has gone 15-4-1 against the Buffaloes.

Colorado has been ranked eight times in that 20-year period, the last time being 2002.

At one time in our history, Nebraska won 18 straight games (68-85).

Kansas

Nebraska leads the all-time series 91-23-3.

In the past 20 years, the best overall stretch in the series, Nebraska has gone 18-2 against the Jayhawks.

Kansas has been ranked three times in that 20-year period, the last time being 2007.

At one time in our history, Nebraska won 36 straight games (69-04).

Kansas State

Nebraska leads the all-time series 78-15-2.

In the past 20 years, the best overall stretch in the series, Nebraska has gone 15-5 against the Wildcats.

Kansas State has been ranked eight times in that 20-year period, the last time being 2002.

At one time in our history, Nebraska won 29 straight games (68-97).

Missouri

Nebraska leads the all-time series 65-36-3.

In the past 20 years, the best overall stretch in the series, Nebraska has gone 16-4 against the Tigers.

Missouri has been ranked five times in that 20-year period, the last time being 2010.

At one time in our history, Nebraska won 24 straight games (79-02).

For the most part, over the past 50-ish years, these teams have not just been bad, but very bad. Bad enough that we've gone more than a decade straight beating the hell out of each of them. These are not good teams, and it is not "arrogant" or "revisionist" to say so. Further, the success of each of these teams, with Colorado being the exception, can largely be traced to ONE good coach. Once that coach goes.... so goes the program. But even the exception has faltered, as we've seen Colorado plummet to the depths of college football suckitude.

Strong troll is trolling.

Obvious-troll-is-obvious-atsof-17301744-702-475.jpg

losing to an UNRANKED team at home because you didn't watch film or prepare reeks of coaching problems. And in year 4 we should be past those.

Oh wow, real real good post bro

Except that's not the reality of what happened. Yoshi's quote about not watching film referred to the "extra" film and individual is asked to do. Our coaches ask players to watch film study of the other team so we can learn tendencies of individuals during the game. Usually you're learning about the guy across from you. This is extra work and Is optional because as coaches you're only allowed so much practice time with your guys. But you'll find the team usually does it on their own. It just so happens that that week some of the older players didn't do the individual film study. Thank last years class for those good habits. The coaches and the team still went through its normal break downs of NW as position groups and they studied the scout team tape from practice which is where we see how guys are reacting to certain sets and plays.

If the coaches are to blame for anything it would be that a player might get the idea that its ok to not do the prep because of some of the things we did in the first 4 games of the year. We often didn't make adjustments based on the team we were playing but rather on what the coaches wanted to see on film during live game action. Its stretching it and nit picking some but I suppose it could come across that its not as important to prepare fully against teams that have athletes that we should be able man handle and allow only the schemes to help us win.

Something has been missing from this season. It just seems hollow. I think the Wisconsin and Penn State games just emotionally wiped us out. I spent an incredible amount of energy getting up for Wisconsin, only to be knocked out cold. That game showed us that we were nowhere near the top. Sad. Also, the weirdness around Penn State made the season more strange. It just seems like something has been missing from this season. The reality is that I wanted us to compete for the National Championship, but we had way too much change and inexperience to get there. Don't get me wrong: glad to be in the Big 10 and love the new venues, but something has been missing. Still several cool games to play, so maybe that will change. Next year is aiming to be something special. Would like to end this year on a good note.

So seasons where we are not competing for a NC are hollow? Come on man, grow up.

should not you be preparing for your game against the broncos tonight? i think the o-line's play will prove crucial in this match-up.

Face the facts...the season is hollow because there is no Texas or K-State or other traditional opponents to hate this year. After over a hundred years of facing off against a Missouri or Kansas and after a hundred years of built up animosity between fan bases from real or perceived slights these games weren't just games...they were vindications that Nebraska was Nebraska and all was well with the world after stomping an Iowa State or Texas Tech.

This years? Oh yah! We beat Minnesota! Good...cuz we sure do hate those Gophers! That'll teach em for disrespecting us back in...uh...well...that'll teach em anyway! Why we'll show those dang Hoosiers! We need to teach them a lesson after they...uh...well...I guess they haven't really ever done anything to us but we'll teach em anyway!

Really...who cares? Do you really want to be playing in a Big 10 championship game against Penn State or would you REALLY like to be playing Oklahoma in the Big 12? And are the fans really that excited about playing Northwestern...or Illinois...or Purdue EVER? Tell the truth...how many of you still check out the standings and results from the Big 12 games and really wish you had a chance to blast K-State or OSU again?

But...such is life. The powers that be picked money over tradition so you got what you got and all the baggage that comes with it while the Big 12 has what is has including the entry of some really top-flite football schools. Hopefully the Huskers can keep the sell-out record intact after most of the blue-hairs move on to the nursing homes but I have a feeling interest just won't be the same in the Big 10 and that, too, shall come to an end.

I think you're a decade and a half off with this post, once OU decided they had become our yearly doormat and decided to end our Traditional series that determined more National Championships than any other rivalry over the last 40 years...........that hollow feeling has hung around for a LONG time. No one gets up for OU lite since Barry Sanders. Sure Bill Snyder punked Solich but the yearly KSU game meaning much to anyone North of Pawnee City or Wymore Nebraska is ridiculous. Colorado was pretty much it for the Huskers and I would trade them for Michigan, PSU, tOSU and even lowly Iowa which is basically a wash. The Hollow feeling is watching boring games, getting beat by Northwestern due to horrible coaching, getting smoked by Wisconsin.....sigh....and having your destiny decided by MSU????

Horrible coaching??

9-10-10 wins a season is a country mile away from "horrible coaching". We're at 8 - 2 now......I don't see anything even remotely close to Clownahan results from our coaches. I don't even want to know what you're smoking that makes you think Bo & Clownahan are in the same boat.

Also, let's not forget Bo took over a NU program that won "5" games it's last year and was 10,000 galaxies away from Devaney's 72 Huskers. TO took over a brand new Maserati & Bo a used Pinto. TO got time to win big and so will Bo.

GBR!!

Its not those easy 9-10-10 wins against terrible opponents that make him a horrible coach, its the losses against terrible opponents. You seem to base coaching on win percentages only, I look at the losses, quality of recruiting, game management, strength training and respectability of the program. 9-10 wins with our schedules is a no brainer, we have had that many gimmes each of Pelinis years. You don't see anything remotely close to Callahan in Pelini and thats fair, I don't either. Callahan played the likes of a cheating USC coming off multiple National Championships, KUs going to BCS bowls, a booger eater Missou, lets just say the "5 win" Big XII North was 10,000 galaxies ahead of last years Big XII north where we struggled into OT with Iowa State. The Texas debacle of last year mixed with the Barely Bowl eligible Washington, this years -.500 Northwestern, the Iowa States and struggling with Div II patsies looks exactly like Callahan Teams. I would even say the putrid Cosgrove Defenses would match up well with this years Pelini stocked defense. If Bo got a used Pinto than Callahan received a brand new Gremlin. Callahan was left Joe Dailey and Pelini got Joe Ganz, N'Suh and the rest. Im not saying the Callahan years were good at all with the Cosgrove defense, but I don't see anything remotely promising these days either. Next years defense? Yikes

Its not those easy 9-10-10 wins against terrible opponents that make him a horrible coach, its the losses against terrible opponents. You seem to base coaching on win percentages only, I look at the losses, quality of recruiting, game management, strength training and respectability of the program. 9-10 wins with our schedules is a no brainer, we have had that many gimmes each of Pelinis years. You don't see anything remotely close to Callahan in Pelini and thats fair, I don't either. Callahan played the likes of a cheating USC coming off multiple National Championships, KUs going to BCS bowls, a booger eater Missou, lets just say the "5 win" Big XII North was 10,000 galaxies ahead of last years Big XII north where we struggled into OT with Iowa State. The Texas debacle of last year mixed with the Barely Bowl eligible Washington, this years -.500 Northwestern, the Iowa States and struggling with Div II patsies looks exactly like Callahan Teams. I would even say the putrid Cosgrove Defenses would match up well with this years Pelini stocked defense. If Bo got a used Pinto than Callahan received a brand new Gremlin. Callahan was left Joe Dailey and Pelini got Joe Ganz, N'Suh and the rest. Im not saying the Callahan years were good at all with the Cosgrove defense, but I don't see anything remotely promising these days either. Next years defense? Yikes

To the first bolded statement - I hate to even pull this card out, but anyone who has ever played the game knows there is no such thing as a "gimme." I'm becoming convinced you're just here to troll.

To the second bolded statement - Now I know you're just trolling. Ignore option activated.