Urban Meyer to Ohio State?

Badger_HB

I agree that the question of "which Urban Meyer" TOSU will get is a bit of a concern. Will this be a 3-4 year committment, or 7+? I tend to thing that it will be the latter for reasons given here http://bleacherrepor...ad-coaching-job, barring a return/resurgence of medical issues. That having been said, sometimes the problem with a dream job, just like with a dream house or dream car, is that one can view it through rose colored glasses until one actually has it IMHO this is much less likely, though possible.

Even if Meyer were to leave TOSU after a few years I still think that hiring him at this time is the right move, especially in light of pending NCAA sanctions. The self-imposed scholarship reduction makes quality over quantity in recruiting even more critical. Hiring a big name coach NOW with a proven track record makes the Buckeyes instantly relevant because it puts/keeps the program at or near the top of many top tier recruits lists that otherwise would have looked towards programs ready to win right away. This would likely not be the case if TOSU hired a coach that has yet to prove himself at the top level, as they did with Tressel. If Meyer were to bolt after a few years NCAA sanctions likely will be a non-issue and replacing him with a big-name coach is much less of an issue with respect to the health of the program.

You used Bleacher Report to back up your opinion/claim? Really? I would have believed you more if you said you based your opinion on something you read in the National Enquirer

You used Bleacher Report to back up your opinion/claim? Really? I would have believed you more if you said you based your opinion on something you read in the National Enquirer

I was confirming a fact that I was pretty sure I knew & it happend to be the googled link that I clicked on., It also echoed much of what I've been hearing from multiple media, local & national. I'm not familiar w/the site & don't give a rat's @$$ about it. If you don't like that source, here are some others:

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/05/30/11/Meyer-would-have-hard-time-turning-down-/landing_gators.html?blockID=529492

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/23300/it-will-be-hard-for-meyer-to-say-no-to-osu

I'm not familiar w/these writers either, but if you don't like them, please feel free to cite your own sources contradicting my position. Yeah, I know, it take a bit more effort than to just sit back & mock someone, especially someone who doesn't have much time in his day to sit around & scan sports reports & hang out on forums. By the way, you didn't bother to offer any counter arguments to any of my other points, either.

Fine. :rolleyes: I'll be sure to clear any further sources cited with the board before posting. But would like to know what major points in that months old article aren't still valid now. I also stand by all of my points in both previous posts. If you disagree, fine, but I expect you to back up your position.

Yup, good for the Big Ten as a whole. This will surely mean more prestige, and maybe we can finally break the SEC stranglehold.

I've also read rumors that Penn State is interested in Dan Mullen. He was Urban Meyer's protege at Utah & Florida and was the OC when Florida won those 2 national titles. He's struggled at Mississippi State, but Penn State might be a better fit for him with access to northeast recruits. He's a brilliant offensive mind since he was under Meyer all those years.

Therefore I'm hoping Penn State lands Mullen. It'll boost the competitive profile of the conference.

In before lock, and yes I believe that could easily happen. IMO, Urban ran from the competition in the SEC. I highly doubt whatever health problems he has miraculously cured themself in one short year. He sees the Big 10 as a conference easy for the pickings. He plans on coming into the Big 10 and completely dominating it much like Ohio State has the last decade.