Urban Meyer to Ohio State?

Badger_HB

Meyer denies report linking him to Ohio State

Published November 23, 2011 Sports Network

Orlando, FL – Urban Meyer has denied a report that says he will become the next head coach at Ohio State. According to WKMG-TV in Orlando, Meyer has agreed to a seven-year deal worth $40 million and will be introduced at Ohio State in the coming days.

Meyer, who works as a college football analyst for ESPN, contradicted the report in a statement through the network. "I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place," Meyer said in a statement. "I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further."

LINK

I don't know what to think of this. There sure is a lot of smoke. But according to Urban, no fire.

The idea of Meyer at tOSU is a good thing for this confrence, but he is not going to have immediate success like many people believe. He loses alot of talent on offense, and defense. He has to recruit to what kind of system he runs on offense, which might take a year or two.

I've heard he's a fan of the belly G. ;)

• Fire 1

Guys I hate to say it, but its a done deal. Urban has accepted the job, but will not announce it till after the OSU-Michigan game out of respect for Fickel.

This is a disaster for us and the rest of the B1G. They already get the best recruits in the conference and you add one of the best coaches in the country than its a wrap.

I don't think it's a given that he will be an instant success.

We still don't know the extent of the NCAA's punishment.

Plus................unless he can convince some Florida speed to come north, he will be battling for the same recruits as the rest of us.

I'll wait for the coronation for a bit...............

They already have fast, athletic guys and the QB is exactly suited for his offense. He's walking into one of the best group of kids money could buy. And he likes to pretend he doesn't know what boosters are doing. Plus if the NCAA allows schools to give the players an extra 2 g's to play ball for spending money its going to be easier to hide cash handouts.

It's almost like everyone has forgotten that OSU is currently under the NCAA microscope. It's going to be a little tougher to ignore what boosters are doing when people are openly asking "what are your boosters doing?"

I don't know...Urban Meyer is a damn good coach. His resume speaks for itself. But you could make a strong argument that Urban left the Florida program in worse condition athletically than it was when he inherited it. As soon as Harvin was gone and the Second Coming departed he seemed to panic and he bailed. And his "health" issue explanation coupled with his supposed desire to be closer to his family would have been a lot easier to believe if his family hailed from Bristol, CT. Is Bristol acknowledged as a city with one of the best medical facilities in the country? I think he quit on Florida as soon as the going got tough.

I'm not going to try and pretend that OSU won't be more dangerous to the rest of the conference with Urban at the helm than they are/were with Fickell, but I'm not ready to anoint them the immediate front runners for the Leaders division for the foreseeable future just because Meyer takes the job.

The Penn State nightmare and the Miami situation may have taken some of the sanction focus off of OSU, though. That much is probably true.

Rumors are already flying that we will lose the top DE recruit we got out of Ohio (Greg McMullen).

I don't think you guys have anything to worry about regarding McMullen. From all accounts he's a guy who just fell in love with Nebraska.

Urban was known as a dirty look the other way recruiter and he fit very well int he $EC. OSU has had that reputation for years. If the NCAA has him under a microscope then I think he'll have a tougher time recruiting once the boosters can't help.

Perception and reality are often at odds.

Actually, this might be really good for us. It may light a fire under Bo & Co. so that they get their act together. There's a real challenge here. Perhaps this is just what the doctor ordered to get Nebraska to stand up and take notice. I think it will be fun.

I certainly don't envy Meyer. With the NCAA breathing down their neck, they're going to be under a microscope for a long time. But regardless, instead of cowering in the corner like a bunch of 'fraidy cats' lets welcome the challenge. If we are going to work to be on the national stage we would've played teams like Meyer's former teams anyway so let's pick up the gauntlet and GO BIG RED!!!

Past success is no guarantee of future glory. Many high fling coaches struggle once they are put in a new program. Spurrier comes to mind. With that kind of coin Meyer will be on the hot seat from day one, he has five years to play for a title, even that will be pushing it...

Ohio State = Florida

South Carolina < Florida

Big difference!!

Ha! That is very true... That was the name that popped into my head... Rich Rodriuez comes to mind, great at WVU, not so much at Meatchicken... Tyrone Wilingham made Stanford respectable but couldn't get it done at ND... Although Meyer is (or at least was) heads above these guys... I am sure he will do well, I, for one, am not ready to and the conference over to him yet...

Here is the link:

http://msn.foxsports...t-report-112211

We will see how Bo matches up with one of the best college football coaches in recent memory. I'm a little jealous considering all of the misery the Buckeyes are going through only to get a prize coach in the end.

Rumors are already flying that we will lose the top DE recruit we got out of Ohio (Greg McMullen). I doubt that happens, but you never know.....Also, LB Deion Jones just got a schollie offer from LSU so he is as good as gone!

This season is starting to really wear on me from a mental aspect.

Has Bo ever lost against OSU? We beat them this year and oh yeah, he beat them in a National Championship Game when he coached at LSU:

"In 2005, Pelini was hired by Louisiana State University Tigers Head Coach Les Miles, again as defensive coordinator. His success continued, as LSU was ranked 3rd nationally in overall defense for each of his three years with the Tigers. At the conclusion of the 2007 regular season, LSU defeated Tennessee 21-14 in the 2007 SEC Championship Game and went on to win 38-24 against Ohio State, Pelini's alma mater, in the 2008 BCS National Championship Game."

Is Urban Meyer a good coach? Yep. But just because he's going to OSU doesn't mean 'the sky is falling' for NU. In fact, I think just the opposite is going to happen next year. Let's see who is right. If you're right I will publicly 'eat crow' but if you're wrong then we'll all celebrate our win! GO BIG RED!

The idea of Meyer at tOSU is a good thing for this confrence, but he is not going to have immediate success like many people believe. He loses alot of talent on offense, and defense. He has to recruit to what kind of system he runs on offense, which might take a year or two.

I've heard he's a fan of the belly G. ;)

BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G

End of the first quarter BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G BELLY G . . .

Rumors are already flying that we will lose the top DE recruit we got out of Ohio (Greg McMullen).

I don't think you guys have anything to worry about regarding Mullen. From all accounts he's a guy who just fell in love with Nebraska.

Urban was known as a dirty look the other way recruiter and he fit very well int he $EC. OSU has had that reputation for years. If the NCAA has him under a microscope then I think he'll have a tougher time recruiting once the boosters can't help.

Perception and reality are often at odds.

Which is at odds here?

OSU, currently facing failure to monitor, that just last summer had their returning starting quarterback flee to the supplemental draft because he was going to have to answer some hard questions to not get his already 5 game suspension for extra benefits extended. Plus 4 other players suspended those 5 games, for the same reason, and a couple getting extended as well?

Or Meyer? who had the best athletes in the dirty south for a number of years? I'm sure those kids were all turning down money from the other schools for the honor of playing for Meyer and the Gators before he was known for anything but Utah. Not only were they competing with the SEC, but this would have been when that fake billionaire ponzi scheme guy was financially backing the hurricanes.

Perception of Meyer nationally is good, that he's a smart clean coach, maybe he is I don't know. I don't trust a single one of the SEC schools though.