BCS going bye bye?

Mosskid84

I think they need to go back to the old bowl system, with the conference tie-ins. And while they're at it, put all the big games back on New Year's Day at different times. I loved just sitting on the couch watching big football games all day! Then after the Jan 1 bowls, do the "final" rankings like they used to. Then the top 2 teams from those rankings would play on like Jan 15th for the championship. The way the system works now, the big teams from different conferences never play each other, so it's so hard to figure out which conferences are better than others besides just guessing. If you could pair a bunch of the conferences against each other in bowl games and THEN rank them, you would be better informed and have a better chance of picking the best #1 and #2 teams out there.

• Fire 2

Copied from another thread which the mods chose not to merge.

From the column:

Instead, all 11 FBS conferences and their members, as well as football independents, would begin, in theory, each season with an equal chance of reaching the national championship game.

How does this change affect who gets into the championship game in any way, either in theory or in reality? That comment makes no sense to me.

And by eliminating the automatic qualifying clause, BCS officials hope that conference realignment and expansion -- in some cases, done in hopes of securing AQ status -- would subside.

Only a few of the changes have been done to secure AQ status. A lot of the shuffling is between AQ conferences, and is money based. Schools switch to conferences with better TV deals or better revenue sharing, and to leave a conference that appears to be falling apart, even while it still has AQ status.

This sounds like change for change sake, to make it look like they are doing something about a system that few like. Maybe the unspoken thought is to tear apart what's left of the bowls by removing historic tie-ins, which will make it easier to go to a playoff down the line.

I don't think the smaller schools are going to get what they might think they want out of this. Without the automatic bid provision that would put a small conference school in a major bowl most years, the big bowls will take more big schools. This would be a huge windfall for the SEC, which can get more teams in high paying bowls. The Big 10 will probably fare well most years too as our teams are popular invitees.

I actually wrote a paper on this in school. I think you can keep the bowls and move to a tourney. Top 12 teams in the tournament and the rest have bowl games like usual. Give some of the smaller teams something to play for.

Every team can still go to a bowl. As you fall out of the playoffs, those teams would play in a bowl. The championship game would be a bowl as well. You can have both.

I did this last year. Assuming all higher seeds won.

playoff.jpg

You guys do realize that our conference championship games are what you can expect from a college playoff right? Every now and then you'll get the ideal matchup of two deserving teams but most of the time you'll get these underdogs getting a crack at a title (except it would be a NC instead of just a CC) even though they posted 1,2 or sometimes 3 losses...

You guys do realize that our conference championship games are what you can expect from a college playoff right? Every now and then you'll get the ideal matchup of two deserving teams but most of the time you'll get these underdogs getting a crack at a title (except it would be a NC instead of just a CC) even though they posted 1,2 or sometimes 3 losses...

I guess I don't understand what your point is. Is that you can't/shouldn't be the best team in the country if you have 2-3 loses? What is your definition of deserving? Isn't making it through a play off deserving? Please clarify.

I think the main concern with the playoff system is that it would add too many games to the season. I disagree. By implementing a hybrid bcs-playoff system, everyone can get the best of both worlds.

Currently, the top 8 teams in the BCS are either undefeated, or one loss. Everyone below top 8 has at least 2 losses. Regular season games are still very much important.

8 teams means that there is two extra games for 2 teams, and one extra game for 2 teams. The first round of playoffs would simply be Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, and Rose bowl. From then on out, it would be traditional playoff style.

The problem here is that there would be a shift of controversy from 1,2,3,4 to 7,8,9,10.

Obviously there is pros and cons to both systems.

Right now we are faced with (as it seems annually) a nightmare scenario for the BCS.

Lets assume the following happens:

A) Arkansas beats LSU (in a very close game)

B) Alabama beats Auburn

This would most likely reshuffle the top 3 BCS teams to:

1. Alabama

2. Arkansas

3. LSU

I suppose Ok State, Va Tech, or Stanford could jump up to third, but if LSU loses, say 17-16, how many voters would drop them more than from 1st to 3rd? Enough to move one of those teams above LSU?

The highest BCS ranking out of the three goes to the SEC championship game.

Then,

C) Georgia upsets Alabama

This would leave the two highest teams for the BCS as teams that finished no better than 3rd and 4th in their conference, yet one of them would become the national champion. Looks like the BCS planned for this nightmare scenario, since under that situation 3 teams from the SEC would be BCS bound:

http://www.bcsfootba...tory?id=4819597

Under at large eligibility it says:

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.

I realize they've planned for it with this rule, but it would probably still be met with a lot of complaints outside of SEC country. It would really be funny if under this scenario Houston then beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, so that the conference champ of the SEC loses to the only remaining undefeated team, while the 3rd and 4th place SEC teams play for the national championship.

Granted, Alabama would probably trash Georgia to prevent all of this chaos (or even more likely LSU will smash Arkansas, then smash Georgia) but if it does happen, the BCS/anti-BCS schism may get even stronger.

This scenario would possibly be goofier than what a typical round of playoffs would produce.