Not a TM Bashing

Spartness

The numbers Martinez has put as a frosh/soph are simply amazing. Just imagine what he would do next year if he had a solid offensive line and WRs that could catch the ball.

This is right on the money. If you gave Martinez the line that Frazier, Frost, Crouch had, we'd be singing his praises. The past QBs could get away with completion % in the 40s because of the dominant nature of the rest of the offense. Nebraska gains 8 on 1st down after pummeling the opposing Dline making it 2nd and 2. Next play they take a shot down field and don't get it. Too bad, so sad. 3rd and 2 they turn around and hand off or run behind a superior Oline, getting the first down. This trend continued most of the game. Doesn't lead to great passing stats, but the Huskers win the game and usually won big.

Now, today. Martinez hands off or runs for a gain of <2, making it 2nd and long. On 2nd and 2, they run again for a gain of <2 yards, making it 3rd and long. This is a obvious passing down, which makes it more difficult for Martinez to be successful through the air. Had 1st and 2nd down been more fruitful, it opens up the playbook a little more.

In summation, Nebraska of old passed because they WANTED to, now Nebraska passes because they HAVE to, mostly due to a lack of play by the guys up front.

I'm not saying that Martinez is better than the other QBs mentioned, but I have a hard time believing that any of the QBs mentioned would be much more successful with the personnel/schemes that Taylor has to work with.

Also, don't forget how poorly the D has played this year, which certainly doesn't make it any easier on a QB or an offense as a whole (I understand that the D's problems may stem from lack of ball control on O, but that's not the point of this thread).

• Fire 1

"Only a Sophomore"

Go look at total starts by a QB, a better stat, and I think you will see T-Mart (a redshirt sophomore) has as many starts as many juniors and probably lots of seniors.

Leave the class out of it.

He started very, very raw. He's matured, no doubt. But, frankly, he remains still pretty raw. Time will tell how far he can progress and whether anyone will overtake him.

Go look at the very same QBs and tell me how many systems they've ran in their two years of starting.

I don't see Taylor as an elusive running QB like Robinson, Thomas (Oregon), Wilson, or Miller. Taylor is a straight line runner. When he has to make a cut he loses most of his speed. The couple times this year and last I saw him try to make a cut inside on a defender he loses footing or falls down.

We've seen Taylor make cuts at speed, they're just not happening anymore, or at least not for quite a while. I don't remember the last time he was shifty while running.

It seems to me he's playing too much in his head, not letting the game just happen. Thinking too much will paralyze a guy.

I don't think the trainers and coaching wanting him to cut too much Knappic...have you seen his ankles and how they are taped! lol. They are tapped a TON! = ) If you plant and cut on that healed ankle, it could spell trouble for a possible re injury. Both of TM's ankles are extremely taped up....and I honestly would agree with the idea....

I think the reason we've seen less Turner is because of Turner. I believe it was his first play he was into the game he totally whiffs on a block and our runner gets blown up. This is why we've seen little of him the past few weeks. You can possess all the athletic ability in the World, but if you don't do your job then ride the pine.

I think the reason we've seen less Turner is because of Turner. I believe it was his first play he was into the game he totally whiffs on a block and our runner gets blown up. This is why we've seen little of him the past few weeks. You can possess all the athletic ability in the World, but if you don't do your job then ride the pine.

But the simple answer to that is, "Hey Offensive Coordinator, don't expect your 6'1", 175lb wide receiver to block."

I saw Jamal again last night. If he's 6'1" then I'm 6'7". He probably weighs about a buck-eighty, and that's generous. The guy simply isn't a blocker. He's not built for it, he's not good at it, and putting him in situations where you need him to make a critical block on a run is stupid, especially when you have Brandon Kinnie and Quincy Enunwa on your roster.

Turner has game-changing speed and moves, but we seem unwilling or incapable of putting him in situations where he can affect the game. That is a failure on Beck's part, not Turner's.

You didn't recruit Jamal Turner to level DBs on Option plays. You recruited him so that, when you get him the ball in space, he runs and runs and runs. So frickin' DO THAT, Beck.

Do you remember when we had the itty bitty committee as our WR group? I don't recall any of them being even as big as Turner, and all they did was block. I'm not saying he has to lay out 250 lb. LB's coming his way. All I'm asking is for him to at least give an effort or at least get in their way slowing them down. His effort on that play was very poor. This is why I believe we haven't seen much of him.

I remember Abdul Muhammad, who, pound for pound, may have been the toughest Husker ever. I vaguely remember the Itty Bitty Committee, though. If Muhammad wasn't on it then I don't recall who was.

And for the record I'm not excusing a lack of effort by Turner, if that's what's going on. I'm just saying that he's not the guy best-suited for the role we're putting him in. Same goes for Kyler Reed, a good pass-catcher but terrible blocker, who has been called upon to block in game after game after game, yet fails many times. And still Beck runs the ball right at him. That's just not smart football.

• Fire 1

"Only a Sophomore"

Go look at total starts by a QB, a better stat, and I think you will see T-Mart (a redshirt sophomore) has as many starts as many juniors and probably lots of seniors.

Leave the class out of it.

He started very, very raw. He's matured, no doubt. But, frankly, he remains still pretty raw. Time will tell how far he can progress and whether anyone will overtake him.

Go look at the very same QBs and tell me how many systems they've ran in their two years of starting.

This is a slightly better argument than "he is a sophomore", so I will give it some credence.

But D Robinson is in a 'new system' and he looked pretty good on Sat (so there are flaws in all arguments).

T-Mart will prove or disprove it on the field. Good luck to him.

I remember Abdul Muhammad, who, pound for pound, may have been the toughest Husker ever. I vaguely remember the Itty Bitty Committee, though. If Muhammad wasn't on it then I don't recall who was.

And for the record I'm not excusing a lack of effort by Turner, if that's what's going on. I'm just saying that he's not the guy best-suited for the role we're putting him in. Same goes for Kyler Reed, a good pass-catcher but terrible blocker, who has been called upon to block in game after game after game, yet fails many times. And still Beck runs the ball right at him. That's just not smart football.

The stubborness with which this team operates on offense is baffling. I have to blame Bo.

In the NFL there are 3rd down backs. Why? Yeah, they are there to pass pro and to get flares and screens. Everyone knows that. Occasionally they mix in some run.

You know what, even NFL defenses (who know there is a 3rd down back in the game) mess up and teams convert. Surprise!!!

If Turner or Bell or Reed aren't great blockers, fine, don't feature them in that roll. It makes them more dangerous when you do call on them to block because the other team isn't looking for it.

It is the same reason Dr. Tom's FBs were so bloody effective on dive plays in the 3rd quarter.

Quoted from Husker Illustrated: "The receivers play an important role in the running game. That’s Husker tradition, receivers blocking on the perimeter and downfield. And size doesn’t matter. Remember the days of Corey Dixon, Reggie Baul, Abdul Muhammad and Riley Washington, Ron Brown’s “Itty Bitty Committee”? Washington was the biggest, at 5-9 and 165 pounds. But all four of those guys could block."

I really do believe Turner's playing time is due to his effort or lack thereof. We saw it in the game, but I believe the coaches see it during the week at practice. I really do want to see him succeed, but I also want a little more effort.

Check out Martinez's first two years compared to some other bum quarterbacks that used to play for Nebraska.

5759786_orig.jpg

Good post!

Then, if one could quantify and add in Crouch's & especially Frazier's MASSIVELY better Olines, better OC (TO) & reliable wrs who caught the ball. Heh, of course this won't change anybody's mind but numbers don't lie.

I am a BIG TM supporter and by looking at those numbers, no doubt there are impressive numbers by TM.....BUT Crouch and Fazier were gamebreakers. Those two made HUGE plays....TM needs to start making HUGE plays...either with his feet or with his arm. Now, that's what separates TM from Crouch and Frazier....and also the fact that TM is a different QB in certain aspects than Crouch and Frazier.

Check out Martinez's first two years compared to some other bum quarterbacks that used to play for Nebraska.

5759786_orig.jpg

Good post!

Then, if one could quantify and add in Crouch's & especially Frazier's MASSIVELY better Olines, better OC (TO) & reliable wrs who caught the ball. Heh, of course this won't change anybody's mind but numbers don't lie.

I don't think this stat works. We were an option team then. I think total team offense is the only to compare. Plus, where's the fumble category and Tommie started in the Iowa State game- the first or second week of November of his freshman year. TMart started in the first game of his freshman year. I don't remember when crouch started