Carl made $375,000 last year. I bet tOSU will pay much more than that for Stoops. My point was that people were saying Stoops would want to work for Pelini rather than Meyer and I think he'll get paid more working for Meyer and that would be a major determining factor.

Meyer has already hired/retained Fickell as Defensive Coordinator. They would be looking at Stoops as a position assistant. I'm guessing either Bo handles the defense or hires Stoops....and I don't see Stoops taking a position assistant job at OSU over a DC job at Nebraska.

This is why I said I thought Stoops comes here before he goes to OSU.

Oh! I forgot about Fickell being the DC at tOSU. Yeah, I don't think Stoops would 'stoop' (sorry couldn't resist! lol) to being a position assistant when he could be the DC at Nebraska. A DC position at NU would give him much more prestige in the future than he would get as a position coach at tOSU.

As I mentioned in my last post, Stoops is being offered as co-DC at tOSU. Meaning he'll share DC duties with Fickell. They're not offering him a positions job, but a co-coordinator job.

But that still means he has to share the job with someone else vs being able to call all the shots with a full time DC position with NU. Wouldn't that be more attractive especially being able to work with someone you have a history with and is a very good friend. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I responded to your original question a couple of posts ago. Scroll up. I basically said that I don't know that an offer exists at the moment, but if it did, sure, why not?

Get this: Mike Stoops was a candidate for the FAU job too! Carl beat him out!!! Interesting!!

"Former Arizona coach Mike Stoops was among the candidates Carl Pelini beat out for the FAU job, Schad reports. Stoops confirmed he has had discussions with new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer about a position on the Buckeyes staff. It will be interesting if Bo Pelini makes a push for Stoops, his close friend, for the Huskers' vacancy."

I wonder if they passed on Stoops because he was fired??

As an AD at a college would you rather hire a guy with head coaching experience at the D1 level or a "DC" who most knew was the second fiddler in the defensive band?

No this wasn't the case

What wasn't the case?

Either way, we will have to spend another year breaking in new coaches.

If our coaches are any good, that's going to be a regular occurrence. That's the way it works in today's world where you have FAU's and their equivalent growing up into conference contenders. Everyone has enough money to pay a coordinator some decent scratch, and if you're a coordinator with any ambition, you have to take those positions.

It would be worse if nobody was trying to hire our guys. It would mean they weren't very good.

Get this: Mike Stoops was a candidate for the FAU job too! Carl beat him out!!! Interesting!!

"Former Arizona coach Mike Stoops was among the candidates Carl Pelini beat out for the FAU job, Schad reports. Stoops confirmed he has had discussions with new Ohio State coach Urban Meyer about a position on the Buckeyes staff. It will be interesting if Bo Pelini makes a push for Stoops, his close friend, for the Huskers' vacancy."

As an AD at a college would you rather hire a guy with head coaching experience at the D1 level or a "DC" who most knew was the second fiddler in the defensive band?

No this wasn't the case

What wasn't the case?

The point you wondered about Stoops getting passed over at FAU because he was fired.

Speculation on another board is that Nebraska's all but hired Stoops and that Tom and Bo have been looking for a way to get Carl out of Nebraska. Can anyone confirm if that's true? It's basically how they "fired" Watson and Ekeler.

I don't think Ekeler was pushed away at all. He was a great guy to have on the staff, he was just offered the DC job at Indiana.

I did hear a rumor that TO wanted Bo to fire Carl after last season because of his personal life, but Bo told him if Carl goes so do I.

With Carl gone can it be long before an announcement comes that Barney is taking another job within the athletic department? Would they fill his position with another O-Line coach or bring in a QB coach?

Last rumor I heard on that scenario was Brendan Stai would be promoted to help Garrison with OL. Not sure if that's still the plan though?

No this wasn't the case

What wasn't the case?

The point you wondered about Stoops getting passed over at FAU because he was fired.

Thanks. :)

So, I am not completely sold on Mike Stoops. Couldn't win at AZ. We blew him out in the Holiday Bowl (our offense rolled that AZ defense). I dunno maybe with just focusing on the D he can get his mojo back? Maybe we could look at some new studs down in SEC country? I'd like to make some strong ties to locations in the south where we can get some of these top recruits and have them come play for the Blackshirts? Anyone fit that bill?