WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

3 blowouts all year, and Carnes played in all 3. Do risk losing a game to develop one player?

Actually, there were five blowouts. On top of that, MSU was a 21-point victory, so an argument can be made there.

And in the ones where Carnes did get in, he either got in very late, or wasn't asked to do anything, or both. I know some will argue "Maybe the coaches really wanted to evaluate his snap taking and handoff abilities", but that's a pretty weak excuse IMO, for why when he did get a chance to face the live bullets, he didn't get to run an offense. A waste of a growth opportunity.

Depth at QB was an issue this year, and if Carnes was far from ready to play, he needed to be brought up to speed in case Taylor got hurt. Not to mention Taylor struggled at times this year, but his PT was handled as if he were one of the most locked-in starters in the country on a team that was not at all worried about what it had behind him. But that wasn't a senior veteran Zac Lee waiting to step in, not in 2011...

• Fire 2

I think this well said, but I also believe the OP stated what in fact many people think but just don't voice. We absolutely don't know what goes on behind closed doors and at practice, but what we do know is that our #2 quarterback has NO meaningful snaps of any kind. To me, that is a very large potential problem.

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

3 blowouts all year, and Carnes played in all 3. Do risk losing a game to develop one player?

Exactly. And not 1 of those 3 would've been considered "put in the backups" secure by Tom Osborne. Possibly UT Chat but definitely not the others. But the same people would complain about not putting the game away as are complaining about no experience for backups. Crying about Carnes not getting reps is code for "I don't like Taylor much"

• Fire 1

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

Actually, there were five blowouts. On top of that, MSU was a 21-point victory, so an argument can be made there.

And in the ones where Carnes did get in, he either got in very late, or wasn't asked to do anything, or both. I know some will argue "Maybe the coaches really wanted to evaluate his snap taking and handoff abilities", but that's a pretty weak excuse IMO, for why when he did get a chance to face the live bullets, he didn't get to run an offense. A waste of a growth opportunity.

Depth at QB was an issue this year, and if Carnes was far from ready to play, he needed to be brought up to speed in case Taylor got hurt. Not to mention Taylor struggled at times this year, but his PT was handled as if he were one of the most locked-in starters in the country on a team that was not at all worried about what it had behind him. But that wasn't a senior veteran Zac Lee waiting to step in, not in 2011...

Remember the outcry when Callahan put Beau Davis into the TT game? Putting your backup into a blowout loss is risky. Carnes got 2 series against UTC, 2 against Wyoming, and a quarter against Minnesota. Unfortunately, the defensive backups couldn't get them off the field, and they had a 9 minute drive. MSU had the ball for 10 minutes in the 4th quarter, and we only had 2 series. Do you sit TM in the 3rd quarter with the division on the line?

We're in a brand new offense, and trying to get our guys accustomed to it. Carnes has talent, but is still having problems understanding the offense. It's a tough balancing act, but if we had put away more teams, he certainly would have more time.

I think this well said, but I also believe the OP stated what in fact many people think but just don't voice. We absolutely don't know what goes on behind closed doors and at practice, but what we do know is that our #2 quarterback has NO meaningful snaps of any kind. To me, that is a very large potential problem.

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

Exactly. And not 1 of those 3 would've been considered "put in the backups" secure by Tom Osborne. Possibly UT Chat but definitely not the others. But the same people would complain about not putting the game away as are complaining about no experience for backups. Crying about Carnes not getting reps is code for "I don't like Taylor much"

So you know what I mean moreso than I do? I think I've been one of the more vocal ones on here who has changed my opinion of TM, I think he has improved tremendously, and I've said that numerous times. So that blows your "I don't like Taylor much" idea right out of the water.

And there were also two blowouts that we were on the other end of that were golden opportunities. And some of the shots TM took on the last series of the Michigan game were the type that could have had you calling to the sidelines for #2. And the Iowa game was not as close as that score indicated, yes if they score once more and then they recover a onside kick....yada, yada, yada. They scored one late TD with the help of numerous questionble calls, that game was not in doubt in the fourth quarter. I've never complained about not putting a game away.

But it doesn't matter what I think, Taylor will most likely continue to take every snap, and if something does happen to him we'll send in a QB who has zero experience.

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

So you know what I mean moreso than I do? I think I've been one of the more vocal ones on here who has changed my opinion of TM, I think he has improved tremendously, and I've said that numerous times. So that blows your "I don't like Taylor much" idea right out of the water.

And there were also two blowouts that we were on the other end of that were golden opportunities. And some of the shots TM took on the last series of the Michigan game were the type that could have had you calling to the sidelines for #2. And the Iowa game was not as close as that score indicated, yes if they score once more and then they recover a onside kick....yada, yada, yada. They scored one late TD with the help of numerous questionble calls, that game was not in doubt in the fourth quarter. I've never complained about not putting a game away.

But it doesn't matter what I think, Taylor will most likely continue to take every snap, and if something does happen to him we'll send in a QB who has zero experience.

i just can't see Carnes riding the pine for 2 more seasons, while TM takes every snap......and that is pretty damn likely to happen.

i find no fault with him, if he can find a better situation.

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

i just can't see Carnes riding the pine for 2 more seasons, while TM takes every snap......and that is pretty damn likely to happen.

I can't fault him either, the writing seems to be pretty clear on the wall. The question is, at what point do we attempt to get another QB up to speed in a game situation. What happens when TM graduates and no one is ready (and I know that is pure speculation, but at this point it doesn't seem likely that anyone else is going to get many snaps). Didn't we run into that after Crouch graduated?

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

Happy to find out we have mind readers on this site. I disagree completely and I am a TMart supporter. It just makes sense to have a feel for game speed and electricity in an environment that is not a blowout or kneel down situation. We seem to have NO problem substituting 21 other positions at any point in the game...............even so far as starters disappearing for much of the season. To argue that a series (in most games) late in the second quarter or early in the third carries unacceptable risk is nonsensical.

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

I can't fault him either, the writing seems to be pretty clear on the wall. The question is, at what point do we attempt to get another QB up to speed in a game situation. What happens when TM graduates and no one is ready (and I know that is pure speculation, but at this point it doesn't seem likely that anyone else is going to get many snaps). Didn't we run into that after Crouch graduated?

all good questions for Bo........i don't see him thinking this through, casuality of first HC job?

Brion is one of them, and I know this might ruffle some feathers, but I've seen Brion play, and I hate to break it to you Martinez kool aid drinkers, but Brion is a better dual threat QB than Martinez will ever be. Now Brion may not understand the offense the way Martinez does, but you can't tell me it looked like Martinez even had a great grasp of it.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you have no idea WTF is going on, you're a liability. Hate to break it to you, but you're wrong.

Most Western Kentucky recruits know exactly what is going on.

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

I did not mean to imply that you specifically do not care for Martinez. But, many who have been championing the "Bo sucks because he didn't play Carnes more" line often are the ones who are overly critical of TM and Bo in general. Sorry if you felt I aimed that directly at you. I will use names when I am not just generally speaking. Heck I thought Carnes should've seen action at wiscy and michigan but not in any game we were only ahead by 30ish. Unlike some people (not necessarily you) I actually give Pelini a little credit for understanding the game and knowing his players better than some fans whose only qualifications appear to be having an internet connection and time for second guessing.

My source inside the program says that none of these 3 guys is planning to transfer and he isn't aware of any who are. He says that at least one of these players is actually quite po'd that these types of rumors seem to have any credibility. He thinks too many people have way too much spare time

That's great news!! Whew!!

CHATTANOOGA W 40-7

FRESNO STATE W 42-29

WASHINGTON W 51-38

WYOMING W 38-14

WISCONSIN L 48-17

OHIO STATE W 34-27

MINNESOTA W 41-14

MICH. STATE W 24-3

NORTHWESTERN L 28-25

PENN STATE W 17-14

MICHIGAN L 45-17

IOWA W 20-7

(This doesn't apply to you in particular, but to many of these Carnes backers) Saying a few nice things about a kid doesn't change the underlying negativity that riddle most of the posts about him. Saying he's improved on one hand, then begging for the other guy to be in on the other is contradicting yourself, imo.

I saw Carnes play during the UTC game. he fumbled the ball.

Then i saw him play against Minnesota and almost threw an interception but it was incomplete.

yeah he sucks! Fumbling the ball and ALMOST throwing an INT! Man I wouldn't play this guy even if TM was hurt. I'd go with Rex, he can do it all! And he has not thrown an INT. Not even ALMOST.

I think everyone can agree that there have been a couple situations where we could have had Carnes come in. However some of those situations would have been much like the ones he already was in for, where the only thing he would be doing is handing it off. I must admit, though, that it is strange not seeing Carnes much this year even though I remember Pelini saying good things about him. I think I remember him even mentioning Carnes on ESPN and having full confidence in him.