Rumblings of Player Transfer

Landlord

I don't think Carnes was ready to step into any game with the outcome still in doubt. I think the coaches knew that and I think Carnes knew that. I don't remember many fourth quarters that weren't in doubt, and that includes Iowa.

I did rewatch the Iowa game before I erased it. It seemed to me to be the game Husker fans had been clamoring for the past two seasons. Long sustained drives with the offensive line exerting its will against a respected rush defense, just enough passing to keep it exciting, the defense pitching a shut-out until Iowa got lucky. In the fourth quarter, having pounded an exhausted Iowa D for the previous three quarters, it would have been inviting wrath to suddenly start passing more. The difference, unfortunately, is that Burkhead was getting us four yards when we needed three, and his backups were getting three yards when we needed four. Another lucky play by Iowa and we'd be sweating out the last 8 minutes again. While we need to develop young players, they also have to step up when given the chance. The running backs aren't there yet, and Carnes is a bigger liability (though I love how he can be a better quarterback than Taylor Martinez will ever be without taking a legitimate snap)

• Fire 1

If Carnes wants to leave I'd support him. Never got a REAL chance at starting and will sit behind Martinez for 2 more years. Kids sometimes are "team" players, sometimes they know they don't have the skills so they stay behind that player, and others want to leave to get on the field. Is what it is.

The bold is silly. First, he's only had the opportunity to start one year, and he is NOT ready. At all. Second, we happen to have an incumbent starter who's, at times, gotten Heisman hype. He's not chopped liver and he accounted for 60% of our total offense this year. Saying Carnes didn't get a "real chance at starting" in the face of those numbers is just silly.

I have come to some sort of understanding that you seem to know some things inside the program that the rest of us don't know although I've never really learned exactly what your role is. That said, I have heard others, including the coaches say that Brion is not close to being ready. My only counter argument to that claim would be, that if this kid and the coaches really are in agreement that he is not ready, then why the hell would he want to get out of here. He must feel like he is ready to contribute to a football team immediately or he would not be thinking of transferring. Which, for the record, there are sources that say he is seriously considering it.

Secondly. Incumbent starter? The guy is a sophomore. He has played one year in Shawn Watson's offense, and one year in an entirely different offense under Tim Beck. We don't even have an incumbent offensive coordinator, let alone a guy at QB that has exactly snatched the job and never looked back. As much as some of you want to deny it, the fact is that anyone who knows anything about the QB position has questioned whether or not Taylor Martinez could perform a sustained amount of time at the Division 1 level. Whether that be due to the fact that running QB's like him are more prone to injury, or because of the poor release of the football he has not been able to overcome. Now I agree that Taylor will probably remain the starter for the rest of his career, and really, I couldn't tell you why, because the fact is, that I look at other teams, and they are all able to find capable dual threat QB's. I would think Nebraska would be able to find guys like Washington has in Price so on and so forth.

Third. I would like to know how much of our offense our WR's contributed if anyone was diligent enough to find the stat on that. I hope it's a decent contribution. As much offense as Taylor contributed, I would say his largest contribution to this offense this year was the way he handed the ball to Rex Burkhead and got the hell out of the way. Thus, the 35 and 38 carries Rex had in single games this year.

Taylor is improving his play, but I would like to see him develop more as a leader. If he is "the guy" then he has to be " the leader" of this team.

Hope it is not Carnes, he is a helluva lot better QB than Martinez will ever be.

We're the greatest fans but no one ever accused us of being the smartest.

Yes, because if someone's opinion about the QB situation is different than yours, then they are apparently very very stupid.

Because it is stupid. If you can't figure our why it's your problem.

Hope it is not Carnes, he is a helluva lot better QB than Martinez will ever be.

Yes, because if someone's opinion about the QB situation is different than yours, then they are apparently very very stupid.

Because it is stupid. If you can't figure our why it's your problem.

Pot meet kettle.

Lo, how many games do you think we could have legitimately put in our backups in the last four years? Specifically, which position and which game(s) should "the backup" have played?

It's all well and good to rant that we're not playing the backups. Personally, I think Carnes should have seen time in the fourth quarter against Iowa last Friday, but even then, all it took was one pick-six and it's a one-possession game.

To get the backups reps, you're going to have to find games where we were comfortably ahead, not still learning a new offense/defense, and/or had a starter with enough experience that you could unequivocally say that he knows what he needs to know, and can watch the rest of the game.

I can't think of more than two or three games, and none in the past two years, that fit this criteria. Can you? What about the rest of the Bo Pelini era?

How dare you bring logic to a message board??

GREAT POST

Not always. Only when the opinion is dumb.

Lo, how many games do you think we could have legitimately put in our backups in the last four years? Specifically, which position and which game(s) should "the backup" have played?

It's all well and good to rant that we're not playing the backups. Personally, I think Carnes should have seen time in the fourth quarter against Iowa last Friday, but even then, all it took was one pick-six and it's a one-possession game.

To get the backups reps, you're going to have to find games where we were comfortably ahead, not still learning a new offense/defense, and/or had a starter with enough experience that you could unequivocally say that he knows what he needs to know, and can watch the rest of the game.

I can't think of more than two or three games, and none in the past two years, that fit this criteria. Can you? What about the rest of the Bo Pelini era?

That part of your comment considered, I would say it is impossible to meet those criteria. With a first year offensive coordinator, I don't think there was anyone on this team that wasn't trying to familiarize themselves with this offense. The problem is, if Taylor gets two more years and Brion does not see more time, then it will almost be like starting from scratch all over again when Taylor graduates. You only get 4-5 years with these kids. It is vital to the program that we establish a level of comfort in real game situation with all of our younger class.

I do see the point of getting Taylor familiar with the offense to a degree as well. He is the starter and neither him or Brion had a leg up in this first year under Beck other than the fact that Taylor had game experience. I truly believe Brion has better presence, footwork and passing skills to execute an offense. I could see why they would stick with Taylor this year. Brion should get opportunities though as well. Had he not taken a few snaps earlier in the year and then just disappeared the rest of the season maybe there would be less frustration. It seemed if he was good enough to get in when he did, that there may have been other times he deserved a few snaps.

Kind of disappointing that Taylor had not grasped this offense enough to the point that in the very last game of the year, we are still handing the ball to Rex for 38 carries when Rex is clearly not 100%. You'd think if Taylor was such a defined and outright starter that we would only have to get Rex beat up on 20 carries or so.