Fans at the Iowa Game

majech

There were a LOT of Iowa fans at the game. I would guesstimate somewhere around 10,000 to 15,000.

They had thinned out some by the middle of the fourth quarter, though. I think they didn't have as much fun watching the game as they thought they would.

Sorry, but there were no where near 10K IA fans in the stadium. The visitors section is what 3K? And there were NU fans peppered in there. North Stadium had a block of fans, let say 20 rows so what is that? 500? And then ones and twos interspersed.

I think it is generous to say there were 6K total.

They filled Sections 20, 21 and 41, which I estimated to be between 3,000 and 4,000 each. Aside from that there were black- and gold-clad fans in every other section, and not in small numbers. There were, conservative estimate, 15 Iowa fans within five rows of me, and in section 33 there was a large block of fans, plus tons more interspersed around the section. I would say 10,000 is a pretty fair estimate, with a possibility for more.

If you want a hoot, read up on the Iowegians expectations of Husker fan behavior. Who do they think we are, Wisconsin?

LINK 1

Quote from this article:

While Foell said Nebraska fans were gracious in winning, the game’s outcome affected their behavior.

“Iowa shows up sometimes, today they didn’t,’ Foell said.

Foell thought if Iowa made it a closer game, the self-proclaimed greatest fans in college football might have a different attitude.

Ask Texas about our attitude when we lose at home, Mr. Foell.

LINK 2

Quote from this article:

“I would have gone to Iowa, but I would have flunked out,” Pacha said. “Iowa City is too much of a party town.”

He didn’t have much use for his fellow Huskers.

“They think they’re better than everybody,” Pacha said.

“Yeah,” added Reyes, “ever since the streak in the 1990s, they think they’re so awesome. Well, enjoy 8-4, guys.”

Someone pointed out that Nebraska finished the regular season 9-3 overall.

“Sorry,” Reyes said. “I’ve been drinking.”

FWIW, I've never been a season ticket holder and never will be one. I grew up in rural Nebraska like many Husker fans, and now live in Kansas City. For a decade now, anytime I've wanted to go back to Lincoln and see a game its been very easy to acquire tickets. I can call back home and find somebody wanting to sell, get on craigs list, or even show up in Lincoln and buy some tickets on the street. Its just not that difficult to find tickets, and in most occasions I can purchase tickets for face value, near face value, or even below face value. The only times I've ever paid out of my arse for tickets were the USC game in '07 and the Texas game last year.... My fault we lost both games, I know.

My point is its not difficult to accumulate tickets for Husker games, and its even easier if you can drive to Lincoln in a few hours or less. So I'm not surprised to see 5,000 Iowa fans in the stadium, especially the first time the game was played. Some of the Iowa fans I work with here in KC had been planning on attending the game since it was announced over a year ago.

Yeah, I saw some Hawkeye fans sitting with Husker fans, knew each other too well to just be friendly fans. But there were groups of Hawkeye fans scattered too. I guess that's why tickets were still going for $125 and tough to find more than a single 1/2 hour before the game. Luckily I came across 4 at face value. We were close to giving up. My son kept his unbeaten record alive, 7-0 I believe, including the 2 A&M comebacks and the 98 Orange Bowl.

My son's first game was vs the Cyclowns during our fumble-a-rama. Not a good start, though it hopefully can only get better! Though @ 6 yrs old he didn't know the difference and he still talks about it today. Great memories, crappy game.

No one is realizing that Iowa is the closest rivalry we have ever had geographically speaking. With the exception of Kansas fans. Its probably the shortest drive period for folks in Council Bluffs and other western Iowa cities to flock 1 hour away to Lincoln for a football game.

Im not surprised by the turnout of Iowa fans. It was a well advertised game that had been building momentum ever since the announcement came that we were coming to the Big Ten. I wouldn't be surprised if we paint Kinnick Stadium red next year.

It didn't look bad on TV but it was noticeable that there were more visiting fans than usual. Based on the colors in the stadium, I would say 6k-8k Iowa fans. Nothing like what we do to visiting stadiums so I wouldn't feel too bad. I do feel it is a Husker fans duty to try to get their tickets into other red hands though. It's one thing if your Iowa friend goes with you but if you're just selling them, it wouldn't take much extra effort to see they get to the "right" people.

It didn't look bad on TV but it was noticeable that there were more visiting fans than usual. Based on the colors in the stadium, I would say 6k-8k Iowa fans. Nothing like what we do to visiting stadiums so I wouldn't feel too bad. I do feel it is a Husker fans duty to try to get their tickets into other red hands though. It's one thing if your Iowa friend goes with you but if you're just selling them, it wouldn't take much extra effort to see they get to the "right" people.

I wouldn't disagree with this. My 10k-15k was a high-side estimate, probably.

There were a noticeable number of Iowegians at the game. But really, I was mostly focusing on the girl sitting next to me. Can't say enough how nice, and good-looking, she was.

There were a noticeable number of Iowegians at the game. But really, I was mostly focusing on the girl sitting next to me. Can't say enough how nice, and good-looking, she was.

Was she over 18? :D

Was she over 18? :D

Of course.

There were a LOT of Iowa fans at the game. I would guesstimate somewhere around 10,000 to 15,000.

They had thinned out some by the middle of the fourth quarter, though. I think they didn't have as much fun watching the game as they thought they would.

Sorry, but there were no where near 10K IA fans in the stadium. The visitors section is what 3K? And there were NU fans peppered in there. North Stadium had a block of fans, let say 20 rows so what is that? 500? And then ones and twos interspersed.

I think it is generous to say there were 6K total.

They filled Sections 20, 21 and 41, which I estimated to be between 3,000 and 4,000 each. Aside from that there were black- and gold-clad fans in every other section, and not in small numbers. There were, conservative estimate, 15 Iowa fans within five rows of me, and in section 33 there was a large block of fans, plus tons more interspersed around the section. I would say 10,000 is a pretty fair estimate, with a possibility for more.

If you want a hoot, read up on the Iowegians expectations of Husker fan behavior. Who do they think we are, Wisconsin?

LINK 1

Quote from this article:

While Foell said Nebraska fans were gracious in winning, the game’s outcome affected their behavior.

“Iowa shows up sometimes, today they didn’t,’ Foell said.

Foell thought if Iowa made it a closer game, the self-proclaimed greatest fans in college football might have a different attitude.

Ask Texas about our attitude when we lose at home, Mr. Foell.

LINK 2

Quote from this article:

“I would have gone to Iowa, but I would have flunked out,” Pacha said. “Iowa City is too much of a party town.”

He didn’t have much use for his fellow Huskers.

“They think they’re better than everybody,” Pacha said.

“Yeah,” added Reyes, “ever since the streak in the 1990s, they think they’re so awesome. Well, enjoy 8-4, guys.”

Someone pointed out that Nebraska finished the regular season 9-3 overall.

“Sorry,” Reyes said. “I’ve been drinking.”

They didn't fill these sections. They were in the upper third/half of section 41, lower half of 21, and upper half of 20. So with your estimates that would be 6000 max there. Then the interspersings of maybe 2000-2500. At most the 10,000 inside the stadium I am guessing.

When my friends and I rolled into Lincoln to tailgate at the Haymarket Park area.....it almost felt like we were in Iowa....not to sound so negative, but there were a ton of Hawkeye fans down at Haymarket park tailgating. I might add...there were still plenty of Husker fans...I was just verrrry surprised by the Hawkeye turnout for tailgating.