Huskers Vs. Deacs

For all the people asking for Doc to go, who do we realistically get to replace him? Anything would be a lateral move in my opinion. It seems more like a personnel problem to me. JBD is just not suited to play inside. Almeida would make a big difference if he could play.

Exactly, they only way Nebraska gets a better coach is if they take some young guy no ones ever heard of and they hit the lottery and he turns out to be great. Almeida would not make the difference some people seem to think he would; with every game he sits his abilities seem to increase in the minds of fans.

3rd and long - earlier in the game they did have a guy on the free throw line but Wake was taking him away. As for the last couple minutes, don't try to figure out what was going on there, you'll go crazy. I don't think Doc or any of the players even know what was going on.

Not saying Doc is going to get fired, but you don't think any good coach will want to come here with all the new facilities? The announcers were talking about it today and said they'd never seen anything like it and they are better than the KU facilities. That has to count for something when a coach is considering coming here.

For all the people asking for Doc to go, who do we realistically get to replace him? Anything would be a lateral move in my opinion. It seems more like a personnel problem to me. JBD is just not suited to play inside. Almeida would make a big difference if he could play.

Exactly, they only way Nebraska gets a better coach is if they take some young guy no ones ever heard of and they hit the lottery and he turns out to be great. Almeida would not make the difference some people seem to think he would; with every game he sits his abilities seem to increase in the minds of fans.

3rd and long - earlier in the game they did have a guy on the free throw line but Wake was taking him away. As for the last couple minutes, don't try to figure out what was going on there, you'll go crazy. I don't think Doc or any of the players even know what was going on.

That is too funny, sad really, but funny.

Out in the western end of the state we're lucky to get to see a handful of games throughout the season so it's tough to really have much of an idea what is going on. But from the few games I've seen over the last few years it's always appeared that under Doc we've always played really excellent defense. Thats why that last play with no off side help is so baffling, and then to find out we had a foul to give.....wow. The little bit of the game I saw, the offense looked disturbingly familar, and on our last possesion the best look we can get is a one handed, off balance leaner as the shot clock winds down. Is our talent level up or down this year? Do we have anyone who can score off the dribble or create shots for themselves, or do we normally just work the perimeter looking for the three?

The first couple of years Doc was here, I thought he really did an impressive job with little/no talent. Especially, the year of the muppets, when we were the smallest team in D-1. I thought, along with a lot of folks, that once he got some talent, he would do fine. Wrong. He has more talent now then any team he's had..............but he seems to have no clue how to utilize it. He may be the stubbornest coach in history. He hangs his hat on D, but is woeful on offense. Case in point..........he has enough athletes to run the floor (as evidenced by the higher point totals in early games this year), but reverts back to his favorite offensive strategy in "bigger" games. That consists of throwing it around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down and we are forced to take a poor shot. Shooting 4 free throws? Maybe if we penetrated a little we might draw some fouls.

Barely averaged a little over a point a minute vs a TERRIBLE WF outfit. Wasted time-outs and nothing set up coming out of time-outs. Totally out-coached again at crunch time.

Not saying Doc is going to get fired, but you don't think any good coach will want to come here with all the new facilities? The announcers were talking about it today and said they'd never seen anything like it and they are better than the KU facilities. That has to count for something when a coach is considering coming here.

In my opinion, the best bet for getting a great hire would be for him to come in the same year the new arena opens up. A guy might take the chance then because by that point word will have spread about the great practice facility and the buzz in Husker Nation will be extremely high in anticipation of the new arena. All that excitement could be just enough to make a better hire than usual. Thing is, it's almost certain T.O. will give Doc 2 years in the new arena (barring a monumental meltdown before that). You'll still have incredible facilities to recruit to, but by that point there will be no buzz around the program and guys will see that even with facilities kids still didn't want to come here. You'll still get a better coach than you would have without all that stuff, but I don't think you'll have the same caliber of coach interested in the job as you would if you were bringing them in with the arena.

The last 2 minutes were just terrible coaching. So lets burn all our timeouts because go forbid we cant call a play from the sideline. Then as WF has the ball lets let them do a isolation screen forcing the defense to switch and that will put our slow puerto rican center on the point guard. Yea excellent defense.

Wait we had a foul to give????

Yea, Doc needs to go now. This is the first time I have said this in probably 4 years.

I know some are really high on JBD, but I just don't see it. Isn't he supposed to be our center? He's tall but gets pushed around so much underneath the basket that it negates any advantage he may have by being tall. Having him at center wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it's obvious Doc wants to get the ball inside and power the ball to the basket. JBD just can't do that.

Hopefully this team can get some things figured out before conference play, or it's going to be a really horrible year. The Big 10 is looking like a very solid basketball conference this year and if we shoot the ball like we did yesterday, it will be nearly impossible to win games.

I know some are really high on JBD, but I just don't see it. Isn't he supposed to be our center? He's tall but gets pushed around so much underneath the basket that it negates any advantage he may have by being tall. Having him at center wouldn't be as much of a problem, but it's obvious Doc wants to get the ball inside and power the ball to the basket. JBD just can't do that.

Hopefully this team can get some things figured out before conference play, or it's going to be a really horrible year. The Big 10 is looking like a very solid basketball conference this year and if we shoot the ball like we did yesterday, it will be nearly impossible to win games.

Not necessarily disagreeing with anything you said, just pointing something out: Doc does not want to power the ball to the basket with JBD. He wants to get the ball inside so JBD can either score or kick it back out - exactly what he was doing last night. Has nothing to do with power. JBD is not a power player and Doc knows it, that's why you don't see him crashing the boards everytime or always posting up right under the hoop calling for the ball. Doc has gotten creative in finding rebounds with guards and getting JBD to score in ways other than dunking it because he knows that's not the player JBD is. If they had fed him the ball like they should have all night he would have gone for 20 points and 5 assists. That's pretty productive.

I expect Doc will have them ready for CU and be competitive, but CU's victory at SDS shows that they may be for real, and the coach's son so far is playing All-American caliber basketball. I can see the Skers staying within 10, but I don't see them having the talent to beat them at the Quest.

CenturyLink Center. Fixed it for you.

Not sure what will happen Sunday, but look for a LOT of touches for Diaz in the remaining non-con games.

backer you know your my boy, but here we go.

1. Diaz will be ineffective Sunday. CU with McDermmot and Echenique will limit him a bunch. Echenique will keep him off the boards and hold him under his 4 rebound a gae average.

2. The problem of giving JBD touches, means facing the truth that JBD has to secure said entry pass and then be strong with said ball in his possession. This is something he has continued to struggle with. If he isn't forcing up a shot from behind the backboard, he is dribbling it off his foot, or getting stripped by a guard dropping down(why he is doubled is beyond me) to double him.

3. I know, and you know I know, that JBD is not a power kind of guy. So I let the pass go with him on going after offensive rebounds so he can get back on defense. It is his defensive rebounding that is atroshish(man if I spelled that one right +1 from me) he is just bad and gets moved away from the glass by guards.

4. With his skill set, I honestly think it would be best for him to get his touches from the high post and let Ubel play the low post. JBD is a decent passer, and I think that he could thrive from the high post. Hell half of his "post touches" usually take place from >7 feet out once he is pushed off the block.

5. I severely disagree with your assessment of AA. He IS being missed and it only will become more obvious when NU has to match up with bigger stronger centers in league play. We saw last year the spark he provides off the bench. It was always just a crap shoot if he was going to pick up 3 fouls in 40 seconds. But he is a presense in the paint and is just as good as a passer out of the post as JBD

Not sure what will happen Sunday, but look for a LOT of touches for Diaz in the remaining non-con games.

backer you know your my boy, but here we go.

1. Diaz will be ineffective Sunday. CU with McDermmot and Echenique will limit him a bunch. Echenique will keep him off the boards and hold him under his 4 rebound a gae average.

2. The problem of giving JBD touches, means facing the truth that JBD has to secure said entry pass and then be strong with said ball in his possession. This is something he has continued to struggle with. If he isn't forcing up a shot from behind the backboard, he is dribbling it off his foot, or getting stripped by a guard dropping down(why he is doubled is beyond me) to double him.

3. I know, and you know I know, that JBD is not a power kind of guy. So I let the pass go with him on going after offensive rebounds so he can get back on defense. It is his defensive rebounding that is atroshish(man if I spelled that one right +1 from me) he is just bad and gets moved away from the glass by guards.

4. With his skill set, I honestly think it would be best for him to get his touches from the high post and let Ubel play the low post. JBD is a decent passer, and I think that he could thrive from the high post. Hell half of his "post touches" usually take place from >7 feet out once he is pushed off the block.

5. I severely disagree with your assessment of AA. He IS being missed and it only will become more obvious when NU has to match up with bigger stronger centers in league play. We saw last year the spark he provides off the bench. It was always just a crap shoot if he was going to pick up 3 fouls in 40 seconds. But he is a presense in the paint and is just as good as a passer out of the post as JBD

My time away from HB was fun, but I do so enjoy being back so I can set you straight, PC. chuckleshuffle Actually not much setting straight to do here, just clarifications on my part.

1. I have no doubt Dougy and Echichiniquewanna can shut down Diaz. The way I intended that post to read was: Doc wants Diaz to get touches so to emphasize that he WILL be making the guards give the ball to JBD a LOT the rest of the noncon, EXCEPT for maybe CU because I'm not sure how Doc will approach that game.

2. I will never feel safe watching a pass going JBD's way, he is terrible at taking care of it. That said, he hasn't been AS bad these last few games and he is scoring it right now, so the chance has to be taken.... for now.

3. agree

4. agree, this also brings up a point I've been pondering all year. When Ubel and Diaz came in, all the excitement was this great high-low game Doc was going to install. Where the hell has that been? I understand neither one has played well at the same time and some of what has been going on hasn't really allowed for it, but I'm shocked at how little we've seen of this.

5. No doubt AA is missed severely. I was directing that comment to those who seem to think he would be averaging 20 and 10 night in and night out. Even without the injury he's still nowhere near good enough shape to be that guy.

My time away from HB was fun, but I do so enjoy being back so I can set you straight, PC. chuckleshuffle Actually not much setting straight to do here, just clarifications on my part.

1. I have no doubt Dougy and Echichiniquewanna can shut down Diaz. The way I intended that post to read was: Doc wants Diaz to get touches so to emphasize that he WILL be making the guards give the ball to JBD a LOT the rest of the noncon, EXCEPT for maybe CU because I'm not sure how Doc will approach that game.

2. I will never feel safe watching a pass going JBD's way, he is terrible at taking care of it. That said, he hasn't been AS bad these last few games and he is scoring it right now, so the chance has to be taken.... for now.

3. agree

4. agree, this also brings up a point I've been pondering all year. When Ubel and Diaz came in, all the excitement was this great high-low game Doc was going to install. Where the hell has that been? I understand neither one has played well at the same time and some of what has been going on hasn't really allowed for it, but I'm shocked at how little we've seen of this.

5. No doubt AA is missed severely. I was directing that comment to those who seem to think he would be averaging 20 and 10 night in and night out. Even without the injury he's still nowhere near good enough shape to be that guy.

Good to have ya back, and I thought we had seen eye to eye on many things involving Kenneth Sadler's squad, so I was a little shocked at the way some of your posts came off.

The only thing I will add to your #2 is that remember Diaz has scored in the non-con. He really falls apart in conference play. And the B1G is going to be a lot more physical than the Big XII-ish. Think A&M post play most every game except Iowa because they are crap. That is until Gessell gets there next year and tears sh#t up.