OSU deserves to play for the title - they really, really do

Landlord

"If we don't get in the BCS [title game], if I have the power to do it, I'm going to have an investigation," Oklahoma State mega-booster T. Boone Pickens said after Saturday night's game. "After the way we handled OU tonight, I just can't imagine LSU playing Alabama twice. It looks like an SEC-closed system if that happens." LINK

Outrage like this. Those Cowboys are gonna get screwed. And make some big noise while going down.

In a perfect world, if you are truly committed to fairness, LSU would be crowned right now. The national champion is the team with the most impressive season, with the bowls being an extension of that season, and the championship game being a tiebreaker of sorts between the top two teams, when both seasons were equally (or nearly equally) impressive. Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State (yes, the circumstances were unfortunate but cannot excuse the result) and Alabama lost to LSU. LSU went 12-0 then won the conference championship impressively. LSU is 13-0 in a very tough conference. There is no need for an additional game.

Of course, we're committed to tradition and money over fairness, so there will be a game. And it'll probably be against Alabama. And if Alabama wins, the teams will compare as follows:

LSU 13-1, SEC Champions, 1-1 head to head, tougher schedule (wins against Oregon, Georgia and WVU)

Alabama 12-1, NOT SEC Champions, 1-1 head to head, weaker schedule (win against Penn St.)

So who had the best overall season? LSU.

In a perfect world, if you are truly committed to fairness, LSU would be crowned right now. The national champion is the team with the most impressive season, with the bowls being an extension of that season, and the championship game being a tiebreaker of sorts between the top two teams, when both seasons were equally (or nearly equally) impressive. Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State (yes, the circumstances were unfortunate but cannot excuse the result) and Alabama lost to LSU. LSU went 12-0 then won the conference championship impressively. LSU is 13-0 in a very tough conference. There is no need for an additional game.

Of course, we're committed to tradition and money over fairness, so there will be a game. And it'll probably be against Alabama. And if Alabama wins, the teams will compare as follows:

LSU 13-1, SEC Champions, 1-1 head to head, tougher schedule (wins against Oregon, Georgia and WVU)

Alabama 12-1, NOT SEC Champions, 1-1 head to head, weaker schedule (win against Penn St.)

So who had the best overall season? LSU.

So it is a two team playoff.

This is the perfect situation for a +1 scenario. It would be nice to see OSU and Alabama play for the opportunity to have a shot against LSU. I think it's going to be a toss-up between the 'pokes and Bama for who gets the championship game, but I think that Alabama is the slightly better team. I won't have an issue with whichever of them gets it. I'm not part of the "Alabama had their shot" crowd, though. Alabama and LSU are in the same division, and I think they're the two best teams in the country. The fact that they have to play through each other doesn't nullify that fact, especially after a 9-6 overtime loss.

(Full disclosure: As my screen name here implies, I'm living in Birmingham. I am in no way an Alabama fan, though. I do not care about them at all, but my die-hard Bama fan wife is a different story haha)

Thanks for the kind words. While I am disappointed we weren't selected to the championship game, I am ecstatic with the way our guys beat OU to secure the Big 12. Our history has been...painful. But as Blackmon said earlier in the season, "We're not OSU history, we're OSU now". I hope that "now" isn't just a blip on the radar and we remain relevant to college football in more than a schedule-us-for-your-homecoming-game kind of way. :)

Just because OSU had a terrible tragedy fall upon them the night before a game in no way excuses their performance. I'm sure the players will be the first ones to tell you that.

If we picked the game purely based on what match-ups would be fun to watch, then why not Stanford? Luck vs that LSU secondary?

Just because the LSU v. Alabama game didn't live up to the hype doesn't mean it won't again in round two. Even though they already played, it was a close game that either team could have won. That's all the more reason to play it again if possible. OSU played a great schedule, but who's to say that Alabama couldn't have won more games against ranked opponents if given the chance? The argument is based off something that hasn't happened. What the BCS had to go by is what kind of resume each team turned in. Alabama played in the toughest division in the toughest conference in college football bar none. Their only slip up was by 3 points, in overtime, to potentially one of the greatest teams to ever play the game.

In contrast, OSU had a good number of impressive victories, but the significance of that loss in Ames in late November overshadows what they accomplished throughout the year, as it should. OSU has the worse loss of the two teams and Alabama played in a tougher overall conference and only lost to #1 LSU by 3 in OT.

The BCS got it right. If you want to see OSU play LSU, then complain for a playoff, not against the BCS.

Just because OSU had a terrible tragedy fall upon them the night before a game in no way excuses their performance. I'm sure the players will be the first ones to tell you that.

If we picked the game purely based on what match-ups would be fun to watch, then why not Stanford? Luck vs that LSU secondary?

Just because the LSU v. Alabama game didn't live up to the hype doesn't mean it won't again in round two. Even though they already played, it was a close game that either team could have won. That's all the more reason to play it again if possible. OSU played a great schedule, but who's to say that Alabama couldn't have won more games against ranked opponents if given the chance? The argument is based off something that hasn't happened. What the BCS had to go by is what kind of resume each team turned in. Alabama played in the toughest division in the toughest conference in college football bar none. Their only slip up was by 3 points, in overtime, to potentially one of the greatest teams to ever play the game.

In contrast, OSU had a good number of impressive victories, but the significance of that loss in Ames in late November overshadows what they accomplished throughout the year, as it should. OSU has the worse loss of the two teams and Alabama played in a tougher overall conference and only lost to #1 LSU by 3 in OT.

The BCS got it right. If you want to see OSU play LSU, then complain for a playoff, not against the BCS.

With what i bolded you just lost all credibility. They are NOT EVEN CLOSE to some of the best college football teams ever.

With what i bolded you just lost all credibility. They are NOT EVEN CLOSE to some of the best college football teams ever.

Knapp agrees with me on that subject. Does that mean Knapp loses all credibility too? They have played one of the toughest schedules in recent memory (majority of the big, ranked opponents being on the road) and not only won all of those games, they won decisively.

Please elaborate on why the 2011 LSU Tigers are "NOT EVEN CLOSE" to some of the best college football teams ever. I would love to hear your argument against them.