Is LSU one of the all-time greats?

LSU one of the all-time greats?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unfortunately, I can't decide yes or no until the big game. They have a really convincing argument as of right now, but the thorn in my side is still that Bama game. They did what they ultimate had to do - win. But can one of the all time greats really be considered an all time great if they can't even score a touchdown in a game, regardless of who that opponent is? I don't know the answer to that, but it's something to consider.

If they lose, they're out of the discussion of being in the Top 5, 10 or maybe even close to that. If you want to be a great, you have to win it all imho, regardless of how weird the system is when you win it.

Unfortunately, I can't decide yes or no until the big game. They have a really convincing argument as of right now, but the thorn in my side is still that Bama game. They did what they ultimate had to do - win. But can one of the all time greats really be considered an all time great if they can't even score a touchdown in a game, regardless of who that opponent is? I don't know the answer to that, but it's something to consider.

If they lose, they're out of the discussion of being in the Top 5, 10 or maybe even close to that. If you want to be a great, you have to win it all imho, regardless of how weird the system is when you win it.

Uh...sorry, but one game does NOT make you an all time great team. Just sayin'.... :wasted

I heard Jesse Palmer say that LSU will be considered one of the all-time greats. So was wondering what others thought?

Jesse Palmer is a ****ing idiot.

If anything, one must see where the teams LSU beat to get there end up at the end of the season before we start declaring anything of this nature.

IIRC, '95 Nebraska beat four teams that ended the season in the Top 10. LSU may be close to this, but not by the margins or with the panache that Nebraska did it with.

Just because LSU barely beat Alabama, a team that maybe has one of the best defenses ever, doesn't mean they don't deserve consideration. Don't forget they stuck it to every other team on their schedule.

The problem is Mills that ESPN has done this before in the current season with the greatest team ever crap. 03 OU, 05 USC, 06 TX. What if LSU loses? Then everyone drops this subject like a hot potato.

Just because LSU barely beat Alabama, a team that maybe has one of the best defenses ever, doesn't mean they don't deserve consideration. Don't forget they stuck it to every other team on their schedule.

The problem is Mills that ESPN has done this before in the current season with the greatest team ever crap. 03 OU, 05 USC, 06 TX. What if LSU loses? Then everyone drops this subject like a hot potato.

First of all, who brought ESPN into this?

Second of all, if LSU loses, then they obviously should drop the subject like a "hot potato" because they aren't one of the all-time greats. The best ever don't lose games, no matter who they play. They're still a hell of a team win or lose, but I guess I don't know what you're getting at by bringing ESPN into it.

First of all, who brought ESPN into this?

Second of all, if LSU loses, then they obviously should drop the subject like a "hot potato" because they aren't one of the all-time greats. The best ever don't lose games, no matter who they play. They're still a hell of a team win or lose, but I guess I don't know what you're getting at by bringing ESPN into it.

Because Jesse Palmer works for ESPN. the OP started because of what Jesse said.

• 1 month later...

Can we lay this crap espn tries to hype up every "potentially" undefeated national championship team with (for more raitings) to rest again for another year now?

All time greats win all their games, dominate them physically and don't luck out to win them.

LSU could have been one, with an offense. Alabama could've been one with the same thing in the first game, assuming they domintated the rematch.

That being said, what a boring ass game, and I don't mean defensive struggle, because it was a pretty good game of football... it was just who cares? Someone needs to stop the SEC overrecruiting, cheating bullcrap and even things out again. I don't care if the big ten starts to condone it or the NCAA mandates it stops, but handicapping yourself in the dirty business of college football costs more by losing then it does if you get caught, and the SEC obviously will bend rules as far as they can (and then some).

And it results in the same thing either way, rampant "oversigning" i.e. cheating before you even get to the shady pay for play sh#t, with a small percentage being punished. Then calls for reform. Just play the damn game right. Treat the players right. 4 year scholoarships should have been the norm since they were offered.

2. the rematch always favors the losing team.

I feel like this is kinda the common idea across college football in bowls, or maybe it's just nebraska lore after the oklahoma fiasco, but, the rematch seems to go to the losing team.

Just read a Berry Tramel article highlighting this particular topic yesterday.

Rematches are common in the NFL. Divisional games. Playoff games. Happens all the time.

Monday night in the Big Bowl, LSU and Alabama play for the national championship in a rematch. The Tigers won 9-6 in overtime at Tuscaloosa. I don’t know what it means, but college football rematches are virtually impossible to pin down. They are virtually 50-50 affairs.

I found 42 college football rematches in history, or at least since World War II. Teams that won the first game are just 21-21 in the rematch.

Here are the rematches that I found, listed with the bowl game or championship game that set up the rematch:

Continue Reading