Is LSU one of the all-time greats?

LSU one of the all-time greats?  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would put them top ten right now. I can't think of many teams that can boast this resume:

Beat current BCS #5 Oregon by 13

Beat current BCS #23 West Virginia by 26

Beat current BCS #25 Auburn by 35

Beat current BCS #2 Alabama by 3

Beat current BCS #6 Arkansas by 24

Beat current BCS #16 Georgia by 32

Their average margin of victory over currently ranked opponents is 22 points. The average rank of opponents they've beaten is 13 (BCS). Overall they've beaten six currently ranked teams, and they beat eight teams who were ranked at the time of their game.

Being purely objective, disappearing offense aside, I can't put them anywhere other than my top ten, and that's even if they lose to Alabama in the rematch. If they win, they're definitely top five, probably top three.

Of course, my #1 All-Time Team is the 1995 Huskers. That year they beat four teams that finished the final AP poll in the top ten. If Georgia trounces Michigan State it's possible they could finish in the top ten, and if Oregon and Arkansas both win their bowl games, that'll give LSU four wins against season-ending top-ten teams as well.

However, 2011 LSU vs. 1995 Nebraska? I'm giving the win to 1995 Nebraska. The Pipeline will always be the deciding factor in that debate.

Yep. 95 husker's point margin was 38, and beat the no. 2 team in the championship game at home by 38.

Yes. 1. 95 nebraska 2. 71 nebraska 3. 01 miami and you could make a case for this year's lsu team at number 4. You also have to put into consideration that their starting unit have rarely played all at the same time. They have had a lot of suspensions and off the filed issues. In my opinion, the two best defenses in the past ten years are this year's lsu and alabama teams, you could put them up there with 09 nebraska and 01 miami's defense.

Yep. 95 husker's point margin was 38, and beat the no. 2 team in the championship game at home by 38.

We played Florida in Tempe, AZ, so it wasn't a home game for them. But we were forced to play on grass, and as everyone knows grass was the Great Equalizer for that 1995 Championship Game. ;)

We played Florida in Tempe, AZ, so it wasn't a home game for them. But we were forced to play on grass, and as everyone knows grass was the Great Equalizer for that 1995 Championship Game. ;)

Knapp your a old guy. Do you remember the old field crown height before it was lowered for the Callahan offense?

They lost to Alabama, I mean sure they lucked it out in overtime because Alabama apparently forgot to recruit a kicker. The 97 huskers kicked butt too, but lucked their way through a win in mizzouri. You don't see them mentioned in the "greatest ever." Anyone with perspective wouldn't be putting LSU there either, they're good, with an absolutely great defense. Not an especially powerful offense and survived Alabama on sheer luck that they didn't find an Alex Henery among their kickers.

On a side note, ESPN of course is trying to brand them as one of the all-time greats. They have a vested interest in stiring that pot for webpage hits and TV viewers, not to mention drumming up more viewers for the national championship game and keeping their massive investment in the SEC paying off.

Knapp your a old guy. Do you remember the old field crown height before it was lowered for the Callahan offense?

I remember the nonsense people used to accuse us of regarding that crown. Something about how we were used to playing on that big of a slope so it favored us. I'm pretty sure the crown was taken off the field when we put in the Field Turf in 1999, so that predated Callahan by quite a while.

They lost to Alabama, I mean sure they lucked it out in overtime because Alabama apparently forgot to recruit a kicker. The 97 huskers kicked butt too, but lucked their way through a win in mizzouri. You don't see them mentioned in the "greatest ever." Anyone with perspective wouldn't be putting LSU there either, they're good, with an absolutely great defense. Not an especially powerful offense and survived Alabama on sheer luck that they didn't find an Alex Henery among their kickers.

On a side note, ESPN of course is trying to brand them as one of the all-time greats. They have a vested interest in stiring that pot for webpage hits and TV viewers, not to mention drumming up more viewers for the national championship game and keeping their massive investment in the SEC paying off.

No, they beat Alabama. They didn't lose to them. They beat the #2 ranked team in the country.

No, they beat Alabama. They didn't lose to them. They beat the #2 ranked team in the country.

Must not have seen the same game I did, because Alabama beat Alabama by not having a kicker.

Must not have seen the same game I did, because Alabama beat Alabama by not having a kicker.

While this might very well be true, the fact remains that Alabama would be construed as one of the greatest ever college football teams had they won that game. LSU ranks 12th per rivals in total offense while Alabama ranks 16th per rivals in total offense. Alabama ranks #1 in total defense per rivals, and LSU ranks #2 in total defense per rivals.