DC Candidates?

why not Marvin Sanders? Last time I ask.

The rumor that I heard (no link only hear say) was that there was a college age girl that joined him on a recruiting trip. This story could be completely wrong so take it for what its worth, but if something close to this is true we would not want him back.

Your probably right, but I could forgive that to get the 2009/2010 secondary.

If 2011 has taught us anything, if this student was of the age of majority, we should be ecstatic, right?

Right?

Exciting day yesterday with lots of moving parts. Best part is that reasonable money is there for a bigger names like Stoops or Zook for example. There is a supposed 3rd pretty good guy from non BCS but not sure who it might be. As far as money goes, the rumor is at least $500,000ish pledged still trying to figure out if that's true but a good source said money would be there. Lots of talk about Co-DC/Assistant Head coach or splitting or Co-DC's, Co-Special Teams, etc to give people titles and raises. (Namely JP). MIght also allow for JP to keep RC duties. Biggest deal will be if everyone is agreeable and likes the idea. Its unclear how close or how far away everything is but if nothing else its being discussed between Bo and TO. It might not happen but at least I would feel good that there was an attempt. It shows we're thinking bigger than Nebraska traditionally does. I'm about as excited as I have been since we hired Bo with what all could happen.

Did you inadvertently let something slip about Barney there?

Exciting day yesterday with lots of moving parts. Best part is that reasonable money is there for a bigger names like Stoops or Zook for example. There is a supposed 3rd pretty good guy from non BCS but not sure who it might be. As far as money goes, the rumor is at least $500,000ish pledged still trying to figure out if that's true but a good source said money would be there. Lots of talk about Co-DC/Assistant Head coach or splitting or Co-DC's, Co-Special Teams, etc to give people titles and raises. (Namely JP). MIght also allow for JP to keep RC duties. Biggest deal will be if everyone is agreeable and likes the idea. Its unclear how close or how far away everything is but if nothing else its being discussed between Bo and TO. It might not happen but at least I would feel good that there was an attempt. It shows we're thinking bigger than Nebraska traditionally does. I'm about as excited as I have been since we hired Bo with what all could happen.

I hope you're right. As much as people get a warm & fuzzy feeling about "keeping it in-house", I think for Nebraska to get to Top 10 relevant we should be going to the outside for proven candidates at the coordinator positions. With equal talent a more senior staff will beat a junior staff 90% of the time...I think we saw that a couple of times this year, unfortunately.

Did you inadvertently let something slip about Barney there?

Not that I'm aware of. I wouldn't expect anything radical to take place on the offense.

I hope you're right. As much as people get a warm & fuzzy feeling about "keeping it in-house", I think for Nebraska to get to Top 10 relevant we should be going to the outside for proven candidates at the coordinator positions. With equal talent a more senior staff will beat a junior staff 90% of the time...I think we saw that a couple of times this year, unfortunately.

I think JP gets a move up no matter what. I think he needs to. He'll be a head coach in the next 5 years. Personally I'm fine with him solely at DC if some duties are moved around. If we end up with just JP and no splash hire which is just as strong a possibility Els will probably take over special teams. Just tough to tell who does RC. I feel really good no matter what way it ends up.

I think JP gets a move up no matter what. I think he needs to. He'll be a head coach in the next 5 years. Personally I'm fine with him solely at DC if some duties are moved around. If we end up with just JP and no splash hire which is just as strong a possibility Els will probably take over special teams. Just tough to tell who does RC. I feel really good no matter what way it ends up.

Personally (I could be wrong) I don't think the boosters will give Pelini a long enough leash to allow for a brand new DC like JP to "grow" into their new role. I would suspect the boosters are pushing hard for Pelini to shake up a so-so staff with some proven commodities.

Personally (I could be wrong) I don't think the boosters will give Pelini a long enough leash to allow for a brand new DC like JP to "grow" into their new role. I would suspect the boosters are pushing hard for Pelini to shake up a so-so staff with some proven commodities.

I don't think you know any boosters very well then. They are very much behind Bo and what ever HE wants to do. They just wanted to let him know he has options. NOt that it matters with TO in charge, but thank God most of the people writing the checks think Bo is a good coach and this season was a strong season with everything Bo was up against. I know of two guys who were pissy. One was more or less told he was welcome to discontinue his donations because he didn't know what he was talking about. He shut up and handed his check to TO. The other guy was pissed because he demanded Bo personally call him and it didn't happen. His role as a booster was also clarified. Boosters aren't running things around here like they did when SP was AD. They know it and the vast majority are fine with it.

I don't think you know any boosters very well then. They are very much behind Bo and what ever HE wants to do. They just wanted to let him know he has options. NOt that it matters with TO in charge, but thank God most of the people writing the checks think Bo is a good coach and this season was a strong season with everything Bo was up against. I know of two guys who were pissy. One was more or less told he was welcome to discontinue his donations because he didn't know what he was talking about. He shut up and handed his check to TO. The other guy was pissed because he demanded Bo personally call him and it didn't happen. His role as a booster was also clarified. Boosters aren't running things around here like they did when SP was AD. They know it and the vast majority are fine with it.

I'm sorry, but I think you're naive if you don't think there isn't a formidable percentage of boosters that would like to see Pelini upgrade his staff. Even before Carl left to take a HC job we were outcoached in our 3 losses as well as a few other games (Fresno State being one). The B1G is becoming a conference filled with some savvy veterans and very strong coordinator and position coaches. We are in danger of staying in the middle of the pack if we don't make some upgrades.

I'm sorry, but I think you're naive if you don't think there isn't a formidable percentage of boosters that would like to see Pelini upgrade his staff. Even before Carl left to take a HC job we were outcoached in our 3 losses as well as a few other games (Fresno State being one). The B1G is becoming a conference filled with some savvy veterans and very strong coordinator and position coaches. We are in danger of staying in the middle of the pack if we don't make some upgrades.

Name them.

edit; I sorry. I read that incorrectly. I never stated that they didn't state they'd prefer a Stoop or Zook or someone. I agree they would like him to upgrade if possible thats why they have rumored to have offered the money to him. But they are also very secure in the fact that JP can do the job if Bo believes it. They are not against him moving JP in that role if thats what you think. He's not on a short lease at all and you shouldn't imply that he is.

All right enough with lurking I'll chime in. I would like to see a special teams a point of emphasis in the offseason. The kick coverage has been terrible since Bo got here. If JP goes to DC and Ells gets the special teams, I hope he has the pedigree for it. While Burkhead and Abdullah spent the season fair catching it seems like the opposing returners had the whole field to run around on punts.

Also, is DA Skers one of the official "insiders" on this board?

Why do we want to get a DC? We already have a great one with Bo.

I'd rather go for a great DLine coach as our DEs haven't done squat in years. Another option would be bringing back a recruiting machine like Bill Busch.

Bo is supposed to be a head coach (meaning working with and managing all phases of the game), not defensive coordinator. That is why.

Why do we want to get a DC? We already have a great one with Bo.

I'd rather go for a great DLine coach as our DEs haven't done squat in years. Another option would be bringing back a recruiting machine like Bill Busch.

Bo is supposed to be a head coach (meaning working with and managing all phases of the game), not defensive coordinator. That is why.

Exactly, Nick Saban was a great defensive mind. But he went out and hired Kirby Smart to run his defense, smart move on his part. Bo needs to hire his Kirby Smart, someone that can run the defense will Bo runs the whole show.

All right enough with lurking I'll chime in. I would like to see a special teams a point of emphasis in the offseason. The kick coverage has been terrible since Bo got here. If JP goes to DC and Ells gets the special teams, I hope he has the pedigree for it. While Burkhead and Abdullah spent the season fair catching it seems like the opposing returners had the whole field to run around on punts.

Also, is DA Skers one of the official "insiders" on this board?

Kind of. He is part of the NCIU.

I don't buy this "proven" mantra whatsoever. There's wayyyyyy to many variables involved. What kind of synergy do they bring between the coaches, the schemes, the players and so on?

A couple of years ago UCLA brought in one of the the most "proven" OCs in cfb with N. Chow and he failed miserably. We bring in a "proven" Clownahan (Superbowl coach!) and he fails miserably. Sherman with TAM, etc, etc. It happens everywhere.

I'm fine with whoever BO chooses. "Proven" resume or not.