Cincinnati and Xavier Brawl

Cinci's coach handled this extremely well. Props to him.

He said that he is incredibly embarassed to be Cincy Head Coach. He also said that he doesn't even know who will be on the team at this point, and that he made his players take off their Cincy jerseys in the locker room since they were doing a terrible job representing the university. I can't reiterate enough how much I respect this man for how he handled this situation. I expect that he will kick 2-3 guys off the team.

I agree completely!

Oh come on you guys. It's a sports fight. What's the big deal? If this was hockey it wouldn't even merit a headline. I'm not saying I condone this sort of thing, but it just doesn't seem like it should be such a huge controversy.

Where's the minus button? Seriously? It wasn't a fight. It was a cheap shot. I don't mind physical play but it's still illegal in the sport to throw a punch. Hockey lets them fight. Basketball doesn't.

Oh come on you guys. It's a sports fight. What's the big deal? If this was hockey it wouldn't even merit a headline. I'm not saying I condone this sort of thing, but it just doesn't seem like it should be such a huge controversy.

So you also had no problem with the Palace at Auburn Hills incident? I mean, that was just a sports fight too.

Where's the minus button? Seriously? It wasn't a fight. It was a cheap shot. I don't mind physical play but it's still illegal in the sport to throw a punch. Hockey lets them fight. Basketball doesn't.

So you also had no problem with the Palace at Auburn Hills incident? I mean, that was just a sports fight too.

So if I say I don't condone this sort of thing, but it's just a sports fight and doesn't seem like it should be such a huge controversy. Then that means I am in favor of every fight that ever took place in any sporting event? Is that what the words in that post mean?

Personally, I think it should be a huge controversy. This "in you face" and you "disrespected us" attitude is going way too far. I absolutely hate the "he disrespected me" thing, what have you done that should have earned you any respect in the first place.

At the junior college game out here last night, after the game while the teams were supposedly shaking hands two players got into it, punches were thrown, and after the players were off the court, one of them left the locker room looking for the other one. IN A GIRLS GAME!

When we take thugs off the street just because they can play a sport, we are disillusioning ourselves to think they're going to change behaviors just becaues they are on a college sports team. Personally, I belived #34 for Cincinnati should be gone permantly, a guy that size throwing a sucker punch, he literally could kill someone. And the Xavier players who commented in the post game should be gone also just for actually being proud of themselves. And we can't forget the stellar contribution from the guy who came off Cincy's bench and tried to stomp on the Xavier player who was down after the sucker punch.

It just makes me want to puke watching anymore. I love college basketball, but incidents like that one really take the enjoyment out of it.

In a hockey fight all players are well padded except for their face. The bulky padding somewhat prevents full fledged swings. usually both players know the fight is on and they lock up and little damage is done. An occasional bloody nose. In basketball the players tend to be much bigger than hockey players and they have no padding. A fist from a 6'9 270 pound dude is going to do a lot of damage if it connects....especially to a guy who is just trying to separate other players and isn't expecting a punch. Leave the brawling to the MMA. If this is basketball in the 21st century our society is in trouble. This is disturbing to me because I saw the same attitude a few weeks ago from the Univ of Kentucky players.

Uh,

Hockey enforcers get tuned up pretty badly. A whole lot worse then a bloody nose.

In a hockey fight all players are well padded except for their face. The bulky padding somewhat prevents full fledged swings. usually both players know the fight is on and they lock up and little damage is done. An occasional bloody nose. In basketball the players tend to be much bigger than hockey players and they have no padding. A fist from a 6'9 270 pound dude is going to do a lot of damage if it connects....especially to a guy who is just trying to separate other players and isn't expecting a punch. Leave the brawling to the MMA. If this is basketball in the 21st century our society is in trouble. This is disturbing to me because I saw the same attitude a few weeks ago from the Univ of Kentucky players.

Uh,

Hockey enforcers get tuned up pretty badly. A whole lot worse then a bloody nose.

I said "usually". I don't watch much hockey if I can help it. I see a few highlights occasionally. Don't mind fighting but not in a skill sport.

Uh,

I said "usually". I don't watch much hockey if I can help it. I see a few highlights occasionally. Don't mind fighting but not in a skill sport.

So MMA is not a "skill" sport? :facepalm:

Watch it before saying such a ridiculous thing.

The issue of this post isn't whether hockey players get more than a bloody nose or if MMA is a "skill" sport. The one thing that chaps me about discussion boards like this is when people take issue with something out in left field and attempt to cause a thread drift. The OP started a good thread about a current event, that being the fight at yesterdays Cincinnati-Xavier basketball game. Most of the posters have made comments about the game and the stupidity of fighting. If anyone wants to discuss the relative merits of hockey or MMA in depth please feel free to start your own thread.

Uh,

It's usually a great idea to make superlative statements about something you don't know.

Hockey as a sport is WAY more violent then baskeball. You have guys running into each other full speed on ice with a stick in their hands and they still have the decency to drop the stick, pull gloves off, and shed the helmets when they get angry with each other. It's not that they're mad that someone talked crap to their bench either, it's usually retaliation for hitting someone into boards or cheap shotting a goalie or something. If the basketball players were retaliating for a body-slam mid-court and they let the two people directly involved settle it themselves, that might be a valid comparison. Different sports, WAY different rules about hitting, huge difference in the manliness of fighting.

The two sports aren't comparable unless you're playing basketball no-blood-no-foul.