Funny Sports Pictures, Vids, and Gifs

NUance

^^ I mostly thought it was funny that the ball bounced and caused that kid to fall. Then he got up and ran out like he was embarrassed. Not that it bonked the chick on the head. //But I doubt it seriously hurt her--or I wouldn't have posted.

Haha I didn't even notice that.

You'd be surprised how much damage that volleyball can do. Nebraska commit Olvia Boender gave a girl a pretty nasty concussion that sidelined the girl for awhile last year.

Played in a coed tournament many years ago where, during warmups, a guy drilled former Husker Steph Thater in the calf with a hit. She ended up with a bruise much like you'd get from a racquetball, only volleyball-sized. She played the whole tournament with it anyway, and they won.

• Fire 1

^^ I mostly thought it was funny that the ball bounced and caused that kid to fall. Then he got up and ran out like he was embarrassed. Not that it bonked the chick on the head. //But I doubt it seriously hurt her--or I wouldn't have posted.

Haha I didn't even notice that.

You'd be surprised how much damage that volleyball can do. Nebraska commit Olvia Boender gave a girl a pretty nasty concussion that sidelined the girl for awhile last year.

Played in a coed tournament many years ago where, during warmups, a guy drilled former Husker Steph Thater in the calf with a hit. She ended up with a bruise much like you'd get from a racquetball, only volleyball-sized. She played the whole tournament with it anyway, and they won.

I guess the person who posted this youtube didn't think it was quite so funny (or maybe they got grief from someone?). They pulled the video I see. Anyway, the video shows a girl spiking the ball at a highschool volleyball match. It ricocheted off another girl's head, and bounced over to a kid in the crowd walking along the side of the court causing him to fall down. (I think he stepped on the ball.) The little kid got up and ran out of the gym like he was embarrassed. That's all it was. lol

Canadian football is f**kin weird

Explanation of the rule:

Unlike American football, Canadian football holds that once a punt travels more than 10 yards downfield, the kicking team can recover the free ball and regain possession. In this way, Canadian punts are essentially just like American kickoffs.

However, in a nod to rugby, Canadian football holds that on scrimmage kicks (i.e., punts and missed field goals), the returning team can respond by immediately punting the ball back to the other team, creating a free-for-all where whichever team gets to the ball first will retain possession.

http://sports.yahoo....-194113081.html

Update: As a point of clarification, reader Eric P. sends in the following, which further explains the rules at play here:

Maybe I'm the 99,000th Canadian to email you about this so far today but here she goes. This is going to be confusing.

The kicking team cannot recover their own punt, except for the kicker and any players that were behind the kicker when he kicked. Which is usually all eleven—yes eleven—of the other players on the field. Sometimes when a team is punting into an extreme Prairie wind, they'll have an onside player behind the punter so he can run down and try recover the short punt after it hangs up in the air.

In a nod to the games rugby roots, that convention doesn't only apply to punt plays but to all plays. So, technically, a receiver could catch a pass, punt it forward, and all players that were behind him when he kicked it could try to recover it. You sometimes see that strategy on the final play of a game when the offense is down by a touchdown or less, in lieu of a Stanford band multi-lateral attempt. Or, as in this case, the punt returner could do the same. You'll notice on the video that a bunch of teammates spread out wide and behind him when he kicked it forward.

http://deadspin.com/...mply-incredible

• Fire 1