South Carolina

Sometimes people pick teams because they think they're going to win...not because they're being paid. Kind of like how sometimes running backs are able to score 38 touchdowns in a season becuase they're good, not because they're on an above average team.....its weird how the real world works out like that.

It's just too coincidental that ESPN [who we all know has a very strong tie to the SEC] all picked South Carolina. I know, I know; correlation doesn't imply causation. But the possibility is there.

I think the perceived valence of the SEC being better is just enforced way too much by ESPN and that has an effect on everything else.

How does one rationalize their thoughts not wanting Alabama in the BCS title game but then aknowledge they're a better team than Okie State? The BCS system is supposed to put the best two teams in the title game. While they don't always get it right, I believe they did get it right this year. I'd say there's a considerable distance between LSU/Bama over the rest of the top teams.

Junior:

Oh, yeah... like you, I realize that Bama and LSU are the top two teams --- but something has to be said about winning your conference... OSU, while I think they would get smoked, did win their conference, they have the same record as Bama --- and really, they deserve a shot at LSU. Again, I think Bama is better... but LSU already beat them... they had their shot. OSU would, were they to play LSu, represent the nation in the "the rest of us" against the SEC. At least that way, there is a chance that a non-SEC team wins.

As it stands, my only interest in the NC game is that LSU loses so that they cannot contend with NU '71 or NU '95 as the greatest of all time. Toward that end, I am glad that Bama is in there ... they have a much better chance than OSU would of toppling LSU.

Michigan didn't win their conference. Heck, they didn't even do well enough in their conference to make their conference championship game. Yet, they're playing in a BCS bowl while Michigan State who did at least win their division didn't. If Bama had been in any other conference, they would have won their conference. Why should they get penalized for not winning their conference and being the second best team in the country when the best team in the country who is in their conference beat them? Basically, you want to penalize a team because of their conference. Okie State would have been in that game had they not lost to lowly Iowa State. Stanford would have been in that game had they not gotten totally obliterated by Oregon.

Given everything that has transpired, the BCS would have looked like an even bigger joke than it is had they put any other team in the title game besides Alabama. The BCS stronghold is losing its luster and its power. If Bama wins this game, it basically takes off the table the biggest argument people have against a playoff: the regular season games being diminished. The biggest problem with the BCS isn't necessarily the title game. The biggest problem lies with its automatic qualifiers and beauty contest. West Virginia doesn't deserve to be in a BCS bowl, and as far as I'm concerned neither does Michigan and Va Tech. There should be no rule how many teams from a conference can be in one either. They should just have #1 play #2, #3 play #4, #5 play #6 and so forth.

i don't disagree that Alabama may be the second best team - but if this was by comittee like the NCAA tourney...I think Okie would be in there. The only thing Alabama has going for it is SEC, and they quality of their loss. But what about the quality of their wins.

Okie - 5 wins over top 25 teams, 7 wins over bowl bound teams.

Alabama - 2 wins over top 25 teams, 3 wins over bowl bound teams.

And I'm still not sold on Okie's loss being as bad as everyone made it out to be. It was an overtime loss (against a top 30 team - which isn't far off from Nebraska), in an away game - a day after one of the most tragic incidents to hit a college in years. Alabama lost at home, on prime-time, in front of over 100k.

If you're a playoff proponent, then you think you should win your way into the NC. Well, Alabama is the only one of the two that had a shot at LSU. They lost. That alone should disqualify them IMO. If the season is our playoff, then they lost weeks ago.

If you did this game like the NCAA does the tourney bubble teams (which no one has a major issue w/), Okie would be in based on the wins versus ranked opponents, the way the finished the regular season (alabama was sitting at home), and their strength of schedule. No doubt in my mind.

Let's assume it is just the SEC. There's a lot more teams in the SEC than just Bama and LSU. LSU and Bama are head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in the SEC which by your own admission oversign. If oversigning was THE reason Bama and LSU are head and shoulders above everyone else, then there'd be other teams up there with them on their pedestal this year. If oversigning was what it took to be at their level, Houston Nutt wouldn't be looking for another job right now. I have no idea who oversigns, but I do know more than just LSU and Bama do it.

No, it's not ONLY oversigning, and my little funny comment wasn't meant to imply that. There are a number of factors, which we don't have time to go into right now, but oversigning is definitely one of them. It's such a problem that there was a rather lengthy public discourse about it this summer, and the SEC implemented rules against it. You only have to look at the last several BCS champions to see if oversigning plays a role in success.

Everyone in the SEC oversigns, everyone who is good anyways. Just like everyone in the SEC cheats, if ya aint cheatin' ya aint tryin'.

Also Im worried about all you 'braska fans saying you dont have a chance. Usually when there's no chance a team wins, they win.

Unless your playing Texas <_<

Sometimes people pick teams because they think they're going to win...not because they're being paid. Kind of like how sometimes running backs are able to score 38 touchdowns in a season becuase they're good, not because they're on an above average team.....its weird how the real world works out like that.

You're a little butt hurt about all the Ball-Burkhead discussion aren't you? I don't blame you but you gotta consider this is a Husker site.

You could never be butt hurt if you've been the places I've been and seen the things I've seen :leghump:

Just to supply more fodder for the out of context quotes I will offer this; Since you are incapable of being butt hurt, my butt aches for you.

Good to know I'm not the only one around here whose farts don't make noise....

OK, now you're scaring me Badgerfan. uh uh uh uncomfortable. :nanalama

Unless my avatar is influencing you........

Everyone in the SEC oversigns, everyone who is good anyways. Just like everyone in the SEC cheats, if ya aint cheatin' ya aint tryin'.

Also Im worried about all you 'braska fans saying you dont have a chance. Usually when there's no chance a team wins, they win.

You're just witnessing the typical vicissitudes of HB...its just like Cockytalk. Opinions are mixed but give 'em a week or two and they'll be hyped about how badly they're going to beat us....

You're just witnessing the typical vicissitudes of HB...its just like Cockytalk. Opinions are mixed but give 'em a week or two and they'll be hyped about how badly they're going to beat us....

Because we are going to destroy YOU

Because we are going to destroy YOU

Unless they pound us into the dirt... but I agree, while I think we'll lose have a good chance at exploding all over them.

I'm really freaked out by USC matching up well against us, but I think we have more talent and speed and player to player we are better.

I know we'll dominate the game but they could just as easily dominate us if it happens that way...unless it doesn't.

:confuciuschuckleshuffle:ahhhhhhhh:B):cry:box:hmmph:dunno:nutz:thumbs:unsure:

I know NU fans are referencing last year's bowl apathy vs Washington, but SC has had the same problems. The last 3 years we haven't even bothered to show up. Spurrier says this year will be different but his whole career he really doesn't have a stellar bowl record 6-6 before coming here, 1-4 while here.

eta: What I'm saying is I'm excited for this game and I think we can win but I don't think its as sure as thing as a lot of NU fans seem to think it is.