Pelini's Stats

Just for fun, compare those stats to the "King" of college football, Nick Saban and his last 9 years in college coaching. All were at Bama and LSU, so nobody can claim its not fair because he wasn't at top notch programs...

1831 Points total (237 less than Bo)

in 118 games (1 less)

15.51 PPG (1.9 less)

24 losses (1 less)

2 years with 5 or more losses (2 more)

1 year giving up more than 300 points in 13 games (same)

For even more perspective, compare his first 4 years with Bama to Bo's first 4 years as Head Coach period:

Bo 38-15

Nick 43-11

That's not too shabby...of course, those 1.25 wins per year would have put a different spin on a couple of our seasons.

But, still...to be 5 games off the pace of the "pace setter" your first 4 years as a coach is nothing to shake a stick at if you ask me.

umm, Nick coahes in the SEC, not the weaker big 12. Nick also will be taking his team to two nation championship games (winning one already). Nick has also taken his team to three BCS bowls. Bo hasnt done any of these in a weaker division and weaker conference.

Bo is a decent coach, but not on the same level as Nick.

umm, Nick coahes in the SEC, not the weaker big 12. Nick also will be taking his team to two nation championship games (winning one already). Nick has also taken his team to three BCS bowls. Bo hasnt done any of these in a weaker division and weaker conference.

I agree with you that Bo doesn't deserve to be mentioned at the same level as Saban. However, if you're going to list the advantages Bo has (weaker conference, shorter resume, etc.) you should note that Saban has several, much bigger advantages himself - head coach for longer, more name recognition with recurits (deservedly so), closer to more and better recurits, oversigning, etc.

• Fire 1

+1.

People are so quick to discredit Bo's success at Nebraska without any historical context. Yes... Saint Nick Saban has won two National Championships, but look at his record with the programs he has been at.

Michigan State (34-24-1)

1995: 6-5-1

1996: 6-6

1997: 7-5

1998: 6-6

1999: 9-2

LSU (48-16)

2000: 8-4

2001: 10-3

2002: 8-5

2003: 13-1

2004: 9-3

It took Saban five years to win nine games at Michigan State. I will not compare our program to MSU in terms of historical and winning tradition, but our program was in shambles when Pelini took over. It took Saban a few years to get things rolling at LSU with markedly better athletes than what we currently have. What I am saying is that in his own right, Bo has been very successful in his first four seasons with Nebraska. He may very well never win a NC at Nebraska, but I think given the right talent and situation, he could.

• Fire 1

It took Saban five years to win nine games at Michigan State. I will not compare our program to MSU in terms of historical and winning tradition, but our program was in shambles when Pelini took over. It took Saban a few years to get things rolling at LSU with markedly better athletes than what we currently have. What I am saying is that in his own right, Bo has been very successful in his first four seasons with Nebraska. He may very well never win a NC at Nebraska, but I think given the right talent and situation, he could.

To be fair, our coach walked into a situation with a fairly humming system on offense and a defense that included the likes of Suh, Prince, among others. The previous coach had lost control of the situation and his team, but the talent level here was not really in shambles.

To be fair, our coach walked into a situation with a fairly humming system on offense and a defense that included the likes of Suh, Prince, among others. The previous coach had lost control of the situation and his team, but the talent level here was not really in shambles.

To be fair, Bo walked in the the112th ranked defense which would have ranked even worse if not for the endless garbage times we had that year. Suh, Prince, etc were only names (that only hardcore NU fans knew) until Bo showed up.

• Fire 1

Given time Bo should be able to have a top ten team, most years. Some seem to forget Bob D, also had a good group of players left over, when he took over. Hit a rough spot for a couple of years, moved some assistants duties around, turned the reins of the offense over to Tom, and the rest is history. Not saying Bo is Bob D, but has pretty much the same demeanor on the sidelines, just not as polished as a speaker :lol: . This coaching staff is still a work in progress, and with all the turnover the last couple of years, and still winning 9-10 games, I am willing to wait out the haters on here, and give Bo a lot more time.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

bshirt, I get you, Cosgrove's D was a mess. The point though, was just that we had some unreal athleticism and great talent there, not to mention a once-in-a-generation kind of player. Bo's scheme made the team difference, but it wouldn't have gotten there so quickly without the kind of talent, a lot of it young (like Prince, Hagg, those guys), that he had. It was a reclamation project in a different sense - attitude and team unity and such - but not in the 'cupboard was bare' sense.

Just for fun, compare those stats to the "King" of college football, Nick Saban and his last 9 years in college coaching. All were at Bama and LSU, so nobody can claim its not fair because he wasn't at top notch programs...

1831 Points total (237 less than Bo)

in 118 games (1 less)

15.51 PPG (1.9 less)

24 losses (1 less)

2 years with 5 or more losses (2 more)

1 year giving up more than 300 points in 13 games (same)

For even more perspective, compare his first 4 years with Bama to Bo's first 4 years as Head Coach period:

Bo 38-15

Nick 43-11

That's not too shabby...of course, those 1.25 wins per year would have put a different spin on a couple of our seasons.

But, still...to be 5 games off the pace of the "pace setter" your first 4 years as a coach is nothing to shake a stick at if you ask me.

Umm, actually, Nick has been coaching a lot longer than Bo. And, as I stated, I was only comparing first 4 years with their current teams. And, before you go bowing down to the SEC, take a look at Alabama's schedule this year...

They played a whopping 3 ranked teams this year!!! Of course, LSU part one...The others? Penn State at #24 and Arkansas at #7. They will play their 4th, obviously, next month.

Nebraska has played 4 ranked teams so far, with our 5th being next month. We played Wisconsin (9th), Michigan State (12th), Michigan (13th), and Penn State (24th). We will add #10 South Carolina to the list in the bowl.

Who had the tougher schedule this year? Might want to revisit that one.

Nobody is arguing that Saban has had the results these last few years...but since nobody thinks its fair to go back and compare Nick in his first years, I was comparing Bo's record to Nick's record over a more reasonable comparison time frame.

Also, should we compare the number of NCAA violations between the two schools? Or is that unfair to Nick?

Bottom line is, wins are wins, and people need to get over the whole worshiping the SEC mindset. Are they the best conference? Yes. Are they THAT much better? NO. Looks at Bama's schedule as proof. If the conference is so amazing, how do you only play 3 ranked teams all year? One being a non-conference matchup with a Big 10 team? Hmmm.....

Guess this is where someone comes in and says that they all have to play such amazing teams each week and they are so balanced that they beat up on each other all year and that hurts them overall...blah blah blah

Maybe I am overly sensitive to the bias since I live in the heart of it, but it is pretty amazing to me hearing fans of teams in other conferences talk in awe about the SEC. Talk about being narrow minded. Nevermind Nebraska is 19-5 or whatever it is against the SEC...

• Fire 1

bshirt, I get you, Cosgrove's D was a mess. The point though, was just that we had some unreal athleticism and great talent there, not to mention a once-in-a-generation kind of player. Bo's scheme made the team difference, but it wouldn't have gotten there so quickly without the kind of talent, a lot of it young (like Prince, Hagg, those guys), that he had. It was a reclamation project in a different sense - attitude and team unity and such - but not in the 'cupboard was bare' sense.

Yeah, you could say that "after" Bo arrived but to assume Clownahan would have developed those players if he would have stayed is wishful thinking at best, imo.

The cupboard was hardly bare when the mighty Clownahan took over either. L. Smith, A. Carricker, K. Mann, C. Ross, Z. Taylor, J. Ganz, C. Glenn, T. Peterson, B. Ruud, N, Swift, ect, ect.

here are my thoughts. it is too small a sample size to be worrying about this now because pelini is not only running the defense, he is learning how to be a head coach and everything that come with it. looking at lsu is silly because with the talent those southern schools get, most of them could be the colts. his first year here is tough to gauge because i think we are learning that callahan was not half bad at recruiting. and those are the two things that make a good coach, recruiting and coaching. i think this year showed him struggle with coaching up his players, but it is hard to say what kind of schematic problems he has (although, there is great cause for concern regarding what he allows mobile qb's do to us). i think it is an interesting conversation, but ultimately futile (which is not a criticism, we are talking sports on a message board). i will end with this, it would be hard to be reasonable and say that bo is not doing a pretty good job here. for me, his biggest problem is losing games he should not (and blowouts, but a loss is a loss). but then again, i really do not think there is any shame in losing to NW. i think BO is still trying to figure out how to get good players to reach their potential, as most coaches are, but i think he generally gives us a schematic advantage on defense.

Our team was in shambles. You are such a watsgrove and C******n defender.

Our offense humming???? Get the f#*k outta here. Our offense was TERRIBLE against anyone with a pulse.