Ohio State banned from postseason play in 2012

Nexus

Wow gives Urban Liars newly swayed recruits something to think about over the dead period. No clue how the scumbag Gene Smith still has his job at this point or for that matter his douchebag sidekick Gordon "Im glad Tressell didn't fire me" Gee.

Liar, scumbag, douchebag?

Perhaps Rex should take over the posting duties.

1. Urban Meyer is a known liar.

2. Gene Smith is scum. No clue how he still has a job

3. Gordon Gee wears clip-on bow ties = SuperDouche.

4. Rex is a very smart dog. :dunno

Someone mentioned in another thread (it got closed) that they felt bad for the kids who are there and didn't have anything to do with it, citing that everybody involved has left the program. I'd just like to point out that it still wouldn't be right to not hit tOSU with sanctions regardless of who is there and who isn't. The point of sanctions is deter any kind of 'illegal' behavior as deemed by NCAA rules. A debate over whether these rules are fair or justly applied to universities is one thing, but as everything stands now they're what people have to do deal with. If you don't apply sanctions, you're essentially saying they can break the rules as long as everybody involved is fired or leaves.

Someone mentioned in another thread (it got closed) that they felt bad for the kids who are there and didn't have anything to do with it, citing that everybody involved has left the program. I'd just like to point out that it still wouldn't be right to not hit tOSU with sanctions regardless of who is there and who isn't. The point of sanctions is deter any kind of 'illegal' behavior as deemed by NCAA rules. A debate over whether these rules are fair or justly applied to universities is one thing, but as everything stands now they're what people have to do deal with. If you don't apply sanctions, you're essentially saying they can break the rules as long as everybody involved is fired or leaves.

The NCAA really is in a catch 22 when it hands out punishment. This case and USC are prime examples of it. The people who perpetrated the acts for the most part are long gone and hardly had to pay a dime, while the guys left behind have to pay for they're transgressions. You've got to punish the program some how but post season bans have a lot of collateral damage with them. Scholies, probation, and some form of monetary punishment are probably the best way to hit the program and not affect current students. But you can only go so far with those before you border on the death penalty for a program.

I think the reason they're saying this is because had they allowed the bowl ban this year, it would have directly affected 4 out of the 6 people that were involved in the allegations. One other was already fired and still punished from coaching at all for the next five years, and only one would have gotten away with it basically. But now they're letting all but one that would have been fully affected get out of the full punishment.

The NCAA really is in a catch 22 when it hands out punishment. This case and USC are prime examples of it. The people who perpetrated the acts for the most part are long gone and hardly had to pay a dime, while the guys left behind have to pay for they're transgressions. You've got to punish the program some how but post season bans have a lot of collateral damage with them. Scholies, probation, and some form of monetary punishment are probably the best way to hit the program and not affect current students. But you can only go so far with those before you border on the death penalty for a program.

As it stands, the only person who would have escaped punishment was Terrelle Pryor. Everyone else would have been affected had the bowl ban been put this year. I include Tressel obviously because he can't coach college football anymore and was forced to resign as part of his punishment.

Came across a tweet yesterday from a sports writer (name escapes me at the moment) suggesting that the NCAA should get more creative in punishments by fining the institutions. He felt that if the NCAA started hitting schools in the wallet instead of making current players pay for failures that happened in the past (scholarship reductions, bowl bans,etc), it might make schools redefine how they operate their compliance departments. I guess the motivation would be that if you're sitting on a mountain full of athletic department $$, you'd best make sure your compliance department is on top of everything, or else the NCAA will start taking $$ from said mountain.

What's the word in Ohio Muck? How are Buckeye fans taking it?

The usual "OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING!!" overreaction.

We're going to lose all our recruits, Meyer is going to leave...blah blah blah.

Pretty much what you'd expect.

That drives me nuts to see fanbases do that, especially a school like OSU. You all will be fine. One rough season this year and then a good year next year just with no postseason. Everything's going to be fine.

You know you enjoy it. Especially on here.

What's the word in Ohio Muck? How are Buckeye fans taking it?

The usual "OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING!!" overreaction.

We're going to lose all our recruits, Meyer is going to leave...blah blah blah.

Pretty much what you'd expect.

That drives me nuts to see fanbases do that, especially a school like OSU. You all will be fine. One rough season this year and then a good year next year just with no postseason. Everything's going to be fine.

You know you enjoy it. Especially on here.

I mean, I enjoy it in the same sense that I enjoy joke based on the absurd but at the end of the day...I still think its absurd.

Not true--if the NCAA truly had the interests of the students at heart, they would allow a provision that whenever a post-season ban is levied, the kids have the option of transferring, penalty-free, within one calendar year of the penalty being levied by the NCAA. Then the kids can choose for themselves whether to stick it out with the program, or go elsewhere, all while having enough time to research options and wrap up classes and make sure that courses will transfer for credit.

Frankly, a similar provision should be made available if a head coach is fired or leaves the program--it's not fair to the kids that were recruited during regime A to suffer during regime B (like what will happen at Arizona when RRod starts getting his kids in there).

1. Urban Meyer is a known liar.

When something is 'known' it's also usually inaccurate.

2. Gene Smith is scum. No clue how he still has a job.

Smith is incompetent. That doesn't make him scum.

3. Gordon Gee wears clip-on bow ties = SuperDouche.

I can assure you that President Gee has never worn a clip on tie.

4. Rex is a very smart dog. :dunno

Which is why I was suggesting the posting duties be handed over to him.