My Take on the Game

Ronznotes

Pelini has a knack for beating teams with good defenses and average to below average offenses, which is why I feel pretty good about this game.

This game is reminiscent of the 2008 Gator Bowl. Our opponent has a better defense and an average but not great offense. We were underdogs and came away with a five point win.

If they don't then Taylor will get pummeled and will likely turn the ball over since NU is statistically the worst ball security team in the country and we will get taken behind the woodshed.

??????

You do realize this is factually incorrect, yes? But hey, don't let that stop you.

Here is my take on this game-

Spurrier is not known for winning bowls - I personally think he's probably a bit lazy and doesn't work his teams very hard. Their practice schedule seems to have been lighter than ours both at home and in Orlando. Bo likes lay offs, seems to do pretty well with extra time to prepare. Seems like we're practicing, going in full pads, etc. Advantage NU

Plus, we have a new offensive scheme - I think NU gains more from the extra practice time than SC does. Advantage NU

Overall, I think NU is more on the upswing than SC and therefore momentum puts us even with a potentially more talented SC team.

Both teams have lost a Defensive Coordinator and promoted from within. I don't think there is any doubt the loser in that situation is SC. Spurrier isn't probably quite as involved in the defense as BO. Advantage NU.

Familiarity - NU has been preparing for a 'new' team all season with the switch to the big 10. Advantage NU.

Odd weaknesses - advantage to SC in having a scrambling quarterback. NU seems to struggle dispropotionately against teams with a scrambling QB.

Team speed - TV analysts would say advantage SC. I am not as certain.

Toughness - I think I go advantage NU on this. The SEC just doesn't seem to have the games of endless pain and wearing down the opponent.

I think it comes down to the type of game - if NU never trails by more than 7, I think we'll be able to wear down and out coach SC. If NU is slow to defend the speed or if the O-line is overwhelmed early and we have to abandon the running game, we'll lose and probably lose ugly. I think we'll out scheme them, but we can't let them use their speed to change our schemes.

Only one key to the game is probably required - NU rushing for 200 yards.

NU 27 SC 20

washington says hai

Hai back. We beat the crap outta that team. The only reason we didn't beat them a second time is because we didn't want to play them in that bowl. What an insult to us to have to play them again. I'm so glad that Baylor beat them last night.

my point exactly. what assurances do you have that we "want" to play this game? after what i saw last January, i don't think any advantage can be given to NU for preparation.

It comes down to how well our OL can block their DL that happens to be the best in the country. If they don't then Taylor will get pummeled and will likely turn the ball over since NU is statistically the worst ball security team in the country and we will get taken behind the woodshed.

I hope Beck comes up with a good game plan for that DL because we are going to need to out coach USC because we don't' have the talent on the OL to match up with them.

You know what's awesome? Facts.

http://www.cfbstats....y12/sort04.html

But who cares about those when you can just make sh#t up.

Those don't count fumbles of our own that we recover. If you think that our offense has great ball security, I have some ocean front property outside of Omaha that I want to sell you. And before you say that those don't matter because they are not turnovers, they still kill drives because they put us in 2nd or 3rd and long with a QB that can't throw, therefore it still kills our drive.

Spurrier is not known for winning bowls - I personally think he's probably a bit lazy and doesn't work his teams very hard. Their practice schedule seems to have been lighter than ours both at home and in Orlando. Bo likes lay offs, seems to do pretty well with extra time to prepare. Seems like we're practicing, going in full pads, etc. Advantage NU

Plus, we have a new offensive scheme - I think NU gains more from the extra practice time than SC does. Advantage NU

Overall, I think NU is more on the upswing than SC and therefore momentum puts us even with a potentially more talented SC team.

Both teams have lost a Defensive Coordinator and promoted from within. I don't think there is any doubt the loser in that situation is SC. Spurrier isn't probably quite as involved in the defense as BO. Advantage NU.

Familiarity - NU has been preparing for a 'new' team all season with the switch to the big 10. Advantage NU.

Odd weaknesses - advantage to SC in having a scrambling quarterback. NU seems to struggle dispropotionately against teams with a scrambling QB.

Toughness - I think I go advantage NU on this. The SEC just doesn't seem to have the games of endless pain and wearing down the opponent.

I think it comes down to the type of game - if NU never trails by more than 7, I think we'll be able to wear down and out coach SC. If NU is slow to defend the speed or if the O-line is overwhelmed early and we have to abandon the running game, we'll lose and probably lose ugly. I think we'll out scheme them, but we can't let them use their speed to change our schemes.

NU 27 SC 20

washington says hai

Hai back. We beat the crap outta that team. The only reason we didn't beat them a second time is because we didn't want to play them in that bowl. What an insult to us to have to play them again. I'm so glad that Baylor beat them last night.

No. The reason we got beat in the Holiday Bowl is because we were outcoached, outplayed, our offensive line played like garbage, Taylor played treacherous and we couldn't stop Polk. I find it extremely annoying when people say that they lost a bowl game "because they didn't want to be there". You mean that a bunch of youngsters that live in Nebraska didn't want to be in sunny San Diego in late December?

It comes down to how well our OL can block their DL that happens to be the best in the country. If they don't then Taylor will get pummeled and will likely turn the ball over since NU is statistically the worst ball security team in the country and we will get taken behind the woodshed.

I hope Beck comes up with a good game plan for that DL because we are going to need to out coach USC because we don't' have the talent on the OL to match up with them.

You know what's awesome? Facts.

http://www.cfbstats....y12/sort04.html

But who cares about those when you can just make sh#t up.

Those don't count fumbles of our own that we recover. If you think that our offense has great ball security, I have some ocean front property outside of Omaha that I want to sell you. And before you say that those don't matter because they are not turnovers, they still kill drives because they put us in 2nd or 3rd and long with a QB that can't throw, therefore it still kills our drive.

But the other teams don't have those recorded either, so your point is moot and irrelevant.

i am afraid their team speed will be significant.

More on defense I suspect. Our skilled guys have speed. should be very interesting to see how well they use it to really stop us. I sure hope they miss their d-coordinator.

they have lighting quick guys on defense and this along with confusing the heck out of tm is what scares me. tm sometimes just seems like tm does what he was last told and can't remember what he was told a few games prior. (total understanding). one game the coaches say you will not last the whole year if you keep running the ball, and so he does not run it at all. next game he is told to use his backs more, and that’s all he does. then again, he is told to look off receivers and throw to the 2nd and 3rd routes and even when he sees the first route guy open, he elects to throw to 2nd and 3rd receiver.

i don't know maybe i am over analyzing it, but still, we need him to react with the right reads and do whatever he has learned throughout his time as qb, not just focus on what he was told in last week’s practice!

NU 27 SC 20

washington says hai

my point exactly. what assurances do you have that we "want" to play this game? after what i saw last January, i don't think any advantage can be given to NU for preparation.

I never got your point in the first place. Are you a Husker fan or a South Carolina fan? If you're a Husker fan then you should know the only reason we lost to Washington last year is because we had already played them. The team didn't want to be there-that was obvious. However, we WANT to be in Florida. How do I know? We haven't played them in years so it's going to be fun. The last time we played them we destroyed them-however that was a different time/different team. The reports about our practice before going to Florida and since going there have been very positive. BO has been positive and having a great time. We didn't hear those kinds of things when we went out to Washington last year. Again, depending on if you are a Husker fan or USC fan we have every chance to win this game! GBR!!

NU 27 SC 20

washington says hai

And why would they say that? It's not even a word... :ahhhhhhhh

Maybe the new defensive line coach comes in and changes the way they've been playing against mobile QBs. I don't think Shaw is up there with the likes of Robinson and Wilson and is probably not as elusive as Kain Coulter was. He will be a factor though and if he gets it going on the ground, that will definitely open up the pass. If SC can't get it going on the ground, their offense could be in for a long game.

As it stands, I see the c$%ks offense making a few plays and giving our defense problems at times, but not for the whole game. South Carolina puts up 17-20 on the Husker defense.

The matchup which will decide this game is the Husker offense vs. the Gamecock defense. Again, the same thing which applied to the Gamecock offense applies to the Husker offense as well. If the offensive line can open up holes for Rex Burkhead then we could see a very good performance by our offense. However, if the line can't generate a push forward and Rex is rendered useless for a good part of the game, then the burden falls on Taylor and the WRs. If he can make plays with his arm and the receivers can catch the ball, that will help us out a ton. Nebraska puts up anywhere between 14-24 on the Gamecock defense.

I don't see Abdullah playing a factor on kickoff returns. No points scored by special teams.

Final score: South Carolina 17 Nebraska 21