How do we fix this Nebraska team?

Not using the callahan years as a baseline. Look, we have gotten better, no doubt about it. We aren't sound in a couple areas. But, most of all, we are getting better. It is painful to look at because most people are trying to compare this team to yesteryear. If you look around the league there are only a few elite programs out there that make minimal mistakes. Watching Florida and Ohio State was a train wreck. miscues all over the place we are no different. Problem is, fans on this board hold our program to a hire standard and deservedly so. But if you look around the nation, compared to everyone else, we are in the middle of the road and improving. My "callahan reference" was to point out the difference, not a baseline.

Panic and point fingers. Do your best to out-gripe the guy posting before you.

Amen Knapplc......there are some things to fix for sure, I'll take 9 wins right now. We are light years ahead of the callahan years. Remember when Kansas hung 73 on us??? Kansas??? really? I am disappointed, but if the folks on this board had the ability to change coaches and influence decisions, we would have new coaches every time we lost a game. Sit back and let it play out.

like Notre Dame? people are calling for Kelly's head already...........but his QB's did look pathetic and they blew leads all season long.

Sorry, but those two wins were not the result of fundamentals and discipline. Fundamentals, and to a lesser extent, discipline, do not come and go on a game to game basis. If you are a fundamentaly sound football team, you are so every game. You may have a occasional breakdown, but fundamentals are something that are instilled (hopefully at a younger age) in practice, and if you have solid fundamentals, they don't come and go. As long as you continue to practice them, fundamentals stay with you. Watch teams that are solid in those two areas, and the vast majority of the time, they will be so every game. Watch LSU's defenders break down to make tackles and you'll see fundamentals, and you'll see it time after time.

I would never say they didn't want to win the game, but there have been numerous times this year where the heart and passion have been lacking on this team.

Okay, so maybe the team isn't consistently fundamentally sound, but those two and the 9 wins that we had this year had to be a product of something, how could they not be fundamentals? How is it not discipline? What was the reason that allowed us to win 9 games?

And then is it just a coincidence that, when they are fundamentally sound, like they were for the majority of those 9 wins that they physically and visually show those cues that lead us to believe the passion is there?

They won nine games DESPITE being fundamentaly UNSOUND, and incredibly UNDISCIPLINED. They won nine games because there is still a lot of talent on the field (and Braxton Miller getting knocked out of the game). They may on occasion make a tackle or catch that is technically correct, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Two issues that are huge for us, tackles and catching the ball, are largely dependent on doing it correctly fundamentals wise. I used LSU as an example on defense, watch the way they tackle, time after time, fundamentally correct, that's why they don't miss nearly as often as we do. If you watched the Rose or Fiesta bowls yesterday, think back about the receivers. How many balls did you see guys snag with their hands. They don't let the ball get into their body, now think back and see how many times you can remember one of our guys using his hands and the ball seems like it just sticks to them.

The reason coaches preach fundamentals is so that when you are tired and beat down late in the game, you don't have to think about how to do it correctly, it's automatic. Discipline maybe can be a touch more varying game to game, but still not much so. By and large, undisciplined teams play that way every game, they may make less mistakes here or there in a game, but almost always they will at some point revert back. Take a look at the Raiders as a prime example. When you're a team that incurrs that many penalties and missed assignments, you are undisciplined.

Can you win a lot of games playing that way? Sure. Sometimes talented players just make plays. But the problem is, when you are faced with a tough, late game situation against an opponent of equal talent, the team with better fundamentals and discipline is going to win the vast majority of the time.

I'd give a +1 if I had any more to give. Good argument, I just find it hard to believe that we are always fundamentally unsound. If that's the case and we won 9 games because we as a fundamentally unsound team were more fundamentally sound than the our opponents, then a lot of teams are fundamentally unsound.

Sorry, but those two wins were not the result of fundamentals and discipline. Fundamentals, and to a lesser extent, discipline, do not come and go on a game to game basis. If you are a fundamentaly sound football team, you are so every game. You may have a occasional breakdown, but fundamentals are something that are instilled (hopefully at a younger age) in practice, and if you have solid fundamentals, they don't come and go. As long as you continue to practice them, fundamentals stay with you. Watch teams that are solid in those two areas, and the vast majority of the time, they will be so every game. Watch LSU's defenders break down to make tackles and you'll see fundamentals, and you'll see it time after time.

I would never say they didn't want to win the game, but there have been numerous times this year where the heart and passion have been lacking on this team.

Okay, so maybe the team isn't consistently fundamentally sound, but those two and the 9 wins that we had this year had to be a product of something, how could they not be fundamentals? How is it not discipline? What was the reason that allowed us to win 9 games?

And then is it just a coincidence that, when they are fundamentally sound, like they were for the majority of those 9 wins that they physically and visually show those cues that lead us to believe the passion is there?

They won nine games DESPITE being fundamentaly UNSOUND, and incredibly UNDISCIPLINED. They won nine games because there is still a lot of talent on the field (and Braxton Miller getting knocked out of the game). They may on occasion make a tackle or catch that is technically correct, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Two issues that are huge for us, tackles and catching the ball, are largely dependent on doing it correctly fundamentals wise. I used LSU as an example on defense, watch the way they tackle, time after time, fundamentally correct, that's why they don't miss nearly as often as we do. If you watched the Rose or Fiesta bowls yesterday, think back about the receivers. How many balls did you see guys snag with their hands. They don't let the ball get into their body, now think back and see how many times you can remember one of our guys using his hands and the ball seems like it just sticks to them.

The reason coaches preach fundamentals is so that when you are tired and beat down late in the game, you don't have to think about how to do it correctly, it's automatic. Discipline maybe can be a touch more varying game to game, but still not much so. By and large, undisciplined teams play that way every game, they may make less mistakes here or there in a game, but almost always they will at some point revert back. Take a look at the Raiders as a prime example. When you're a team that incurrs that many penalties and missed assignments, you are undisciplined.

Can you win a lot of games playing that way? Sure. Sometimes talented players just make plays. But the problem is, when you are faced with a tough, late game situation against an opponent of equal talent, the team with better fundamentals and discipline is going to win the vast majority of the time.

I'd give a +1 if I had any more to give. Good argument, I just find it hard to believe that we are always fundamentally unsound. If that's the case and we won 9 games because we as a fundamentally unsound team were more fundamentally sound than the our opponents, then a lot of teams are fundamentally unsound.

I think that might make my head spin around and explode :ahhhhhhhh . I think in most of our wins we are the more talented team, and also, even though I might not say it very often, we do sometimes play well ourselves and make good plays. But it's when it's a game between evenly matched (talent-wise) opponents is when you'll really see the difference in fundamentals and discipline show up. Mistakes stem from poor fundamentals and discipline, letting the receiver behind us on the hail-mary is an example of a lack of both. I've enjoyed this discussion with you.

As the OP for this topic let me throw these thoughts into the discussion:

I think we can all agree that this Nebraska team needs some major improvement in certain areas going into next season. I think we can also agree that there IS talent on this team. However, over the last 4 years that talent has sometimes been overshadowed by undisciplined behavior by both the players & coaches.

We are lacking in:

1) Mental toughness from both players & coaches. (When you commit the amount of stupid penalties that Nebraska has done over the last 4 years it is not just "a lack of execution," it is a trend... and a trend that needs to be reversed.)

2) Fundamental football. (If you have a hard time blocking & tackling you are going to have a tough time winning week-in-and-week-out.)

3) Poor decision making/accuracy from the QB position. (Taylor has improved in this area from last year)

4) Player development. (While it is important that your starters play most of the game, a team must also strike a balance of building depth and developing younger players. Some Red Shirts we have used wisely, others we have not. Example of players who should have redshirted: Aaron Green, Jamal Turner, Braylon Heard.)

5) A pass rush from our defensive front four. (Our lack of pass rush comes down to one of two things or both; Either, A-we do not have enough speed from our front four, B-our scheme is set-up to where our front four is not supposed to be rushing the passer, or C-both.)

I could go on, but I will stop there for now. We can all agree there is work that needs to be done with our Cornhuskers, and things that need to be addressed on both sides of the ball. But let me ask you all this question: In order for this team as a whole to improve, which side of the ball needs more work going into next season and why? The offensive side? Or the defensive side?

Do I get my willie slapped if I answer both sides? If I have to pick one side it would be the defensive side, particularly our D line. The players are extremely slow and the scheme does not generate any pressure on passing downs. We can't afford to leave an opp QB unmolested for 5 seconds without getting a coverage sack and then give up a 10 yard plus gain when the QB finally decides to run it. But the offensive side has plenty of opportunities also. Stupid drive killing penalties would be item #1. False starts and delay of game (how do we manage so many of those in our supposedley fast paced offense?). That woud help keep us on schedule and out of 2nd and 10+ or 3rd and 15+ situations. And then the passing game needs vast improvement from everyone- QB, Receivers, and O line. I felt our run blocking improved this year but on obvious passing downs we plain suck. We got forced into way too many passing situations and that is not the type of offense we have the personnel for. We either have to get a lot more effective at preventing long yardage situations or we have replace our QB with one that is a lot more efficient at throwing. The combination we have now is killing us.

And one pet peeve I would like to see change is when the offense gets up to the line, then everyone looks to the sideline like deer in headlights. WTF is that? Get up there and act like you already have a plan and know how to play football. Drives me nuts. I say get out there and take what you want and forget about what you think the other team is going to give you. If you have to constantly adjust to what they're offering and can't enforce your will on the other team, you're only prolonging the inevitable.

copa.jpg

We need new football shoes. The old ones obviously don't protect the team enough.

I'm thinking something with multiple layer Kevlar tops. This would keep the team from shooting themselves in the foot so much.

Well, there's your problem right there. Those are soccer (futbol) shoes. Get us some real 'Murrican football shoes and we're in the Rose Bowl, baby!

copa.jpg

We need new football shoes. The old ones obviously don't protect the team enough.

I'm thinking something with multiple layer Kevlar tops. This would keep the team from shooting themselves in the foot so much.

Well, there's your problem right there. Those are soccer (futbol) shoes. Get us some real 'Murrican football shoes and we're in the Rose Bowl, baby!

I just googled adidas and these we what popped up - when I played I had 1970 era high tops