the apple and the tree

Pelini does need to control his anger, that doesn't surprise anyone. I've said before that when he loses composure so does our team. Yes, I agree kids drop the ball, fumble, dumb penalties, but IMO some of this is Bo's fault. Some people on the team almost look scared to make a mistake which is never good.

We do need to stop comparing him to Osborne though. Bo will never be as laid back as TO was. I like to have Bo as our coach and he has done great things. Do people remember when Osborne would have a successful season followed by never winning "The Big One?" He isn't involved enough, he doesn't fire up his players, yadda yadda yadda.

The sun will rise tomorrow Husker fans, and I will go on the record to say I believe we will be on the rise for years to come. No we won't win 3 NCs in a row, but I see good things coming. Take that to the bank!

I'm sick of this national perception labeling Bo as the hothead. He's no different than any other coach. Watch Brian Kelly at ND for a quarter. Dont see ESPN zooming in on him or Desmond Howard saying he would knock him out. I know most are against and/or tired of the "media hates Nebraska" thing, but seriously, for one unknown reason or another, they just seem to make a bigger deal out of Bo's "explosions"

Reading some of your posts lately just make me want to shake my head...anyways.

What you don't understand is....There are coaches across the country who could be considered hot heads because they yell and scream at the refs and are "passionate." Whatever. The difference between these coaches and Bo is....On a level of 1-10, 1 being dull and stoic, 10 losing ur mind, most coaches hang out around a 4 most of the game. If there is a bad call, they might get animated and argue the call, raising their level to 8. Within a matter of seconds, they have returned to that level 4. They are in control of their emotions and have the ability to focus on the task at hand. Bo might start out the game at 4 but with that first bad call he has skyrocketed to that level 8 or higher. He also remains at that 8 for the majority of the game. Bo lets his emotions get the better of him and effects his performance negatively.

Haven't read all the posts in this read so maybe this will seem random... That Spurrior guy that just beat Bo was known to be quite the hothead (and whiner) when he was at Florida. Not agreeing or disagreeing with any post, just providing another perspective.

No kidding! I just posted on another thread about that. In fact, he had a total 'tantrum' this year in front of the press because of some sports writer. Pretty funny stuff. I remember when he was at Florida! I used to laugh so hard at him when he turned into a '2 year old' It was hilarious. Here is a link to that article: http://belowthefoldsports.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/wednesday-whine-steve-spurrier-the-idiot/

I remember when he was at Florida! I used to laugh so hard at him when he turned into a '2 year old' It was hilarious.

Just like everyone else around the country is laughing at Bo. Funny how when Husker fans are doing the laughing its all good but when our own coach is the subject of laughter, he is just being "passionate."

• Fire 1

If Bo wins against South Carolina, he's a fiery coach who has his players' backs and his passion inspires them to great performances like this one.

If Bo loses, he's a hothead, his sideline explosions are simply the very reason his team lost, and he's brought shame and humiliation on all of Nebraska.

Bo's sideline demeanor (at least against South Carolina) is irrelevant. It's simply something his detractors can point to when he's down, but that doesn't make the criticism relevant.

And I don't know where everyone is getting this idea that Bo is seen nationally as a hothead who is giving Nebraska a bad reputation. To those of you who believe that - where do you live? In Nebraska? Because nowhere else I've been recently brings that up when they talk about Nebraska football.

Bo's sideline demeanor (at least against South Carolina) is irrelevant. It's simply something his detractors can point to when he's down, but that doesn't make the criticism relevant.

It is very relevant. Bo was more worried about arguing calls (specifically that bogus PI call) than he was actually coaching the game. His demeanor in the second half of the USC game definitely had an effect on the outcome IMO. When your coach doesn't even know what is going on in the game because he is more worried about dropping F Bombs on the ref, that is a problem.

And I don't know where everyone is getting this idea that Bo is seen nationally as a hothead who is giving Nebraska a bad reputation. To those of you who believe that - where do you live? In Nebraska? Because nowhere else I've been recently brings that up when they talk about Nebraska football.

You must not get out much or watch games on TV ever. Bo Pelini is not liked or respected amongst the college football world, especially the fans. Go to about any other B1G or Big 12 message board and ask for yourself. Posts after the game from USC fans themselves stated this exact thing.

I understand why he gets pissed, some of those calls are f*cking awful. The pass interference call after the Fonzie/AJ donnybrook, was completely.

But, this isn't hockey and getting uber pissed, getting in fights aren't always a motivator for the team. More often than not, they are detrimental, and this should have been realized sooner as opposed to later...

I support Bo for the most part, but I agree with the original poster and several others that the teams take on the persona of the coach to a certain extent. We have witnessed repeatedly that Bo lets things get to him when the pressure is on, and that he loses his composure as a result. It's not surprising that the players make mental errors when they see their coach going nuts on the sideline. Sure, Bo and the coaches can't execute for the players, but it's also a little hypocritical to expect them to maintain their focus when faced with adversity when the HC is incapable of doing the same.

Does Bo, or anyone on the board, think that screaming explatives at the referee for the next 5 minutes after a bad call is going to positively influence the game and future calls? I am not saying that Bo's hothead persona (which is most definitely a reputation he has outside of Husker nation) single handedly results in losses, but it does contribute to the mistakes that are made.

With all that said, I think Bo has already made many positive steps with this program (though not 'excellence in every area'...). To take the next steps he needs to mature a bit as a coach and realize that his passion is good in short bursts and can be an excellent motivator for players when used at the appropriate times, but when it's over the top (as it is now) it does nothing good for him or the team. I think he will learn this sooner than later, and hope that TO and the boosters aren't as reactionary as many posters here who call for his head after every loss so that he becomes the coach to lead NU back to national championship contention.

It is very relevant. Bo was more worried about arguing calls (specifically that bogus PI call) than he was actually coaching the game. His demeanor in the second half of the USC game definitely had an effect on the outcome IMO. When your coach doesn't even know what is going on in the game because he is more worried about dropping F Bombs on the ref, that is a problem.

You must not get out much or watch games on TV ever. Bo Pelini is not liked or respected amongst the college football world, especially the fans. Go to about any other B1G or Big 12 message board and ask for yourself. Posts after the game from USC fans themselves stated this exact thing.

When I try to assess what fans think of our program, I tend to exclude fans of teams we play against. Rival fans always find something to dislike about their opponent, especially if something comes up during the one game against their team, like Dennard taking a swing or Bo yelling at a ref.

Out here in PAC 12 country, I've never heard a single fan bring up Bo's temper. Not once. Not even when we play Washington. Out here in Oregon, they complain about Mike Stoops' temper. All the damn time. You know why? Because they don't like him or Arizona to begin with. They target his temper because that's what's there to target. If it were Mangino, they'd target his weight. If it were Kiffin or Neuheisel, they'd target their smugness. If it was Harbaugh, they'd target HIS temper. They're always going to find something.

Anyways, since you ignored the question, I'm assuming you live inside of Nebraska, where every talk radio show, newspaper, and local TV show is talking about Bo's outbursts. I don't live in Nebraska. Out here in the rest of the world, nobody - and I mean, NOBODY - is talking about Bo Pelini's temper.

Are people really going to sit around and say that Bo Pelini's not respected by the college football world a few weeks after his name was brought up for the Ohio State and Penn State jobs? A year after the Miami job? You honestly think that with him winning 9-10 games a year at a program without too many built-in advantages, and with his team performing well academically and staying out of trouble off the field, that he doesn't command a fair amount of respect from coaches, ADs and parents of recruits all over the country?

You want to measure how much people respect Bo Pelini? He just hired a guy from our newly minted divisional rival by giving him - wait for it - the exact same position he had at Iowa. That's respect.

• Fire 4

This whole thread is total horsesh*t.

The vast majority of cfb fans couldn't care less how PC their HC is. "Winning" is what 99.99% of the evaluation of a HC is all about. Bo runs the table for a NC and nobody, absolutely NOBODY is going to give one rat's ass how butthurt the tree-huggers are.

• Fire 3

This whole thread is total horsesh*t.

The vast majority of cfb fans couldn't care less how PC their HC is. "Winning" is what 99.99% of the evaluation of a HC is all about. Bo runs the table for a NC and nobody, absolutely NOBODY is going to give one rat's ass how butthurt the tree-huggers are.

If Bo took NU to the championship game, you're right -- no one would be complaining about Bo's sideline antics. But instead we are dealing with another season where we had a legitimate chance to win but the head coach and team imploded, leading to another disappointing loss to end the season. Some people (myself included) think that Bo's temper impedes his ability to win. So do you think that Bo's attitude has NO EFFECT on the results on the field? What about recruiting... do you think national TV coverage of him unleashing his fury on Martinez helped and/or had no effect on recruiting?

Also, I would imagine that many fans and certainly university officials would have a much different evaluation of the coach if his players were constantly getting arrested or failing to qualify academically, regardless of what the coach's winning % is. Luckily Bo is taking care of this aspect, save for a few exceptions (e.g. Caputo), so if he takes care of the winning this isn't an issue.

When I try to assess what fans think of our program, I tend to exclude fans of teams we play against. Rival fans always find something to dislike about their opponent, especially if something comes up during the one game against their team, like Dennard taking a swing or Bo yelling at a ref.

Out here in PAC 12 country, I've never heard a single fan bring up Bo's temper. Not once. Not even when we play Washington. Out here in Oregon, they complain about Mike Stoops' temper. All the damn time. You know why? Because they don't like him or Arizona to begin with. They target his temper because that's what's there to target. If it were Mangino, they'd target his weight. If it were Kiffin or Neuheisel, they'd target their smugness. If it was Harbaugh, they'd target HIS temper. They're always going to find something.

Anyways, since you ignored the question, I'm assuming you live inside of Nebraska, where every talk radio show, newspaper, and local TV show is talking about Bo's outbursts. I don't live in Nebraska. Out here in the rest of the world, nobody - and I mean, NOBODY - is talking about Bo Pelini's temper.

Are people really going to sit around and say that Bo Pelini's not respected by the college football world a few weeks after his name was brought up for the Ohio State and Penn State jobs? A year after the Miami job? You honestly think that with him winning 9-10 games a year at a program without too many built-in advantages, and with his team performing well academically and staying out of trouble off the field, that he doesn't command a fair amount of respect from coaches, ADs and parents of recruits all over the country?

You want to measure how much people respect Bo Pelini? He just hired a guy from our newly minted divisional rival by giving him - wait for it - the exact same position he had at Iowa. That's respect.

100 percent correct