Why I am Terrified About Next Year

Let me make this easy for all of you. Did any of you watch this season? Okay, now remember this season. Now multiply that season times the next 2 seasons and WHAMMO! You now know what to expect for the next two years at Nebraska. Atleast the next two years. We'll see after that. As long as Bo continues to hire all his high school buddies for assistants, and Taylor Martinez is under center.........9 wins is what you get. Ohio State will beat us in their house. Michigan will take us behind the woodshed again. Wisconsin will still have a hell of a team and then you can expect to lose to somebody that you never dreamed we would lose to because this team clearly doesn't have the motivation or focus it takes to beat those sad ass teams into the dirt.

Expectations folks. They've got to change. Nebraska it not "The Nebraska" anymore. Colin Cowherd says it best. The days of these small town midwestern teams dominating is over. The fact that a University in Lincoln Nebraska was among the most dominant programs ever is absolutely miraculous. You can't lose that momentum once you get it. The last ten years of Nebraska football has driven this program too far into the realms of mediocrity. It's so so hard to climb back out when your competing against the SEC, U of Southern Cal, and traditional powers like Ohio State and Michigan. Then you look at all the teams that are rebuilding with new coaches and they are all flying right past us.

9 wins folks. 9. Get comfortable with that number. It's a good year. Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

On a side note. Carl Nicks doesn't even claim Nebraska on his gametime introduction. He says the name of the Junior College he went to. Talk about a slap in the face.

Wow....why do you even watch the games since you claim it's all hopeless? Also, I say BS to Michigan steamrolling us next year. Especially at Lincoln.

If you're too big of a stud to tolerate only 9 or 10 wins then simply don't attend or watch the games anymore. Somehow HuskerNation will get over it.

• Fire 1

Let me make this easy for all of you. Did any of you watch this season? Okay, now remember this season. Now multiply that season times the next 2 seasons and WHAMMO! You now know what to expect for the next two years at Nebraska. Atleast the next two years. We'll see after that. As long as Bo continues to hire all his high school buddies for assistants, and Taylor Martinez is under center.........9 wins is what you get. Ohio State will beat us in their house. Michigan will take us behind the woodshed again. Wisconsin will still have a hell of a team and then you can expect to lose to somebody that you never dreamed we would lose to because this team clearly doesn't have the motivation or focus it takes to beat those sad ass teams into the dirt.

Expectations folks. They've got to change. Nebraska it not "The Nebraska" anymore. Colin Cowherd says it best. The days of these small town midwestern teams dominating is over. The fact that a University in Lincoln Nebraska was among the most dominant programs ever is absolutely miraculous. You can't lose that momentum once you get it. The last ten years of Nebraska football has driven this program too far into the realms of mediocrity. It's so so hard to climb back out when your competing against the SEC, U of Southern Cal, and traditional powers like Ohio State and Michigan. Then you look at all the teams that are rebuilding with new coaches and they are all flying right past us.

9 wins folks. 9. Get comfortable with that number. It's a good year. Nebraska will have good 9 win seasons.

On a side note. Carl Nicks doesn't even claim Nebraska on his gametime introduction. He says the name of the Junior College he went to. Talk about a slap in the face.

That guy hates the Huskers. I remember hearing him diss them a long time ago. He went on and on about how he hated the option and was so glad the option was gone. How it didn't prepare players for the NFL. What a crock of crap. So, who cares what he says-I sure as heck don't.

Who is Carl Nicks again?

• Fire 2

1. Nebraska's defense was disappointing this year and loses its 3 best players
  2. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt.
  3. The offense is built on a running QB that rarely scrambles from the pocket.
  4. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.
  5. Penalties and turnovers haven't improved in years.

1. Nebraska's defense was disappointing this year and loses its 3 best players-However, just like the way Fonzie, David and Crick replaced those boys before them who were our best players, there will be players that will step up and move into those positions. Come their senior years, we'll be lamenting about how we will be losing those 'best players' and then some other really good players will move into those positions. :)
  2. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt-This concerns me more than anything else. I just do not understand why those boys weren't played. Especially when the game was won or we were losing so poorly! We might've even scored or kept the other team from scoring had some other players been given an opportunity to play.
  3. The offense is built on a running QB that rarely scrambles from the pocket-Taylor wasn't the problem this year-it was the O Line. Taylor probably played some of the best ball he's played this year since he came here. I was impressed with his leadership and game management. We saw none of that last year.
  4. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.-They weren't the best but they have potential. I'm looking forward to Ameer getting better each year.
  5. Penalties and turnovers haven't improved in years.-Here are the stats from 2010: FUMBLES-LOST.........45-16; PENALTIES-YARDS.............AVERAGE PER GAME: 70.9 Here are the stats from 2011: FUMBLES LOST: 32-11; PENALTIES-YARDS.....AVERAGE PER GAME: 52.9. So actually, we have improved considerably since last year.

• Fire 3

Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit this but the name Carl Nicks means absolutely nothing to me. I'll be the first to admit I was somewhat of a fairweather fan during the BC years but I did pay attention a little bit and I don't recall that name at all. I really don't care if he disses NU or not because in my book he's a nobody.

The thing that terrifies me about our program is actually 2 things I heard after the bowl game and both came from what I consider a credible inside source. 1- Taylor spent most or all of his spare time with his girlfriend and apparently did not socialize with his teammates. 2- A player claimed that it is a widely held belief on the team that you're either one of Bo's guys (and you play) or you're not (and don't get a fair chance). I am one person removed from this information so I realize it's not gospel but coupled with all the pessimistic talk on these boards about Bo's doghouse and not developing talent and the numerous times I feel this team has lacked any chemistry and has failed to play hard for the guy next to them, well it really has me concerned. I am still solidly a Bo supporter but I feel I may be drifting over to the darkside if this team doesn't start to prove things otherwise.

The thing about Taylor really doesn't surprise me as he has never struck me as a team leader or even very concerned about more than himself. But it is very worrisome if he won't grow into the leadership role the QB position requires and we're stuck with him because Bo is too enamored with him for 2 more years. I really don't want to turn in to another negative Nelly but it seems like it's happening.

Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit this but the name Carl Nicks means absolutely nothing to me. I'll be the first to admit I was somewhat of a fairweather fan during the BC years but I did pay attention a little bit and I don't recall that name at all. I really don't care if he disses NU or not because in my book he's a nobody.

isn't he the player that got banned from pro-try outs his senior year because of something stupid he did and then tried to make nice with the coaches several years back????????

The thing that terrifies me about our program is actually 2 things I heard after the bowl game and both came from what I consider a credible inside source. 1- Taylor spent most or all of his spare time with his girlfriend and apparently did not socialize with his teammates. 2- A player claimed that it is a widely held belief on the team that you're either one of Bo's guys (and you play) or you're not (and don't get a fair chance). I am one person removed from this information so I realize it's not gospel but coupled with all the pessimistic talk on these boards about Bo's doghouse and not developing talent and the numerous times I feel this team has lacked any chemistry and has failed to play hard for the guy next to them, well it really has me concerned. I am still solidly a Bo supporter but I feel I may be drifting over to the darkside if this team doesn't start to prove things otherwise.

The thing about Taylor really doesn't surprise me as he has never struck me as a team leader or even very concerned about more than himself. But it is very worrisome if he won't grow into the leadership role the QB position requires and we're stuck with him because Bo is too enamored with him for 2 more years. I really don't want to turn in to another negative Nelly but it seems like it's happening.

After the game, does it really matter what Taylor did. The season over. Myself I would rather spend time with my family/friends or GF also.

I live up in Oregon and they had coverage of the Ducks coming home from the Rose bowl. their was only a handful of coaches/player that got of the bus. All the rest left with friend/family or whatever. So I don't see it as a big deal.

But I'm sure several on here will make it a big deal.

2. Very little development of backup players. Starters seemed to play even when hurt.
  4. Special teams stink. Nebraska has a great kicker, but all other aspects are below average.

This alone is why you should be worried about next season.

This alone is why you should be worried about next season.

If you watched a game at all this year, you would know that realistically that is not true.

Ok. I'm gonna compare 2010 to 2011.

1a. 2010 we had a fairly good outlook on the DL and LB spots. We only lost Pierre Allen (not a huge blow). We were getting Compton and Fisher back who were injured most of 2010. But the secondary took 3-4 huge hits, Prince, Eric, Dejon, and Rickey.

1b. 2011, we lose Crick and Moore on the interior, we got reps to Thaddeus, Rome and Guy. Steinkuhler coming back helps. Carter, Meredith, Martin, Williams, and Ankrah, who knows maybe one of them will see time in the inside as well. DL doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look much better than last year. LB is the big question mark, Compton should be good next year, one would hope Fisher can improve greatly. But you still need someone to step up, maybe Santos? or Rose? or Anderson? Secondary will be better, how much better remains to be seen. We played a lot of guys in the secondary this year and plenty have game experience, P.J., Courtney, Stafford, Evans, Green, Bapiste, Blatchford, Dean, Jackson, Cooper, Bell. They won't all start, but more than likely seen playing time next year, hopefully Charles can join them soon.

2a. We didn't bring up too many new players last year, with the exception of Ciante Evans, and Quincy Enunwa. We really didn't develop in the incoming freshman class too much.

2b. Offensively we played 7 freshmans this year, 5 of which were true freshmens. Defensively we played 8 players who were new to the Nebraska defense. Two were JUCO transfers.

3a. Last year Shawn Watson was in charge of the offense, and Taylor had only been practicing the QB spot for a few weeks before fall camp started. He played on the practice squad the year he was recruited as a free safety.

3b. This year Tim Beck is running the offense, and i believe he even said that Taylor was going to spend more time in the pocket, passing the ball. I remember him saying the Taylor was not going to run as much this year, that burden would be carried by Burkhead and whoever the second string back would be. Our offense isn't setup for a running QB entirely, its more of a dual threat QB offense. It is meant for a QB that run and pass. We know Taylor can run (even though his timing for pitching the ball is off), Taylor has a good arm (just not very accurate past 15-20 yards).

4a. Last year we had Adi Kunalic who pretty much broke the record for touchbacks in a single season.

4b. This year we don't have the luxury of booting it 10 yards deep into the endzone. As painful as it is to watch a speedy returner take the ball 20-40 yards before being tackled. J.P. or whoever the Special Teams coach is needs to really get after his guys to stay in their lanes and tackle.

Penalties have gone down, slightly. Don't make the mistake of the Capital One bowl's penalties speak for the entire season. They really haven't been that bad. Turnovers, c'mon, we had over 40 turnovers last year, this year we didn't come close. It's still a bug-a-boo, but saying it hasn't improved is a gross misconception.

Who cares....?Honestly. This is the thing to do and I think it makes them all look like ignorant children when they say their high school or JC. This has been going on for years so they can all stop trying make a statement. Didn't Pelini tell him to take a hike because he was a punk?

For all those talking about Carl Nicks and "he's a nobody" or "he's a punk"....really? He was certainly far from a nobody, he was a very talented player, he just had the unfortunate situation of playing on one of the worst teams in Nebraska history...he was drafted in the 5th round by the Saints and, since 2010, has been the starter at RG for them, and I think he made the Pro Bowl either last year or this year. so he's a great player, who had a lot of talent, just underutilized.

as for his maturity, yes, Pelini banned him from the Pro Day that year because of his immaturity (I think he got a DUI not long before that), which angered him. However, back in 2010 (Article here: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/04/new_orleans_saints_carl_nicks.html) he apologized to Pelini and Osborne for his bad behavior during his Nebraska career. So he's obviously man enough to admit he was a couch potato in college....but it looks like Pelini's discipline only made him work 10x harder.

Sorry, it just frustrates me to see the fans on HuskerBoard bash the guy because he doesn't say "University of Nebraska" on his introduction in the NFL...he's far from a talentless hack or a punk who hates the team....