NU's 2012 schedule with final Sagarin rankings

knapplc

Here's our 2012 schedule, with their ranking and SOS (in parentheses) as determined by Jeff Sagarin, BCS numbers guru.

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Arkansas State - 67 (124)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

We have one spot to fill on the schedule, September 22nd, a TBA date right now. Likely it'll be some schlub team.

I would say our toughest game out of the non-conference schedule is against Arkansas State. I wouldn't have said this at the beginning of the year, but with Gus Malzahn as their new head coach, our secondary could have some trouble. I still like us to win that game, but it will be close. I see us easily beating Southern Miss and UCLA.

I haven't had enough time yet to evaluate the depth charts and rosters for the Big Ten teams next year, so I will hold off on my "guesstimate" for the conference games at a later date.

Here's our 2012 schedule, with their ranking and SOS (in parentheses) as determined by Jeff Sagarin, BCS numbers guru.

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

We have one spot to fill on the schedule, September 22nd, a TBA date right now. Likely it'll be some schlub team.

Nah let's fill it with a quality opponent(if any left). I don't like padding non conference schedules then get demolished in conference play against better teams like 2011. Big marquee non conference teams will also help with recruiting and bring together the team earlier in the year.

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

My bet, Wyoming comes to Lincoln.

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

My bet, Wyoming comes to Lincoln.

Wyoming is already coming to Lincoln August 31st, 2013 and again September 17th, 2016 as part of our original 2 &1 agreement.

Ark State is by no means the toughest team on our non-con. UCLA should be tough, especially out in Los Angeles, and Southern Miss should be better than Ark State, despite the fact that they lose a lot of talent on defense.

Gus Malzahn may be a good coach, but he's still going to have to play us with the players Ark State had before. He's not a miracle worker.

• Fire 1

Ark State is by no means the toughest team on our non-con. UCLA should be tough, especially out in Los Angeles, and Southern Miss should be better than Ark State, despite the fact that they lose a lot of talent on defense.

Gus Malzahn may be a good coach, but he's still going to have to play us with the players Ark State had before. He's not a miracle worker.

I agree that he is not a miracle worker. It helps us that all three schools will be starting the year with new head coaches. I don't know what it is, but UCLA did not impress me at all this year, and their new head coach Jim Mora Jr. isn't exactly a miracle worker either. Southern Miss has a lot of speed, but we are their first game, so I think our defense has the edge there.

I think Gus Malzahn runs a good offensive scheme, and he will find a way to test our secondary. I see the Huskers winning all three of our opening games, I just think Arkansas State presents more problems for us than UCLA and Southern Miss, but I have been wrong before.

Are there any rumblings about who our 4th non-conference game will be against?

Back in August Jamrog said 6-8 weeks they would announce the fillers for 2012 and 2014. Talks must have fell through?

I remember there being an announcement that they would finalize the schedule, but I forget when that statement was made and what the time frame was.

Are there any rumblings about who our 4th non-conference game will be against?

Southern Miss - 31 (28)

UCLA - 66 (16)

Wisconsin - 8 (44)

Ohio State - 49 (30)

Northwestern - 58 (46)

Michigan - 11 (40)

Michigan State - 18 (38)

Penn State - 28 (31)

Minnesota - 88 (17)

Iowa - 45 (39)

I think it's Washington. Part of that B1G-Pac12 alliance or whatever.