For any fitness fanatics on this message board

The diet bit that you mention is a great point that is often neglected when discussing general fitness. A lot of people want to lose weight and/or tone up and think that by running, doing crunches, and other gym exercises for an hour a few days a week, they'll reach their goal. Well, while you may add muscle, diet is really where its at. I follow an intermittent fasting regimen that works for me, but any incremental improvements that you make to your diet can have an excellent effect on your overall health and body.

I have never done CF and I don't think I will. I have a routine that was given to me from a trainer and pro bodybuilder that I met through a friend and it has worked great. He told me that a person should only do about 20 mins of cardio, 3x a week and no more as it will start doing more harm then good. He said that going more then 20 mins will start having a reverse affect on your heart, kinda like lifting for a long period of time and your muscles can't take anymore cause of the acid build-up.

I know this isn't necessarily how you meant this but I had a personal chuckle with this comment. My father has been a major motivator for me in staying in shape. This is because he has always been the exact opposite. He is extremely over weight and has had health problems because of it. He never exercised his entire life and is now 78 years old and has problems getting around...etc. I want to be like my father in so many ways but physically is not one of them.

I remember a few years ago him sitting around with a group of people who really got into running. These people ran multiple marathons each year. All of a sudden he starts asking them if runners actually live longer...etc. He was implying that them exercising was ridiculous and really wasn't making them any healthier. They all just looked at him in amazement.

I understand what you are saying and the jury is really out on your statement. But, it reminded me of this moment.

I've been doing the men's fitness strength workout for a while. http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/no-plateau-workout. It has 4 workouts based around the main lifts- bench press, shoulder press, squat and deadlift and uses the 1/2 + 1 program method. The workouts are well thought out and the assistant exercises are important to do. You can gain 5 lbs on bench and shoulder press and 10 lbs squat and deadlift each cycle. Each workout can be completed within an hour. I put everything into a spreadsheet and it takes about 5 minutes to put together the week's workout sheet. A friend gained a lot of strength doing the 5 x 5 strong lifts program which is easier programming and is popular. He's on the no plateau workout now just for a change. I used to not follow any kind of program and just did some general lifting. I think following a workout like this is better since you know that you can gain strength and how long it will take. In other words you know that the time you spend in the gym will produce results. Diet and sleep are just as important as the workouts.

It's important to have good form when squatting or deadlifting to avoid injury. "Basic Barbell Training" by Mark Rippetoe is a good starting point. Here is a good set of videos that explain how to bench press with good form which has helps avoid shoulder pain. http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-bench-parts1-7/.

Anyone having knee problems while running should check out chi running http://www.chirunning.com/ If you plan on running a lot I would recommend finding a running shoe store that can perform a gait analysis and get you into the right shoes. It makes a big difference.

I have never done CF and I don't think I will. I have a routine that was given to me from a trainer and pro bodybuilder that I met through a friend and it has worked great. He told me that a person should only do about 20 mins of cardio, 3x a week and no more as it will start doing more harm then good. He said that going more then 20 mins will start having a reverse affect on your heart, kinda like lifting for a long period of time and your muscles can't take anymore cause of the acid build-up.

I know this isn't necessarily how you meant this but I had a personal chuckle with this comment. My father has been a major motivator for me in staying in shape. This is because he has always been the exact opposite. He is extremely over weight and has had health problems because of it. He never exercised his entire life and is now 78 years old and has problems getting around...etc. I want to be like my father in so many ways but physically is not one of them.

I remember a few years ago him sitting around with a group of people who really got into running. These people ran multiple marathons each year. All of a sudden he starts asking them if runners actually live longer...etc. He was implying that them exercising was ridiculous and really wasn't making them any healthier. They all just looked at him in amazement.

I understand what you are saying and the jury is really out on your statement. But, it reminded me of this moment.

I endorse the "don't run more than twenty minutes" mentality. As much as you're improving your cardiovascular fitness and burning calories, it really does start eating into your muscle and doesn't really tone or shape your body very much. The picture explains it all:

marathoner-vs-sprinter-female.jpg

I fully endorse HIIT and sprint intervals.

I've been doing the men's fitness strength workout for a while. http://www.mensfitne...plateau-workout. It has 4 workouts based around the main lifts- bench press, shoulder press, squat and deadlift and uses the 1/2 + 1 program method. The workouts are well thought out and the assistant exercises are important to do. You can gain 5 lbs on bench and shoulder press and 10 lbs squat and deadlift each cycle. Each workout can be completed within an hour. I put everything into a spreadsheet and it takes about 5 minutes to put together the week's workout sheet. A friend gained a lot of strength doing the 5 x 5 strong lifts program which is easier programming and is popular. He's on the no plateau workout now just for a change. I used to not follow any kind of program and just did some general lifting. I think following a workout like this is better since you know that you can gain strength and how long it will take. In other words you know that the time you spend in the gym will produce results. Diet and sleep are just as important as the workouts.

It's important to have good form when squatting or deadlifting to avoid injury. "Basic Barbell Training" by Mark Rippetoe is a good starting point. Here is a good set of videos that explain how to bench press with good form which has helps avoid shoulder pain. http://train.eliteft...bench-parts1-7/.

Anyone having knee problems while running should check out chi running http://www.chirunning.com/ If you plan on running a lot I would recommend finding a running shoe store that can perform a gait analysis and get you into the right shoes. It makes a big difference.

Rippetoe is the man. I definitely endorse his "Starting Strength" to anyone just getting into weightlifting. You can preview, like, half the book on Amazon. He also has a lot of videos on Youtube where he show and critiques form. Good stuff.

This is the link to the strength standards: https://docs.google.com/a/park.edu/viewer?a=v&q=cache:TyenuWmm800J:startingstrength.com/files/standards.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShGZZwC2zem5czIEOPmntPlYaJLlbTcvUPq587bzErthC96dDLRYO6k16B_uqenpuwHFzdGXIbGEp2bJimr0vjyMqGwlY6SxsCJaj3fTDf3qwKi3oKSycGBkVeaEc7Z-Hp1eY_F&sig=AHIEtbQXESRhHl3AOePMJRTwZmpoGGWPRw

I've been doing the men's fitness strength workout for a while. http://www.mensfitne...plateau-workout. It has 4 workouts based around the main lifts- bench press, shoulder press, squat and deadlift and uses the 1/2 + 1 program method. The workouts are well thought out and the assistant exercises are important to do. You can gain 5 lbs on bench and shoulder press and 10 lbs squat and deadlift each cycle. Each workout can be completed within an hour. I put everything into a spreadsheet and it takes about 5 minutes to put together the week's workout sheet. A friend gained a lot of strength doing the 5 x 5 strong lifts program which is easier programming and is popular. He's on the no plateau workout now just for a change. I used to not follow any kind of program and just did some general lifting. I think following a workout like this is better since you know that you can gain strength and how long it will take. In other words you know that the time you spend in the gym will produce results. Diet and sleep are just as important as the workouts.

It's important to have good form when squatting or deadlifting to avoid injury. "Basic Barbell Training" by Mark Rippetoe is a good starting point. Here is a good set of videos that explain how to bench press with good form which has helps avoid shoulder pain. http://train.eliteft...bench-parts1-7/.

Rippetoe is the man. I definitely endorse his "Starting Strength" to anyone just getting into weightlifting. You can preview, like, half the book on Amazon. He also has a lot of videos on Youtube where he show and critiques form. Good stuff.

This is the link to the strength standards: https://docs.google....MJRTwZmpoGGWPRw

Form is so important on a lot of the lifts to avoid injury. Some of the things I see in the gym are scary. Since I work out at a gym at work I usually correct people's form if it is too bad and I think they might hurt themselves. Even someone that used to lift competitively in high school had shockingly bad deadlift form. I know Rippetoe said he stopped going to high school meets because he got so discouraged by the horrendous form that he saw. Squatting with bad form can definitely trash your knees. Squatting with good form makes my knees feel better. I have a stretched PCL so I need to strengthen my quad to compensate. I wouldn't use risk of injury as an excuse to not do these lifts. It's worth the time to read up on how to lift properly and and watch videos on the internet to learn proper technique and form. I used to get someone to take videos with my phone to check my squat and deadlift form. Exercises such as squat and deadlift are very rewarding and can help you avoid injuring your back.

I don't have the "Basic Barbell Training" in front of me but instead of Cat I-V, he called the categories un-trained, novice, intermediate, advanced and elite. Less then 1% of population achieve elite level. I'm gettting back into lifting but I was at intermediate to advanced level on all of my lifts which I thought was pretty good for an old fart.

Since I was talking about running shoes and lifting weights I should probably mention something important. You shouldn't wear running shoes while squatting or deadlifting. Go barefoot or get some shoes like Chuck Taylors that don't have a lot of padding or thick cushy soles.

Completely agree with this. Do not skimp on shoes.

It's not just the price or quality of the shoe. The best thing to do is match your body to a running shoe with a gait analysis. The store I went to videotapes you running on a treadmill with different shoes and they can figure out the best shoe for you.

That is part of what I meant as "don't skimp". Meaning, don't skimp on anything pertaining to having the right shoe. There is a big difference in people's feet and how they run. Various shoes fit and function differently and that affects all of your joints from your ankles all the way up your body. This could mean you have to spend more money on shoes but it might not. BUT, don't let price be the deciding factor in your decision.

With all due respect, i know a person who ran 2 miles 5 days a week and died of a heart attack at 32 years old. No joke. My grandma smoke non-filter cigarettes, pack a day, since she was 19, and, up until she started having major health issues at the age of 82, she could go out and garden for hours on a 100 degree afternoon. I think this kind of thing depends more on who you are.

With all due respect, i know a person who ran 2 miles 5 days a week and died of a heart attack at 32 years old. No joke. My grandma smoke non-filter cigarettes, pack a day, since she was 19, and, up until she started having major health issues at the age of 82, she could go out and garden for hours on a 100 degree afternoon. I think this kind of thing depends more on who you are.

That's about like saying on a hot day that global warming is real or on a cold day claiming it's fake.

In general someone who exercises is going to be healthier than someone who doesn't. If you don't believe that, then you are going against just about every study done on the issue in the last century.

Now, what I wanted to explain to my 70+ year old father at the time is that these people who exercise might not live to be over 70 like him, but they probably are going to be able to be much more active and healthier for that period of their lives.

Yes, if you want to run, getting the right shoe is critical.

I agree, but not to the point where it is too intimidating to start. Ideally you go to a shoe store that does a gait analysis, or at least the salesperson looks at you walk or run, and looks at the wear of your current shoe. If they don't do any of this, you are getting zero advice. The best shoe in the world for me might be totally wrong for you. I don't live in NE but my impression is that Lincoln Running Company knows how to fit shoes, but a typical big box sporting goods store may not.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/running-shoes.html is a good place to educate yourself. You can tell a lot from the "wet foot" test and by looking at the wear of your current shoes.

And really, starting off at 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a week, it's not absolutely vital to get the perfect shoe. You can make a guess based on the above article and adjust as see how it goes and (if) you add more miles. If you have pains, especially in the knees or back, it very well could be the shoes and then it's time for sure to get more expert advice. I'm just saying you can figure it out on your own, and even if you don't have to it's good to learn and know whether what the sales person says is making sense.

I stumbled onto my shoes by luck, Mizuno was giving them away for volunteers at a marathon. They worked well, but then I went into a local store known for their expertise and I know I got one of their most experienced salesmen. He said that shoe was too lightweight for me and suggested a couple others. I wound up trying both out and had problems. Switched back to my old model and felt a lot better, so I get that same model every ~500 miles. As I learned more about it I was more convinced that these shoes are right for me. I'm still trying to find the right trail shoe since the Inov8 I like has been discontinued. 26 marathons and ultras, btw, with more to come. I guess that bodybuilder would be surprised I'm still alive.

That's about like saying on a hot day that global warming is real or on a cold day claiming it's fake.

In general someone who exercises is going to be healthier than someone who doesn't. If you don't believe that, then you are going against just about every study done on the issue in the last century.

Now, what I wanted to explain to my 70+ year old father at the time is that these people who exercise might not live to be over 70 like him, but they probably are going to be able to be much more active and healthier for that period of their lives.

Not going against it, just pointing out something I experienced. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything being said. Just making a comment.

Yes, if you want to run, getting the right shoe is critical.

I agree, but not to the point where it is too intimidating to start. Ideally you go to a shoe store that does a gait analysis, or at least the salesperson looks at you walk or run, and looks at the wear of your current shoe. If they don't do any of this, you are getting zero advice. The best shoe in the world for me might be totally wrong for you. I don't live in NE but my impression is that Lincoln Running Company knows how to fit shoes, but a typical big box sporting goods store may not.

http://www.rei.com/l...ning-shoes.html is a good place to educate yourself. You can tell a lot from the "wet foot" test and by looking at the wear of your current shoes.

And really, starting off at 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a week, it's not absolutely vital to get the perfect shoe. You can make a guess based on the above article and adjust as see how it goes and (if) you add more miles. If you have pains, especially in the knees or back, it very well could be the shoes and then it's time for sure to get more expert advice. I'm just saying you can figure it out on your own, and even if you don't have to it's good to learn and know whether what the sales person says is making sense.

I stumbled onto my shoes by luck, Mizuno was giving them away for volunteers at a marathon. They worked well, but then I went into a local store known for their expertise and I know I got one of their most experienced salesmen. He said that shoe was too lightweight for me and suggested a couple others. I wound up trying both out and had problems. Switched back to my old model and felt a lot better, so I get that same model every ~500 miles. As I learned more about it I was more convinced that these shoes are right for me. I'm still trying to find the right trail shoe since the Inov8 I like has been discontinued. 26 marathons and ultras, btw, with more to come. I guess that bodybuilder would be surprised I'm still alive.

When I started running a lot, I had the wrong shoe and doing 4 miles killed my knees. I went to a free runner's clinic at a physical therapy group and they said "get the right shoe!", and since... I've only had minor problems during my marathon training. So I think even at low mileage, the right shoe is key. I agree, it shouldn't be intimidating, just go to a store that specializes in running shoes. They are typically managed by runners, and runners love to inflict their pain and suffering onto others :) I've found the Nike Air Pegasus to be awesome for me. I can take a pair out of the box and go run 10 miles without a worry.

Hell, after 26 marathons, I'm surprised you're still alive :) I'll probably never do another full. I think a half is a great distance, training for the full is just way too time consuming.