KBell's socks during bowl game

Okay lifer Jar head here. You guys see it as style, I see it as an individual on a team. Are all players alowed to pick and choose their uniform at Nebraska. Is it free to do what ever you want? Uniform/Unity. I see it as a problem either his or Bo's. What is good for the Olinemen and the dlinemen should be good enough for Bell, there are no I's in team. Are some treated special, not a good situation if it is that way.

Maybe I am out of line on this, but some of the lettermen in other sports that frequent this site, may have a better idea about it. Was it allowed in their sport. If it is a normal deal, so be it, but it seems he was the only one doing it.

Let the free for all begin. lol

Okay lifer Jar head here. You guys see it as style, I see it as an individual on a team. Are all players alowed to pick and choose their uniform at Nebraska. Is it free to do what ever you want? Uniform/Unity. I see it as a problem either his or Bo's. What is good for the Olinemen and the dlinemen should be good enough for Bell, there are no I's in team. Are some treated special, not a good situation if it is that way.

Maybe I am out of line on this, but some of the lettermen in other sports that frequent this site, may have a better idea about it. Was it allowed in their sport. If it is a normal deal, so be it, but it seems he was the only one doing it.

Thank you sir for posting this. I don't care if there is meaning behind his blue shirt or the socks that he wears. He has taken it upon himself to look different than the other 60 guys standing on the sidelines. He seems like a good kid and I highly doubt that is his intent.

Next thing you know, so one on the team with have an Aunt with breast cancer and they will be rocking a pink shirt hanging out of their jersey. Well, that is a good reason to do it right? Maybe another kid with have a grandma with glaucoma, so he needs to wear Blue Blockers in his helmet. Well, that is a good reason to do it right? Where does it stop and who decides?

Is it the end of the world...not even close. I think it is lame and shouldn't be allowed. Wear your team issued gear and win the game.

Man...got to really disagree with you here. I know the spirit of where you are coming from, but I don't see it as applicable.

It's like Sam Keller's sleeve, or Tim Tebow's eye paint, etc, etc. Every player has their little personal things that are part of their routine, what makes them feel comfortable and gets them into mood for the games. Lucky shirt, lucky underwear (don't wanna know), preferred helmets (different players can wear different make helmets, I think), whether to have a screen thing over the eye area on their helmets, what color wristbands and how many and what size, other accessories, how they do their eye paint (Slaus and Murtha come to mind), red contact lenses (KVB, in the pro's), bandanas (Fonzie wears one under his helmet, I think; Carnes too, but obviously not everyone), hairstyle... etc, etc, etc.

Literally the last of my concerns with regards to selfish individuality over team mentality.

Man...got to really disagree with you here. I know the spirit of where you are coming from, but I don't see it as applicable.

It's like Sam Keller's sleeve, or Tim Tebow's eye paint, etc, etc. Every player has their little personal things that are part of their routine, what makes them feel comfortable and gets them into mood for the games. Lucky shirt, lucky underwear (don't wanna know), preferred helmets (different players can wear different make helmets, I think), whether to have a screen thing over the eye area on their helmets, what color wristbands and how many and what size, other accessories, how they do their eye paint (Slaus and Murtha come to mind), red contact lenses (KVB, in the pro's), bandanas (Fonzie wears one under his helmet, I think; Carnes too, but obviously not everyone), hairstyle... etc, etc, etc.

Literally the last of my concerns with regards to selfish individuality over team mentality.

Bell has shown more of it than others though...

I understand your concern, but I don't think it is a big deal. Some of the best players of all time in all sports had all sorts of fashion concerns (Jordan -- sweatband, Dr. Jay -- high socks, The Sweetness -- headbands and Roos, heck the Hogs refused to get their helmets fixed/repainted).

Bell plays hard and with reckless abandon. If a blue shirt and crazy socks help him do that, I say hand out blue shirts and crazy socks to the entire team.

My parents are as old school as they come and they raised me to be humble and a team player, but even they didn't bat and eye when my sports uniform attire veered slightly from the standard issue.

YMMV

3620704706_a5e9625105.jpg

I hope someday Kenny Bell's blue t-shirt and socks end up in a trophy case. Just like these silver shoes.

(I read about Joe Washington and his silver shoes in "Bootlegger's Boy"--a great book, even if it is a book about the friggin hillbillies.)

I understand your concern, but I don't think it is a big deal. Some of the best players of all time in all sports had all sorts of fashion concerns (Jordan -- sweatband, Dr. Jay -- high socks, The Sweetness -- headbands and Roos, heck the Hogs refused to get their helmets fixed/repainted).

And they earned the right to do that - they weren't redshirt freshman w/ a case of mid-season dropsies :)

I'm on the fence w/ this one - I could be swayed either way. At this point I'm leaning more towards the "team" thing with K. Bell. If Maher wants to wear a pink shoe on his kicking foot though, he's earned that. If Rex decides to go w/ something special on his wrist, I'm ok with that. But Bell, who has more deviations from the uniform than anyone on the team?...not sure he's individualized himself enough on the field, to be such an individual w/ his uniform.