How has the Marine Urination fiasco missed Huskerboard?

There are so many worse things that have happened, and all it takes is the media to make something much bigger than it really needs to be.

How has the media made this bigger?

If it wasn't for the media, would have we heard about this?

The same could be said of any issue that has happened outside of my community.

Would you prefer we go back to the days where news travelled by horseback?

Then again, the riders could still bear the brunt of the blame for spreading inconvenient stories.

When did this forum become the home of the non sequitur?

Watch your mouth!

When did this forum become the home of the non sequitur?

How was my comment replying to someone who says that the media should not report bad things about us a "non sequitur"?

Because that isn't what he was saying. At all.

Then help me out.

What did he say that I didn't get?

Weren't they private contractors....Blackwater guys to be exact?

Nope. Marines. There unit was identified early on, but I can't find the info. Just that Marine brass is trying to grasp how to handle this.

And I still say don't dishonorably discharge them--that's letting them off too easy, and they may not learn the necessary lesson here. Task them to help with NATO propaganda and (eventually) interacting with the civilians. Maybe they'll get the picture that they're humans too.

THis isn't what was being talked about?

On March 31, 2004 an ambush saw Iraqi insurgents in Fallujah attack a convoy containing four United States contractors from the private security company Blackwater USA, who were conducting delivery for food caterers ESS.[1]

The four armed contractors, Scott Helvenston, Jerko Zovko, Wesley Batalona and Mike Teague, were killed, dragged from their cars, beaten, and set ablaze. Their burned corpses were then dragged through the streets before being hanged over a bridge crossing the Euphrates.

Photos of the event were released to news agencies worldwide, causing a great deal of indignation in the United States, and prompting the announcement of a counter-insurgency campaign in the city.

This led to a US operation to occupy the city in the First Battle of Fallujah that was halted at midpoint for political reasons, and a later successful attempt seven months later in the Second Battle of Fallujah.

The families of the victims filed suit (Helvenston et al. v. Blackwater Security) against Blackwater USA for wrongful death in January 2005. According to a 2010 article in Men's Journal, the personal wealth of Blackwater's founder, Erik Prince, made him an easy target for the lawsuit.[2]

http://en.wikipedia....Fallujah_ambush

There are so many worse things that have happened, and all it takes is the media to make something much bigger than it really needs to be.

Well......

OK. Maybe - and I'm just saying it's a possibility, not FACT - but maybe I misread your reply.

In reading the two respones, I gather that Walksalone is concerned that certain events should not be reported as they are detrimental to our reputation. Of course I disagree with that premise. Our soldiers are in Iraq and Afghanistan because they were invited to remain after our invasions of those nations by the puppet governments we installed. What our armed soldiers (who are not subject to national laws) do is newsworthy, especially to the citizens of the mations they occupy.

Just as the actions of our armed police are who have full authority to administer law.

The actions of politicians, celebrities and all public figures should also be under scrutiny. However I will not call Bill Clinton a hypocrite since he never cliamed to have "family values", while Newt Gingrinch is a hypocrite because he has championed those values.

Nope. Marines. There unit was identified early on, but I can't find the info. Just that Marine brass is trying to grasp how to handle this.

And I still say don't dishonorably discharge them--that's letting them off too easy, and they may not learn the necessary lesson here. Task them to help with NATO propaganda and (eventually) interacting with the civilians. Maybe they'll get the picture that they're humans too.

On March 31, 2004 an ambush saw Iraqi insurgents in Fallujah attack a convoy containing four United States contractors from the private security company Blackwater USA, who were conducting delivery for food caterers ESS.[1]

The four armed contractors, Scott Helvenston, Jerko Zovko, Wesley Batalona and Mike Teague, were killed, dragged from their cars, beaten, and set ablaze. Their burned corpses were then dragged through the streets before being hanged over a bridge crossing the Euphrates.

Photos of the event were released to news agencies worldwide, causing a great deal of indignation in the United States, and prompting the announcement of a counter-insurgency campaign in the city.

This led to a US operation to occupy the city in the First Battle of Fallujah that was halted at midpoint for political reasons, and a later successful attempt seven months later in the Second Battle of Fallujah.

The families of the victims filed suit (Helvenston et al. v. Blackwater Security) against Blackwater USA for wrongful death in January 2005. According to a 2010 article in Men's Journal, the personal wealth of Blackwater's founder, Erik Prince, made him an easy target for the lawsuit.[2]

Nope. But apparently you want to discuss this.

Nope. But apparently you want to discuss this.

I wanted to see what the event was that he mentioned. I wanted to find out what he was talking about so we could take a look at what acutally happenened. I'm also not aware of another time where dead bodies were dragged through the streets. I know the above does have more to the story than most think. I read about it...I'd have to dig that book out to refresh my memory as to what happend though...

However I will not call Bill Clinton a hypocrite since he never cliamed to have "family values", while Newt Gingrinch is a hypocrite because he has championed those values.

"You vote for me and I'll give you family values."

Bill Clinton Portland Oregonian (26 July 1992)

Nice catch!

My spin is...look at how much each metioned it and how big/significant of a plank it was for them.

How has the media made this bigger?

Maybe a more pertinent question would be; if this were a good story about some of our marines helping some locals in some way, would our media report that with the same vigor? Would the middle eastern media even touch it?

• Fire 1

Got to love election time. It's funny when the left seems to be more concerned with the values of the Republican candidates then the people (South Carolina) who are supposed to actually vote based on the candidates values. Obviously they didn't.

However I will not call Bill Clinton a hypocrite since he never cliamed to have "family values", while Newt Gingrinch is a hypocrite because he has championed those values.

"You vote for me and I'll give you family values."

Bill Clinton Portland Oregonian (26 July 1992)

What Bill Clinton said, with the part Green Lanten omitted...

You live in a country that makes it harder to raise children than any other country in the world. You vote for me and I'll give you family values.

Nice catch!

Not really, once you realize he was talking about children rather than marriage.