McKewon: Recruiting strategy

zoogs

http://omaha.com/art...IGRED/702019806

A very good article in which Sam covers signing day, wraps up some recruiting thoughts, and offers a take on national vs. local recruiting strategy.

“If it takes two flights to get here, and there aren’t a lot of flights in, the airlines are going to play a part in how much we’re in certain areas,” Pelini said. “You can recruit a kid all day, and a lot of times if it’s real difficult to get him here — it’s going to be hard to get that kid. It plays a lot bigger piece of the puzzle than you would think.”

You could take that quote as Pelini bemoaning the remoteness of Big Red. Or maybe his weariness of spending January on (often private) planes. But I detected some reason, some wisdom, a willingness to look harder at the 750-mile, 12-hour, drivable radius from Memorial Stadium.

Superimpose the state of Texas on a map with the cities of Dallas and Lincoln lining up, and you might be surprised how much room that leaves the Huskers. If Nebraska’s going to get back — all the way back — it has to win, consistently, in this region. Didn’t happen in 2012.

well crap, I wonder what Osborne did to get a kid to lincoln, when travel was even more difficult. Dam Bo, You make 3 million a year and would probally like to keep your job. If it was me, I would personally drive down to Kansas city and spend my own gas money to pick the kid up. The kid would probally get off spend 2 hours with you alone and just talking. As long as you did not get into a wreck.

I think there is a bit of validity to Bo's point..........

It's not just getting the kid here............it's the inconvienence of a parent having to fly into Omaha on game days and renting a car just to get to Lincoln.

I live in Lincoln and rarely fly out of here because it's only connecting flights................really nothing direct anywhere unless your destination is Chicago, Denver or Minneapolis, etc.

So I don't think Bo was whining..............just pointing out an obstacle that many maybe haven't considered..........

well crap, I wonder what Osborne did to get a kid to lincoln, when travel was even more difficult. Dam Bo, You make 3 million a year and would probally like to keep your job. If it was me, I would personally drive down to Kansas city and spend my own gas money to pick the kid up. The kid would probally get off spend 2 hours with you alone and just talking. As long as you did not get into a wreck.

Then you would get run out of the coaching profession due to an assload of recruiting infractions.

It's not just getting the kid here............it's the inconvienence of a parent having to fly into Omaha on game days and renting a car just to get to Lincoln.

I live in Lincoln and rarely fly out of here because it's only connecting flights................really nothing direct anywhere unless your destination is Chicago, Denver or Minneapolis, etc.

So I don't think Bo was whining..............just pointing out an obstacle that many maybe haven't considered..........

Is that a real obstacle though? How many kids are flying into Ann Arbor? Here is their terminal...

55620997.jpg

• Fire 1

Is that a real obstacle though? How many kids are flying into Ann Arbor? Here is their terminal...

55620997.jpg

AND bOOM THERE GOES the dynamite. Thank you for that post. What ncaa infractions would Bo be comitting by picking up a recruit on a official visit? Heck you think Lincoln is bad? How in the crap do recruits get to Kansas and Kansas St? Ever been to Norman? Official hub is Dallas. Maybe I am wrong on this one. But please tell me how a kid on a official recruiting trip and it is a violation for a coach to pick him up at the airport? Wait a second, Does Auburn have a international airport? does boise st have a airport? Only school that really has a airport is TCU. Houston also. Miami and we see how that has worked out. Usc and ucla have one. I was being sarcastic,but that excuse is pretty weak.

Then you would get run out of the coaching profession due to an assload of recruiting infractions.

on a official visit? The kid flies into Kansas city and I am the coach and pick him up? I thought the visit was for the player to get to know the coach? Not have a bunch of hot older chics hanging with you?

55620997.jpg

Lincoln is 60 miles from Eppley Airfield. In 2010, Eppley served 4,287,428 total passengers. It handles about 397 commercial flights a week. Ann Arbor is 25 miles from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. In 2010, Detroit Metro served 32,377,064 total passengers. In 2010, Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport was the 16th-busiest airport in the United States and the 24th busiest airport in the world in terms of passenger traffic. So, if we are comparing Ann Arbor airport to Lincoln Airport... point made. But air services surrounding Lincoln with air services surrounding many of our rivals, including Michigan... yep, we are at a disadvantage.

Newsflash! Majority of top programs don't have a major airport in the city with direct flights... This shouldn't be a surprise considering Lincoln's population exceeds the majority of other D1 program cities. In the big 12 Lincoln was the 2nd largest city in the big 12 and in the big ten is technically the 3rd largest. However you don't see an advantage being gained by Northwestern(3rd busiest airport in the world) or Minnesota(30th busiest in the world) Where do recruits fly in for Penn State? Philadelphia? Pittsburgh.. either is more than a 100 miles a way. Trust me, we definitely are not in the minority when it comes to this issue. Usually college towns aren't in large cities which have direct flights which makes a lot of sense.