Texas nets zero commits during first Junior day

Nexus

Although this is against the trend of the last several years, it still is far too early especially for them. The article did state that they have a 2nd Jr day coming up, so I'm guessing they'll get some commits then. I actually see this as being a good thing for them, as I felt for some time that because they get commits so early in the process, they actually cheat themselves out of truly evaluating talent. Getting the large number of early commits breeds a lackadaisical attitude towards recruiting, imo.

a&m to the SEC is going to kill UTerus. they may not think so but its clear that kids want to play in those nice warm weather cities and also get to visit home 8 times a year so their parents get to see them play. to me the choice would be easy between sec and big12, i would be going to a&m as a texas high school recruit. easy decision.

Just two months on the job [at Texas A&M], Sumlin, who established a strong reputation with high school coaches in the state while at Houston, has secured four commitments and managed to hold onto two from the Mike Sherman era. Three of those players -- quarterback Kohl Stewart (Houston/St. Pius X), wide receiver Derrick Griffin (Terry, Texas/Terry) and wide receiver Jamar Gibbons (Sterling, Texas/Sterling) -- are in the ESPNU top 100 prospects for 2013.

UTerus should be worried. Very worried. Their time might be past. :lol:

So because they didn't get someone signed in Feb are they supposed to be worried that they won't have there usual top 10 class? I rather worry about what's we need to do than tx recruits.

It's an aberration from the norm for Texas, who is typically swimming around their ill-gotten money vault like Scrooge McDuck, while cackling about their recruiting National Championship they just won.

While it's early, perhaps recruits are wising up that they have other better options than having to play for Randolph and Mortimer Duke?

• Fire 3

So because they didn't get someone signed in Feb are they supposed to be worried that they won't have there usual top 10 class? I rather worry about what's we need to do than tx recruits.

It's an aberration from the norm for Texas, who is typically swimming around their ill-gotten money vault like Scrooge McDuck, while cackling about their recruiting National Championship they just won.

While it's early, perhaps recruits are wising up that they have other better options than having to play for Randolph and Mortimer Duke?

+1 for the Trading Places references. :)

@NoKoolAid: You should look up the definition of schadenfreude.

I'm more worried that this is just a general trend in recruiting. Even Nebraska usually has their class fairly together by Christmas - and you saw us fill almost half of it after New Years. These kids are wanting to milk the process to the end - and each year that goes by it gets worse. I think it's bad for the game, and Nebraska won't come out on top too many times in these scenarios.

The one nice thing about Texas filling up early is we weren't battling them for recruits. With more of an emphasis on Texas this year - I'd rather not be going up against the Horns on signing day for some 4* safety.

• 2 weeks later...
Following Texas' recruiting is always an interesting process. Head coach Mack Brown and staff do not offer any juniors until after National Signing Day and the Longhorns always host two junior days in February. The first one is usually quite a bit more exclusive and nearly every prospect that attends is expected to receive an offer. This year is no different in that regard. Texas hosted its first junior day on Feb. 12 with a select group of prospects in attendance. All except one - Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights linebacker Naashon Hughes - were offered while on campus. However, that's when something odd happened: Nobody committed.

<snip>

After a couple subpar seasons on the field, this shows that Brown will be in for a bit more of a dogfight than usual but landing five Rivals100 pledges already also shows that he has not lost his recruiting luster.

LINK

A Rivals article on Tejas' junior days.