The Religious Discussion of 2012

Gentlemen. We are getting into a realm of discussion that is best left for the Woodshed. Please agree to disagree and let's not worry about who lied to whom, or whatever the term is we're using here.

Disagreements are going to happen in this forum. Let's not get out of hand.

Have a Bandit day.

Or do so that this thread can get shut down like it should've when March began

Why should we shut the thread down?

I changed the title. Now we have ten more months to talk about this before it gets stale again.

well, we actually only have until 12/21/2012....when the world will end and we'll have a final answer to this religious discussion!

Gentlemen. We are getting into a realm of discussion that is best left for the Woodshed. Please agree to disagree and let's not worry about who lied to whom, or whatever the term is we're using here.

Disagreements are going to happen in this forum. Let's not get out of hand.

Have a Bandit day.

Or do so that this thread can get shut down like it should've when March began

Why should we shut the thread down?

I changed the title. Now we have ten more months to talk about this before it gets stale again.

well, we actually only have until 12/21/2012....when the world will end and we'll have a final answer to this religious discussion!

Hopefully by August +/- we'll have more substantial matters to discuss, like football, and possibly it will be easier to be more agreeable on those football issues. Religion and politics are just so polarizing but I think most all of us want to see the Huskers do well. I would drop the "most" out of that sentence but I'm sure there are a few numbskulls out there who want the team to fail so that some change can be expedited.

Hmmm, 12-21-2012....are there any bowl games prior to that date we should be pulling for? I'd hate to get screwed out of a bowl game just for some silly end of the world event.

Science doesn't disprove one thing about God or creation. It is virtually pointless to argue these matters with those who do not believe in God or are unwilling to honestly consider the possibility. God created science. God created every shred of evidence we have to go on. I can't help but feel somewhat sorry for people who actually think we arrived where we are today by some random series of mathmatically improbable events that placed the earth the correct distance from the sun, gave us water, habitable temperatures, etc. If a person can come to the conclusion that this is not the result of intelligent design, especially persons who claim to know so much about science, odds, math, etc. I'm pretty sure there is not much that can be done about that. Not because the logical evidence is not there but because some people simply don't want to acknowledge the truth for a variety of reasons.

The only problem with your statement is that an early Mars was an Earth like planet. It is also the correct distance to support life. We are finding more Earth like planets the more we look.

I don't think your Mars example or evidence of other planets "like" earth cause any problems with my statement. Unless you have some news of intelligent life residing on any of these other planets. Using your examples only causes me to wonder why that early Mars did not develope life like earth or why we have not discovered that phenomenon anywhere else. Maybe I'm being a little impatient in the grand scheme of things but it isn't like we haven't been trying to find it. And, intelligent life on another planet, in another solar system, whatever, would not be any evidence to change my mind. If I had the power God has, I would probably be trying out some different models in other locations.

This is what kind of "gets" me about this whole deal. I have no doubts whatsoever about the limits of what God is capable of. I don't believe there are any limits. Some people who don't believe in God can take the simplest scientific evidence and claim it refutes the existence of God and/or nullifies biblical passages. Whereas I have no problems (at least so far) reconciling this human discovered scientific evidence with either being some remnant of God's actions or possibly even misinformation presented to see how we react to it. I really can't even imagine what kind of information could be presented to cause me to change my mind. It's not that I am not willing to consider other points of view. But, so far, those views have not been able to satisfactorily convince me.

Who says Mars never did develop intelligent life? they may have died out as the atomsphere change and it's not exactly like we can go there and start digging around to where we find skeletal remains. There may be intelligent life but may be less developed than we are or in the same spot to where we really can't explore space in spaceships like Star Trek. You can call me wacko or whatever but i do believe that we are being watched by aliens. There are too many people seeing spaceships and aircraft behavior that we can't explain and technologically can't do. I know things can be faked and whatnot but i don't believe there are that many people doing that stuff.

Wait a minute do youbelieve in God? :dunno

Define God

Define God

You don't have to beat around the bush. I would be genuinely interested to hear what you really believe, as I'm sure JohnnyRodgers is as well.

I'm not beating around the bush. If you can't define what you believe in, do you even know what it is exactly you believe?

Define God

You don't have to beat around the bush. I would be genuinely interested to hear what you really believe, as I'm sure JohnnyRodgers is as well.

I'm not beating around the bush. If you can't define what you believe in, do you even know what it is exactly you believe?

I think I've made that perfectly clear. I am just interested what your beliefs are...

Define God

I think I've made that perfectly clear. I am just interested what your beliefs are...

I think you're missing his point. In essence, what you've just asked (by stating that you made it perfectly clear that you know what you believe in) is whether he believes in YOUR god. If that's what you're asking, that's fine. But if you have to create a frame of reference, regardless whether it's asking if someone believe in your god, or they believe in god in another sense. There are as many gods as there are religions - more, actually, as someone may believe in some kind of deity but has no religious framework in which to shoehorn that belief. So, you have to frame it in one of two ways - does someone believe in your god (in which case, you have to define your god's characteristics as your visualization of god is influenced by factors unique to you, such as which religion you practice if any, cultural standards, parental indoctrination, etc.), or you ask if they believe in a god, and if so, what characteristics does that god possess?

Define God

I think you're missing his point. In essence, what you've just asked (by stating that you made it perfectly clear that you know what you believe in) is whether he believes in YOUR god. If that's what you're asking, that's fine. But if you have to create a frame of reference, regardless whether it's asking if someone believe in your god, or they believe in god in another sense. There are as many gods as there are religions - more, actually, as someone may believe in some kind of deity but has no religious framework in which to shoehorn that belief. So, you have to frame it in one of two ways - does someone believe in your god (in which case, you have to define your god's characteristics as your visualization of god is influenced by factors unique to you, such as which religion you practice if any, cultural standards, parental indoctrination, etc.), or you ask if they believe in a god, and if so, what characteristics does that god possess?

I'm not sure where these hidden rules are written. I just politely asked husker_99 what his beliefs are. If he doesn't want to answer, that's fine. I assume that he doesn't believe in my God because when asked if he does by johnnyrodgers, he said, "define God." All I did was ask, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Please quote my post in which I said what you did was wrong. I simply pointed out:

1. Why he asked for a definition before saying whether he believed in a god; it seems unclear to me following this thread if you intended to ask if he believe in your god, or some other god. Your context implies a Christian god, but while implied, it is ambiguous enough to require a frame of reference - particularly given even subtle differences between various sects of Christianity.

2. Why any inquiry into a belief system requires a frame of reference.

You asked if he believed in God, not a god. Assuming, as one must given the ambiguity but based on the context, you are referring to a Christian god, even that requires some definition or frame of reference. The latter (a god) requires a definition because there are multiple gods, as I noted, in which people believe, and that it's possible to believe in a "higher being" that is not derived from a particular religion. The former (God, implying a Christian god) requires a definition because the belief in God implies, in this country, a Judeo-Christian god - but doesn't take into account the sublte differences between Christian sects, or even the difference between the Jewish and the Christian gods, much less the fact that there are non-Christian religions practiced in this country.

You seem to believe that his request for a definition is dodging the question. It is not. I stated why is it not.

I'm not sure where these hidden rules are written. I just politely asked husker_99 what his beliefs are. If he doesn't want to answer, that's fine. I assume that he doesn't believe in my God because when asked if he does by johnnyrodgers, he said, "define God." All I did was ask, I don't see what's wrong with that.

I think AR is trying to say one can't simply ask another if they believe in God - people have different interpretations of God.

I think the better way for johnny to ask his question is - What God do you believe in, or do you not believe in God at all?

It's not this complicated people. There may be numerous religions and numerous interpretations of what God is but, when someone asks do you believe in God, I don't think it needs to be qualified. Yes or no will cover it in most cases. Typically God is viewed as the almighty creator. IMO it doesn't matter if Christian, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, whatever, you should be able to answer that simple question. Most people should realize that your answer pertains to your vision of what God is and not theirs or somebody elses. You may have to ask a lot more questions to really understand a persons belief structure but this is a pretty simple first step. The question was; do you believe in God? Not explain quantum physics.

• Fire 1

For the record, I wasn't the one that asked if he believes in God. That was johnnyrodgers. I just simplified it for him after he dodged the question with, "define God."

All I said was, "What do you believe in?"

There is nothing complicated about that question. It's simple. I do not need a frame of reference, because it's the simplest, most open-ended question I could possibly ask.