The Religious Discussion of 2012

I can see someone hasn't been to church in a few months :lol: This got changed months ago. And I wasn't happy about it.

I realized this did not reflect the relatively new liturgical changes but my google search did not yield the latest and greatest so I cut and pasted this one. I actually thought you might be the one to call me on it. :o Honestly, I have not missed one week of church since well before the change was instituted. But don't give me credit for that. My wife won't ever let us slack off. I'm still not used to the changes and rely on the pre-printed card. And with your soul....

Just giving you a hard time. The new mass is stupid, IMO. Im too busy reading the cards to find out the new stuff than actually thinking about what is actually being said. And what the heck does consubstantial mean!?

I'm not sure but I think it has to do with entering under your roof or something like that. :lol: Yeah-I kinda miss the days when you could recite it all without having to think too hard about it. I suppose that is one benefit though. I find it kind of funny that some of the older folks aren't even attempting the new wordings. They just continue doing it the old way. Listen close-you'll hear em. Can't say as I blame them. They've been doing it that way for, heck, as long as I can remember. I converted about 20 years ago so I'm not sure how long it had been that way but I'm guessing maybe back to the 60's anyway.

What are your beliefs? Do you believe in God, any God, any form or fashion?

I believe every one knows what is right and wrong. I do not believe in god, or satan, or the easter bunny or santa claus. I think organized religion is the most dangerous thing on this planet next to weapons of mass destruction, pop music, politics, and the Boston Red Sox.

I admire if you have faith, but keep it to yourself. I don't care about what you believe in, why you want me to believe in it, or the bad things that'll happen to me if I don't.

Ummm I like you Walks but, well I don't know how to spill the news but, this is a religion forum. I think the subject of religion might come up....rather often. No worries though, I won't try to convert you or threaten you with a possible eternity of only being able to watch Callahan era games on the TV's in hell. Or the 2011 Wisconsin game or virtually any Texas game.

I believe every one knows what is right and wrong. I do not believe in god, or satan, or the easter bunny or santa claus. I think organized religion is the most dangerous thing on this planet next to weapons of mass destruction, pop music, politics, and the Boston Red Sox.

I admire if you have faith, but keep it to yourself. I don't care about what you believe in, why you want me to believe in it, or the bad things that'll happen to me if I don't.

Ummm I like you Walks but, well I don't know how to spill the news but, this is a religion forum. I think the subject of religion might come up....rather often. No worries though, I won't try to convert you or threaten you with a possible eternity of only being able to watch Callahan era games on the TV's in hell. Or the 2011 Wisconsin game or virtually any Texas game.

I know, just answering the man's question...

WOW, I see many have gone to Clinton's School of dodge and deflect. What are your beliefs? Do you believe in God, any God, any form or fashion? How's that? I think everyone knew what I meant anyway but I will play the word game. eyeswear2allthatsholy

A clarified question gives better answers - seems like you're trying to play victim here. It's not working.

Asking 'do you believe in God?' is similar to asking 'do you believe in Jesus?'

Do I believe WHAT about Jesus? Do I believe he's the son of God? Do I believe he died for our sins? Do I believe he was just a simple dude preaching his beliefs? Do I believe he actually existed?

Your question was open-ended and he asked you to narrow the parameters. I would have done the exact same thing because your question is condescending and, quite frankly, poor unless clarified.

You guys really need help. Had I asked if you believed in Jesus then you could have ansered all those questions. You could have answered none, just answer what you think about him. I think that is the problem with our society today, you can't answer what you believe you have to be asked such a specific question, I really believe you guys have problems.

For example lets try and ask a question like that for me. Do I believe there is no God? I do not need to know any more parameters. Or maybe do I believe there is a God, I can answer that question without all this minutia. :restore2

I am not trying to preach or anything how we got here is strange to me also. You may believe what you want and I am not trying to make you believe in it. People are asking me questions and I in return. I believe we are in a religious discussion thread so logic would dictate we discuss religion. I am not being flipant or anything but if you do not want to talk about religion then you probably shouldn't be in a thread that says "The religious discussion of 2012". :wasted

Now you've done it!

Please don't tell me you are a Dead Sux fan!?!?!! :ahhhhhhhh

Why should you care if people are open about their faith? This is the same thing with people who hate certain TV shows and want them off the air - if you don't like it, don't watch it. Change the channel. It's as simple as that.

There are channels on cable that are 24/7 religion. Bully for them. I don't watch them, but I don't begrudge them the air time. Let them practice their faith. Let them tell me I should be Christian/Buddhist/Muslim/whatever. I don't have to listen to them if I don't want to, and nobody is chasing me down the street shoving a Koran/Bible in my face.

I've never understood this thing where people say or insinuate that religion is being "shoved down my throat." No, it isn't. In 99.99% of every situation, you are able to change the channel, leave the room, ignore the conversation, whatever.

EDIT - BTW, I'm wondering what will happen if Ameer Abdullah praises Allah in a presser after having a big game. That'll upset not only the theophobes but some of the hardcore Christians in Nebraska, I imagine.

Why should you care if people are open about their faith? This is the same thing with people who hate certain TV shows and want them off the air - if you don't like it, don't watch it. Change the channel. It's as simple as that.

There are channels on cable that are 24/7 religion. Bully for them. I don't watch them, but I don't begrudge them the air time. Let them practice their faith. Let them tell me I should be Christian/Buddhist/Muslim/whatever. I don't have to listen to them if I don't want to, and nobody is chasing me down the street shoving a Koran/Bible in my face.

I've never understood this thing where people say or insinuate that religion is being "shoved down my throat." No, it isn't. In 99.99% of every situation, you are able to change the channel, leave the room, ignore the conversation, whatever.

EDIT - BTW, I'm wondering what will happen if Ameer Abdullah praises Allah in a presser after having a big game. That'll upset not only the theophobes but some of the hardcore Christians in Nebraska, I imagine.

Oh, but a good discussion it would be.

He can praise Allah every game that he has a huge game and we get a win!! Wooohey!!!!!! :wasted

WOW, I see many have gone to Clinton's School of dodge and deflect. What are your beliefs? Do you believe in God, any God, any form or fashion? How's that? I think everyone knew what I meant anyway but I will play the word game. eyeswear2allthatsholy

A clarified question gives better answers - seems like you're trying to play victim here. It's not working.

Do I believe WHAT about Jesus? Do I believe he's the son of God? Do I believe he died for our sins? Do I believe he was just a simple dude preaching his beliefs? Do I believe he actually existed?

Your question was open-ended and he asked you to narrow the parameters. I would have done the exact same thing because your question is condescending and, quite frankly, poor unless clarified.

You guys really need help. Had I asked if you believed in Jesus then you could have ansered all those questions. You could have answered none, just answer what you think about him. I think that is the problem with our society today, you can't answer what you believe you have to be asked such a specific question, I really believe you guys have problems.

For example lets try and ask a question like that for me. Do I believe there is no God? I do not need to know any more parameters. Or maybe do I believe there is a God, I can answer that question without all this minutia. :restore2

Now your just embarassing yourself. I had just about enough of you when you told carlfense hes gonna fry. Wow, so Christian of you. How do you know carlfense is gonna fry? We believe in a MERCIFUL God. Maybe God understands Carlfense a little better than you.

And as far as your little emotions at the end of every sentence, they are tiresome. Your gonna fry when you die :wasted Your stupid if you don't believe what I believe :wasted And yes Im a Red Sox fan, is that a problem? :wasted

• Fire 2

Just a funny side note. Your comment about being chased down the street brought to mind the scene in Airplane where they are walking through the airport and literally fighting/punching all the Hare Krishnas, Jehovah Witnesses, etc. that approach them. Funny stuff.

Yeah, I'm guessing praising Allah in a post game presser might go over in Nebraska like a lead (not red) balloon. I'm not sure I would characterize those who that might offend as "hardcore" Christians but rather some of the more "sheltered" people. I don't sense that there has been a lot of exposure to other cultures/religions in Nebraska outside of Omaha or Lincoln. When I was growing up in Nebraska, a black man committed armed robbery at a bank in our town (Not one of the 3 largest cities) and all of the witnesses could only describe him as looking like Sammy Davis Jr. In actuality, he looked nothing like SDJr. I do not believe our town had one single minority resident that varied more than one shade from lilly white until some time after my college years. It's not that everyone was prejudiced or racist or whatnot but they had just never been exposed to anyone much different than themselves. I don't think I began to really understand that other cultures/people even existed until my basketball team had to play at Omaha Benson when I was a junior. Talk about culture shock. Sure we had experienced a few people of color through sports at different times but never were we so clearly in the minority as that away game at Benson. Anyways, that is why I think it might not go over too good. I doubt many Nebraskans know or have directly encountered a person of the Muslim faith not that they are necessarily "hardcore" Christians.

Edit- I haven't lived in Nebraska for about 26 years now so maybe it is much different now than when I was younger. I know the demographics in my home town sure have changed quite a bit.

Now your just embarassing yourself. I had just about enough of you when you told carlfense hes gonna fry. Wow, so Christian of you. How do you know carlfense is gonna fry? We believe in a MERCIFUL God. Maybe God understands Carlfense a little better than you.

And as far as your little emotions at the end of every sentence, they are tiresome. Your gonna fry when you die :wasted Your stupid if you don't believe what I believe :wasted And yes Im a Red Sox fan, is that a problem? :wasted

DAMN IT! You beat me to that one! I've noticed that way back in this thread. Kudos to you for finally saying something.

By the way....GO SOX!

There's different interpretations of Jesus, as there are different interpretations of God. You argument doesn't make sense.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh snap.