Sipple: Amid fervent fan base, Pelini seeks even keel

Let's say, just for kicks, Nebraska had beaten South Carolina in the Capital One Bowl.

Imagine the euphoria among Husker fans. Imagine the spike in expectations for the program. Top five, here we come!

Of course, Nebraska lost 30-13, and the shrill anti-Bo Pelini voices have had a heyday. They say his program is headed in the wrong direction. They see NU as a team that too often falls apart in games.

Welcome to college football, a land of wild mood swings.

"I tell our team, 'If you buy into that stuff, you run the risk of being the same way, of being too up-and-down, and you can't be that way,'" said Pelini, whose team begins spring practice Saturday. "It's about consistency."

He tries to drive home that notion. It's critical to do so.

"Especially here," said Pelini, noting that fans tend to fixate on a team's record (Nebraska was 9-4 overall, 5-3 in the Big Ten Conference last season). "Most everybody outside the program is not only results-driven, but they're so emotionally results-driven that you have to shield your team from that. That's a big challenge.

Continue Reading

Can Tom Shatel sue Sipple? Article seemed very familiar...

Anyway, still a great read. I would rather read straight Q&A with Pelini rather than have the reporters write a story with some kind of spin with just a few Pelini quotes to support it.

Note to journalists: Stop asking Bo about his temper!!!

Can Tom Shatel sue Sipple? Article seemed very familiar...

Anyway, still a great read. I would rather read straight Q&A with Pelini rather than have the reporters write a story with some kind of spin with just a few Pelini quotes to support it.

Note to journalists: Stop asking Bo about his temper!!!

No kidding. That horse dun died from flogging.

You know what part I enjoyed most?

If a guy's not doing it right, he's not going to be out there, right? Even if he happens to be exceptionally talented?

"If he's really talented, he still better do it the right way. No matter how talented you are, if you don't know what to do ... you could be Deion Sanders, and it still ain't going to work for you."

inb4 'herp derp Bo plays favorites...'

• Fire 1

In my opinion, he comes off like a petulant child with a "it's someone else's fault" (media, fans) attitude instead of looking in the mirror.

I don't believe Bo will ever get Husker football to the point that we will finish a season ranked in the Top 5 let alone get to a BCS Championship game. A pattern has emerged through 4 years that I don't see changing with him.

In my opinion, he comes off like a petulant child with a "it's someone else's fault" (media, fans) attitude instead of looking in the mirror.

I don't believe Bo will ever get Husker football to the point that we will finish a season ranked in the Top 5 let alone get to a BCS Championship game. A pattern has emerged through 4 years that I don't see changing with him.

He may not be willing to change his personal demeanor but I get the impression that he has identified areas that need to improve:

"I think we're close. I think accountability, discipline and internal leadership - those are the pieces of the puzzle that can push us over the top."

After reading this OWH article it seem like he is trying to develop internal leadership:

"It's been great," Pelini said. "We (coaches) are limited, but what they choose to do is up to them. It's part of leadership. It's part of an emphasis: Do whatever it takes to get better. To push us over the top."

Compton and others have been holding meetings throughout the offseason.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120303/BIGRED/703039839/1048#bo-expecting-a-big-jump-on-defense

I think change is coming.

I love how Bo thinks he is the only person to play football, the only person who has been in a competitive team sport. No one else understands the basics of football, but him. He thinks everyone is dumb and he is a genius, and is frustrated people can’t see it...... (Some people call that arrogance).

I think Bo is a decent coach, but I would love for him to just say "we are working on getting better", instead of making excuses like; the fans are too up and down, the media is picking on me, blah blah blah. If you spent half the time you do complaining about how your job is so hard here and how the media, fans, past players and some of the boosters "just don’t understand", and applied that to fixing some of your coaching issues.... we could win a few championships!

Lastly, to say his meltdowns doesnt impact the players and coaches around him.... thats delusional.

Edit - Misunderstood you.

I love how Bo thinks he is the only person to play football, the only person who has been in a competitive team sport. No one else understands the basics of football, but him. He thinks everyone is dumb and he is a genius, and is frustrated people can’t see it...... (Some people call that arrogance).

Some people might also call that confidence.

Pelini does, in fact, know more about football than the greater majority of people who watch him coach. 90% or more of the analysis on this board is completely off base, coming from people who have no idea what they're talking about or what to look for in a game.

"The reality is, I'm probably under the microscope more than a lot of coaches." That's 100% true. How you misconstrue this into whining and him being 'arrogant' with his football knowledge is a little baffling, to say the least.

• Fire 5

Agree, Enhance. I can see how some my take some of the things he says in a negatvie manner, but would also think if those same people would look at the whole instead of singular comments, those people would be able to understand the whole of the message.

Even if someone disagrees with the Pelini's tone, can one really argue with his responses? Are one of these "offended" people actually going to gripe that Bo is wrong, and that they do know more than Bo about his schemes and the general goings on within the program? I'd consider that thought process to be "nutty".

How do you define "get Husker football?" What is there to "get" that he hasn't gotten yet?

Read the whole sentence. He didn't say "I don't believe Bo will ever get get Husker football." He said he doesn't think he will get it to the point of finishing in the top 5 or BCS. Disagree with his opinion or whether it's vital that Bo does get us to a championship game, but this wasn't a vague claim that Bo doesn't "get it".