Sipple: Pelini says no to 'yes men'

You heard the typical glad tidings - the lemonade and cotton candy and talk of improved confidence and team chemistry.

What did you expect from Nebraska's pre-spring football press conference Tuesday?

We did receive at least one nice surprise: a glimpse into Husker coach Bo Pelini's management style. It was interesting. It was telling. It made you think twice if you regarded Pelini as an unwavering, iron-fisted leader who hires only "yes men" for his coaching staff. Surely you've heard such a notion bandied about.

Pelini identified (predictable) qualities he seeks in assistants: good people, good communicators, good recruiters. He said he hires, "guys who see eye-to-eye with the way I want to do things."

Even so, he said, he values coaches who think outside the box.

Continue Reading

I have never coached on a staff where the head coach wanted "yes men". To many people thought that about Bo. In the end the head coach makes the call but what the heck do you think all those meetings they have are about? They talk about ideas.

the theory is just a product of his hires. since none of us know JP or Beck it's nothing more than an opinion...but when it looks like you could bring in a Zook/Stoops (obviously we know nothing about what was going on behind the scenes there) and then end up with JP you start to feel like Bo is going to always go with "his guys"...which can also be translated into "yes men".

at the same time "his guys" might be more inclined to challenge him than someone from the outside so you could argue just the opposite. but I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that Bo is a little set in his ways when it comes to something like defense (because he's a genius with it...well, until last year) or with the offense being "multiple" (because he plugs that term about every 3 sentences when talking about the offense).

It would just be refreshing for some of us to see him look outside the box every once in a while. I think Kaz might be one of those guys. His line schemes don't seem to be this "contain" crap Pelini fed off all last year. We'll see soon enough whether Kaz is a yes guy. If we're still rushing 4 in contain then I think we can consider the "yes man" myth plausible. And I Joseph was a little outside the box for Pelini - going for a recruiter w/ that hire. We'll see how it all plays out.

It amazes me that people would really think he wants yes men. Have you seen him on the sideline with his coaches. It looks like a little more than,"yes sir boss". Especailly with Carl!

I'm almost positive this whole idea started because of Frazier. He was on Husker Sports Nightly, said this, and (naturally) thousands of people picked up on it. I don't know if he was the first to think it, but I think he was the first to wholly publicize it.

I dont know about you folks, but my friends (and colleagues who are friends) are always the first to call "Bull$%*&" around me when they disaprove of an idea. Theyre also the first to offer differing opinions, and alternate views. I have to assume its the same with coaches. I'd be more concerned with guys Bo didnt know becoming Yes Men than guys he's familiar with.

It amazes me that people would really think he wants yes men. Have you seen him on the sideline with his coaches. It looks like a little more than,"yes sir boss". Especailly with Carl!

I'm almost positive this whole idea started because of Frazier. He was on Husker Sports Nightly, said this, and (naturally) thousands of people picked up on it. I don't know if he was the first to think it, but I think he was the first to wholly publicize it.

I was/am a huge fan of Fraizer and what he accomplished on the field, but the day when he stops being asked his opinion publicly as if he's an authority on anything relevant in this world will be a great one, indeed.

• Fire 1

I dont know about you folks, but my friends (and colleagues who are friends) are always the first to call "Bull$%*&" around me when they disaprove of an idea. Theyre also the first to offer differing opinions, and alternate views. I have to assume its the same with coaches. I'd be more concerned with guys Bo didnt know becoming Yes Men than guys he's familiar with.

yeah, I think the whole "yes men" thing is a really bad concept/description for what fans (at least me) feel. what I worry about is not that he's hiring "yes men" - but that he's not hiring anyone that brings additional/differing experience to the staff. JP likely has an almost identical defensive philosophy as Bo, because he's been trained by Bo. Beck not having a lot of experience prior mean's he's more likely being molded into what Bo visions with little argument.

I'm not worried that they won't call "bulls#!t" on him when they disapprove of an idea or feel they have a better way of doing things - i'm sure they will...i'm worried they won't disapprove of anything because they don't have the experience to provide a better way of doing things in the first place.

All of these guys are great coaches I have no doubt. But knowing Bo can get us to 9-10 wins with no trouble, are they enough to push us into that 11-12 win team we all want. That takes something beyond what just Bo can bring to the table. I'm cautiously hopeful they are, but I'll remain skeptical until JP/Beck prove themselves at least a little.

As a coach, my one of my best assistant coaches ever seemed to question or disagree with many of my ideas and trains of thought. He was soooo valuable. Everything that comes to mind may initially sound good, but until it is quesitoned and you have to defend you thought process or scheme, it is nothing more than a brain-stormed idea...

I do have one coach now who is a yes man, and he isn't cutting it....waiting for him to retire. I love his loyalty, but I am not sure that he has ever disagreed with me... hell, I could suggest quick kicking on first down on opponent's side of field, and he would automatically agree.

** I have been noted on several posts referring to Bo wanting "yes" men.....but, honestly, those are all statements made in jest and sarcasm... It is true though, that I am sure he wants someone who he has a relationship with and knows who he is getting and also wants the coach to know what they are getting into.

People that think that Zook or Stoops would have been a great hire for DC are a little crazy as well I think. Why would you want someone who is going to look to move on after a year or two with your ideas as well? I think what Bo is doing is a great way of hiring for the future and for cohesiveness. Yes you will have the Raymond situation once in a while, but I truely think Bo likes the ones willing to learn and be commited to the program and the beliefs he has. Yes he does say he wants his assistants to better themselves and if they get an opportunity that they can't pass up then take it. His main goal I believe, is to keep his assistants for the long haul if possible, people he can trust, but not afraid to speak their minds as well. This is how championship teams start especially in a place like Nebraska.

I was/am a huge fan of Fraizer and what he accomplished on the field, but the day when he stops being asked his opinion publicly as if he's an authority on anything relevant in this world will be a great one, indeed.

For the most part, I agree. It's not that I don't value his opinion, it's just that he's like Peter. He thinks he knows a lot more than he really does, he constantly reinforces his opinion and doesn't deliver his opinion very professionally - it's like he tries to drill it into people.

I can tell that most of the people who interview Tommy on radio don't really like what he has to say, or have anything to really respond with to what he says.

People that think that Zook or Stoops would have been a great hire for DC are a little crazy as well I think. Why would you want someone who is going to look to move on after a year or two with your ideas as well? I think what Bo is doing is a great way of hiring for the future and for cohesiveness. Yes you will have the Raymond situation once in a while, but I truely think Bo likes the ones willing to learn and be commited to the program and the beliefs he has. Yes he does say he wants his assistants to better themselves and if they get an opportunity that they can't pass up then take it. His main goal I believe, is to keep his assistants for the long haul if possible, people he can trust, but not afraid to speak their minds as well. This is how championship teams start especially in a place like Nebraska.

I've discussed my view on this before. Why do you think it's so crazy? Because Zook/Stoops are likely to leave in a couple years? Remember, we were led to believe that JP was on the way out the door if he wasn't promoted to coordinator...so what makes you think he'll be here 10 years from now? To me that sounds crazy. I give him 3-4 tops. With that said, lets say you rate experience on a scale of 1-10. Zook/Stoops being a 9-10, JP being a 2-3. Bo is going to need to train JP up to that level, and it will take 2-3 years to get him up to a 6-7. That means you're likely 3 years out before he can produce near the level of Zook/Stoop. And if he's gone after 4 then you got a single year of elite coaching out of him to go w/ your 3 wasted years investing in him. That's the same thing we'd be guarenteed to get w/ Zook/Stoops, without needing to invest 3 years. JP is a big risk IMO. He might be gone in 2 years. He might stay for 10 (in which case this promotion would have been a worthwhile investment)...but how many DCs stay put for 10 years? Even 5-7? Zook/Stoops were sure things, no matter how short their time here is.

And as for your last statement about championship teams being built on continuity.

2011: Alabama - they have some continuity w/ the coordinators being there 4/5 years.

2010: Auburn - gene's second year as HC, ted roof's second year as DC. gene goes out and finds the best OC in the game, in his 1st year Gus pulls in a championship.

2009: Alabama - Saban's 3rd year, MecElwain/Smart in their second years. Smart is the best indication that JP could be a success. He didn't exactly have extensive experience prior to Saban. He did have some athletes JP won't have.

2008: Florida - Meyer 4th year, Mullen's 4th year, Strong's 4th year under Meyer. [a little continuity here]

2007: LSU - Miles in his 3rd year, Crowton in his 1st year, some guy named Bo Pelini in his 3rd year as DC.

2006: Florida - Meyer in his 2nd year, Mullen 2nd, Strong 2nd.

2005: Texas - Mack Brown in his 8th season, Davis in his 8th season. This is the only guy I can find as a championship coach/DC that has been in the system more than 4-5 years. But his counterpart that year, Chizik, is in his first year as DC.

All-in all, championship coordinators DO NOT stay around for long - and they certainly DO NOT need to be there for 5-10 years before they can have an impact. Assuming JP will be here 10 years from now is crazy. Championship coordinators can have an impact on the team in year 1, or year 2. Guys like Zook/Stoops could have had an impact on the Huskers in 2012/2013. A guy like JP is an investment in 2014/2015. If history proves anything, it's unlikely he'll be on staff comes 2016/2017.

For the most part, I agree. It's not that I don't value his opinion, it's just that he's like Peter. He thinks he knows a lot more than he really does, he constantly reinforces his opinion and doesn't deliver his opinion very professionally - it's like he tries

to drill it into people.

I can tell that most of the people who interview Tommy on radio don't really like what he has to say, or have anything to really respond with to what he says.

All true statements.

i would guess when it comes to defense, you better be pretty damn convincing to change Bo's thoughts........on offense, it is a different story, it is not his strong suit, speaking of being "multiple" is nothing more than coachspeak and i have heard enough of that already, Beck better give this offense an identity, last year was a grab bag of plays and not much else.