OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Wow, where did this one come from? Wouldn't be the proven big name guy and not really the hot young coach that everyone is after either. TO took a risk on Doc, this would no doubt be another risk. He does have some upside, young, has some great CA connections for recruiting, He's got to have quite a bit of NBA money left so you would think we could get him reasonably cheap, born in Nebraska, another Rex that is a husker is always a good thing. Saying all that, it's still a scary hire to think about. I will say, always liked the way he played in college, even if he was a Jayhawk.

Lee B. wants us to take a long hard look at Scott Spinelli.

Comments on hiring another mid-major coach make a lot of sense to me. You just never know how they will transition to the next level. Will they be able to recruit the next level athlete? It's a gamble.

Nebraska needs a coach to get us to the Mid Major level.

I would need a good answer from Spinelli as to why he left Nebraska for Wichita State if he liked Lincoln so well. Did he see the writing on the wall and wanted to get out before everyone got fired? If we take a chance on him and he does have success is he going to be committed to staying at Nebraska or move on if he has that chance?

I would need a good answer from Spinelli as to why he left Nebraska for Wichita State if he liked Lincoln so well. Did he see the writing on the wall and wanted to get out before everyone got fired? If we take a chance on him and he does have success is he going to be committed to staying at Nebraska or move on if he has that chance?

He left with Collier

Here's another good one...

2011-12 Men's Basketball Coaching Staff

<p class="contentDiv" id="ctl00_contentDiv" style="width: 100%; float: left;">

Coaches

Expand

headshot_1_10Prohm,%20SteveWEB.jpg

Steve Prohm

Head Coach

Phone: (270) 809-3428

Email: steve.prohm@murraystate.edu

Steve Prohm is ready to lead the Racers. After serving as an assistant coach for the first 13 years of his career, the 15th head coach in Murray State history takes the Racers into the 2011-12 season with the same lofty goals as those before him.

He was introduced as head coach on May 23, 2011, promoted after serving as an assistant coach for the last five seasons under Billy Kennedy, who became head coach at Texas A&M University.

When Prohm was hired, the outpouring of support of the players and coaches from his past was overwhelming.

“The many former friends, colleagues and former players that I heard from was humbling to me,” Prohm said. “With the all the ways you can communicate these days, I heard from many friends. Knowing that these people thought that I would be a head coach some day was the most exciting and encouraging thing for me because they told me I had an impact on their lives.”

“Steve’s passion for Murray State and Racer Basketball is contagious,” MSU Director of Athletics Allen Ward said. “That’s one reason he received such overwhelming support from the community and from both current and former players. No one will work harder to make sure Murray State builds upon its winning tradition.”

Big shoes to fill and big expectations come with the job at Murray State.

Prohm has prepared his entire professional career for this and he’s ready for the challenge.

Prohm has been a key part of one of the most successful periods of Racer Basketball from 2006-11 which included back-to-back Ohio Valley Conference regular-season championships in the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons. He was also part of MSU’s 14th appearance in the NCAA Tournament, where the Racers scored their second win in program history with a victory over Vanderbilt in 2010. MSU won a record 31 games and had the nation’s longest winning streak at 17. Last season, MSU made a back-to-back post-season appearance in 2011 by playing in the National Invitation Tournament.

Steve Prohm only coaches one way, by making his program a family.

“We are a family,” he said. “We have to love one another and trust one another, that’s how I was brought up in this game from day one back when I was a volunteer assistant at Centenary. I’ve got special relationships with the coaches I’ve worked with and speak to a ton of them often still today. This is how special things can happen when you have good people around you.”

“When it comes to the young men in our program, I want them to know that I’m going to do everything I can to help them be successful in basketball, but also in life,” Prohm added. “I want them to go on to be successful in their careers and to be successful husbands and fathers.”

Prohm was associated with Coach Kennedy for 12 seasons, which include stops at Southeastern Louisiana University (1999-2005) and Centenary University (1998-99). Prohm also served as assistant coach at Tulane University during the 2005-06 season.

At Southeastern Louisiana, Prohm was part of the staff that led the Lions to two Southland Conference championships and a trip to the NCAA Tournament in 2005. The Lions posted 24 wins in 2004-05, the most in school history.

During his 13-year career in the college game, Prohm has recruited and coached 13 different players who have combined to win 41 all-conference, NABC All-District and Louisiana Sports Writers awards.

At Murray State, Prohm has coached Ivan Aska (2009) and Isaiah Canaan (2010) who earned back-to-back OVC Freshman of the Year honors and return to the team this season. Former Racers Danero Thomas, B.J. Jenkins, Isacc Miles and Tony Easley were also associated with Prohm. Prohm’s list of all-star players continues with: Amir Abdur-Rahim (who also coached at MSU), Nate Lofton and Ricky Woods at Southeastern Louisiana, Kevin Sims of Tulane and Ricky McCollum of Centenary.

After taking over in May, Prohm and the team were fortunate to have already scheduled a summer exhibition tour of Toronto, Canada. The trip came at a perfect time.

“The Canada trip was important for many reasons, not the least of which is we got out on the road as a team and I was able to coach them for the first time,” Prohm said. “The big positive was when they walked into the locker room when school started in August, there was no introductory meeting. We already knew each other and they fellowshipped from the very beginning.”

The first set of decisions Prohm had to make upon becoming head coach, was in hiring a staff.

Three successful coaches joined the MSU program over the summer. William Small, Matt McMahon and James Kane. Bryan Sherrer was added as graduate assistant manager.

“I’ve got a great staff and they’re tremendous to work with,” Prohm said. “I’ve known William for more than 10 years, and I rely on him for a lot of things. Matt has experience as a player and a coach and James comes from Coach Grant’s program at Alabama and they’re accustomed to winning. And our graduate assistant Bryan has a bright future in coaching, so I’ve put together a great staff.”

Prohm frequently talks about his mentor Billy Kennedy, a man who he coached with and learned from.

“Coach Kennedy and his family have been very good to me,” Prohm said. “He gave me an opportunity when there weren’t many opportunities out there. My one mindset was that I was going to do all I could every day to help him be successful and I think I did that. He taught me a lot about what’s important when you are in a leadership position and to be more than a basketball coach. I want to be a teacher of life and influence our players and lead a balanced life. Basketball is extremely important, but there’s more to it than that.”

“I’m happy for Coach Kennedy to get the opportunity he’s getting at Texas A&M. He deserves it,” Prohm added. “He’s worked hard all the way up through the ranks and nothing has been given to him, he has earned it. Coach Kennedy and I won four championships together and I wish him all the best.”

So how will Prohm feel when he walks on to the CFSB Center floor on opening night?

“I’ve always heard, if you don’t have some butterflies before a game, something is wrong,” he said. “My personality causes me to get nervous coming into work, because I know what has to be accomplished and I want to get to work to get the job done.”

In his 13 year career leading up to being a head coach, Prohm has studied from some of the best and he’s learned how to do things the right way.

Prohm graduated from the University of Alabama in 1997 with a degree in education. He worked as a student assistant coach and student manager for the Crimson Tide for five years, which included two NCAA Tournament appearances and one trip to the NIT Final Four.

The Vienna, Va., native attended high school at Northwest Whitfield High in Tunnel Hill, Ga. where he lettered in basketball for three years.

What They're saying about Prohm

“I am excited that Steve Prohm is the new head basketball coach at Murray State. He was the most qualified and the best guy for the job. I know he will continue to build on the traditions at Murray State, and great things are ahead for the Racers.”

Billy Kennedy

Head Coach, Texas A&M

“I am excited for him. When I first got here, I noticed he was one of the hardest working coaches on Coach Kennedy’s staff. He is very competitive at everything and doesn’t like to lose. He is into his job everyday, and he will do a great job running the program. I know everybody is behind him and the town loves him. It will be a good fit.”

Danero Thomas

former Murray State player

“He will do a great job because he is a learner, but he is also a teacher and a good person. It is really important in our coaching community, as we move forward into the future, to have guys like Steve in our profession. I couldn’t be any more proud of him in what he has helped Billy (Kennedy) do and will be able to do to carry on a successful program at Murray State.”

Kerry Keating

Head Coach, Santa Clara

“Steve was a manager for me when I was the head coach at Alabama. You could tell then that he was a real gym rat in a lot of ways. He just loved being in the gym and would do anything he could to help a player out. He would always be coaching up the players and you could see his aptitude and attitude early on. He was a real student of the game and relates well to the players.”

“I think he is a guy that will very likely be a superstar. He is kind of understated in ways. He is not the big flamboyant guy, but he is a guy that will roll up his sleeves. He is guy who knows where he came from.”

“If he has great success at Murray State, which I fully expect he will, I certainly won’t be surprised.”

Dave Hobbs

Scout, New Jersey Nets

former head coach, Alabama

“I can’t think of a more deserving person. The guy has worked so hard for so many years. Starting out as a manager back in the mid-90s, to where he is today, is just incredible. He was such a loyal assistant to Billy Kennedy, and he was always such a loyal friend to myself and all the players at Alabama. One thing we always knew about Steve Prohm, is that whenever you called him, he would always be there for you. He would always tell you the truth, whether you wanted to hear it or not. He would look you in the eyes and tell you the truth.”

“I can’t guarantee that the Racers win, but the one thing I can guarantee, is there won’t be another team that will be more prepared than Steve Prohm’s team.”

Roy Rogers

Assistant Coach, Detroit Pistons

1996 NBA 1st Round Draft Selection, Alabama

College hoops insider tells me Shaka Smart to Illinois is a done deal. Also, I hear Nebraska has a shot at Altman. Weber may take year off.

LINK

i do not want altman, matter of fact i dont want anyone on our list, any mid major coach will be a bust in our leage, shaka can have his gig at illinois and i bet they will be a sub .500 team, he got some momentum in the tourney last year and won a few games and now everyone is having a hard on for him, vcu will be out in the first round this year