OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Probably been hashed to death, but the continuing rumor of Howland at UCLA has me puzzled. After reading the Sports Illustrated article AGAIN, it's hard to fathom how T.O. could seriously even consider this guy! What a jackal.
SI hasn't really had a strong record as of late on these investigative stories of programs gone bad. They has as much fiction as they do fact. And the interest came more from his end than it did ours. His people came to us. That's very attractive when a good coach wants you.

Hence he's probably not that good of a coach?

Probably been hashed to death, but the continuing rumor of Howland at UCLA has me puzzled. After reading the Sports Illustrated article AGAIN, it's hard to fathom how T.O. could seriously even consider this guy! What a jackal.
SI hasn't really had a strong record as of late on these investigative stories of programs gone bad. They has as much fiction as they do fact. And the interest came more from his end than it did ours. His people came to us. That's very attractive when a good coach wants you.

Hence he's probably not that good of a coach?

I would have been happy with him. Some of the problems have been exaggerated.

Here you go HS...

headshot_1_Head%20Coach%20Anthony%20Evans%202011-12%20HS.jpg

Anthony Evans

Head Men's Basketball Coach

Phone: (757) 823-8934

Email: aevans@nsu.edu

Anthony Evans is in his fifth year as head men’s basketball coach at Norfolk State University. The 2011-12 season will be Evans’ ninth year on the Spartans’ coaching staff.

Evans has directed NSU to the best four-year stretch in the school’s Division I history (since 1997-98). In 2007-08, Evans’ first at the helm of the program, Evans guided the Spartans to just their second Division I winning season. The Spartans compiled a 16-15 overall record and finished 11-5 in MEAC play, their most successful regular-season finish since joining the league. NSU also tied for second in the regular-season standings, another high-water mark for the program. NSU advanced to the MEAC Tournament semifinals before losing to eventual champion Coppin State. Evans capped his inaugural season by being named MEAC Co-Coach of the Year by CollegeInsider.com.

In 2008-09, NSU shook off a slow start to reach the cusp of its first-ever MEAC title. The Spartans rode an up-tempo offense and pressure defense to their first MEAC Tournament championship game appearance. Despite falling to Morgan State in the tournament final, the Spartans served notice that they deserve to be mentioned among the conference’s elite.

The 2009-10 Spartans finished the year at 9-7 in conference play. And in 2010-11, the Spartans advanced to the MEAC Tournament semifinals for the third time in four seasons while keeping alive the school’s streak of 13 consecutive seasons with a MEAC record of .500 or better.

Evans served as an assistant at NSU for four seasons before taking over the head job. In that capacity, his duties included developing the backcourt players, scouting opponents and recruiting. Evans was instrumental in the recruitment of several of NSU’s top players. Included among them was a pair of 1,000-point scorers and All-MEAC players, guards Tony Murphy and Corey Lyons. Murphy became the school’s first three-time All-MEAC player and departed as the program’s No. 7 all-time leading scorer.

Murphy and Lyons are just two of the players who have earned conference accolades during Evans’ tenure at NSU. Murphy and fellow guard Michael Deloach were both two-time All-MEAC members during their careers. Current Spartan Kyle O’Quinn has also earned a pair of all-conference designations and last season became the school’s first-ever MEAC Defensive Player of the Year award winner in addition to earning NABC All-District honors.

Evans, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., was formerly the head coach at Delhi Tech in Delhi, N.Y., from 2001-03. His teams went 62-8, including two Region III titles and appearances in the National Junior College Association Division III tournament. He was District I Coach of the Year twice, and Region III Coach of the Year in 2002. His teams at Delhi garnered a No. 1 ranking at one point during both of his years there.

He coached a first-team All-American in 2002-03, and an honorable-mention All-American in 2001-02. Three of his former Delhi players played at Division I schools.

Evans also coached at Ulster County Community College in Kingston, N.Y., for two seasons before his stint at Delhi. At Ulster, Evans’ team went 23-8 and was the Region XV runner-up in 2001, when he was named the region’s Coach of the Year.

Evans earned his bachelor’s degree in marketing from St. Thomas Aquinas in 1994. He played guard for Aquinas, also known as the Spartans.

My short list:

Bill Self

Roy Williams

Wisconsin coach - Bo somebody (just for his name)

The AAU coach of Kansas St senior Jamar Samuels "Hey, I only gave him $200. Its not like it is against the rules. Well, AAU rules anyway."

Is John Wooden still alive?

Ha you forgot Izzo..

But as of right now Greg Marshall and John Croce are my top 2 candidates.

OZZIE needs to climb aboard the new Husker Basketball Jet fly down 6to St. Louis and give Rick Majeras what ever it takes to nget him to come to Lincoln and be our coach. There are already 4 B1G teams in the Sweet 16 and Purdue still has its second round game to play. This is a basketball conference and right now we are the doormat.

T_O_B

G>B>R

He was breaking up much the same way his player was. This guys kids love him and when they play their final game its hard on every one concerned. You can see some of the same on Creighton's team. Their big guy is wearing pink sneakers in honor of the coache's wife who is a cancer survivor.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Did you listen to Majeras attempt to speak with reporters? He was wheezing so badly I feared he might collapse during the interview..............

Man, I really thought so too, or that he'd have a heart attack if the game went down to the wire.

I don't know follow basketball enough to really know who is a legitimately good coach and who isn't, but it seems like a whole lot of knee-jerking here for the coach of the moment. Just because a low seeded team has a hot night or two doesn't mean we should sign it's coach to a multi million dollar contract.

Did you listen to Majeras attempt to speak with reporters? He was wheezing so badly I feared he might collapse during the interview..............

Man, I really thought so too, or that he'd have a heart attack if the game went down to the wire.

I don't know follow basketball enough to really know who is a legitimately good coach and who isn't, but it seems like a whole lot of knee-jerking here for the coach of the moment. Just because a low seeded team has a hot night or two doesn't mean we should sign it's coach to a multi million dollar contract.

Majeras has a long history of taking non-traditional BB powers deep into the tournament. He may look like he's just another fat guy, and you may think the emotions of the moment look kike he's all wheezy but this guy can coach and if we somehow landed him as coach we should all get down on our knees and thank the BB gods for finally giving Nebrasketball a break.

Not only that but our list should have 68 names and each and every one of them played this weekend.

T_O_B

G>B>R

T_O_B

Here is another coach who should get a look. Chris Mack of Xavier. 4 of the last 5 years in the Sweet 16.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Was told neither he or Groce are that interested. We'll see if that is still the case if they give us an interview but it seems like there is a strong chance Dixon is listening. Don't know if it's BS or not but seems to have the same traction as BH last week.