OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Here is another coach who should get a look. Chris Mack of Xavier. 4 of the last 5 years in the Sweet 16.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Was told neither he or Groce are that interested. We'll see if that is still the case if they give us an interview but it seems like there is a strong chance Dixon is listening. Don't know if it's BS or not but seems to have the same traction as BH last week.

Any particular reason why Dixon would be interested in the job?

Here is another coach who should get a look. Chris Mack of Xavier. 4 of the last 5 years in the Sweet 16.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Was told neither he or Groce are that interested. We'll see if that is still the case if they give us an interview but it seems like there is a strong chance Dixon is listening. Don't know if it's BS or not but seems to have the same traction as BH last week.

Any particular reason why Dixon would be interested in the job?

Not a fan of moving to the ACC? Just had his worst HC season ever? A huge pay raise? Something new?

Lots of possibilities.

While I don't see it happening, Dixon would give new meaning to "splash hire" by Nebraska basketball standards. :D Of all the rumored candidates being floated around, Dixon is the biggest name of the bunch and it isn't even close. Even if you include his sub-.500 year he had in 2011-12 (his 1st of his career) he's still won 75% (.754 to be exact) of his games in 9 yrs. at Pitt. You can see the long list of accomplishments and coaching records he's broken per his Bio:

*Set the all-time NCAA Division I record for most wins after eight seasons as a head coach in 2011 with 216 victories. He also tied the record for most wins after seven seasons as a head coach in 2010 (188) and set the six-year mark in 2009 (163).

*Earned four college basketball National Coach of the Year honors: 2011 Sporting News COY, 2010 Jim Phelan Award COY, 2010 USA Basketball and 2009 Naismith COY.

*Guided Pitt to three Big East Championships including two outright Big East regular season titles (2003-04 and 2010-11) and one tournament championship (2008). The recent 2011 outright regular season title came in a league that placed an all-time record 11 teams in the NCAA Tournament.

*Led Pitt to its first two No. 1 seeds upon entering the NCAA Tournament (2009 and 2011).

*Became the only coach in NCAA Division I basketball to guide his team to the NCAA Tournament and win at least one game in each tournament over the last six seasons (2006-11).

*Guided Pitt to its first-ever NCAA Regional Final and Elite Eight appearance, a school-best 31-5 record, the school's first-ever No. 1 national ranking and the program's first-ever No. 1 seed upon entering the NCAA Tournament in 2008-09.

*Led the USA Basketball Under-19 Team to the 2009 FIBA World Championship Gold Medal and 9-0 record after inheriting an overhauled roster and assuming head coaching duties a month before the competition began.

*Concluded the 2010-11 season as the winningest coach in Big East history with a current .708 winning percentage in league games (109-45), while surpassing several legendary coaches including John Thompson, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim and Lou Carnesseca.

*Became the first head coach in school history to lead Pitt to eight consecutive 20-win seasons, eight straight 10-plus win Big East regular seasons and eight straight NCAA Tournaments.

*Directed Pitt to three NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances (2004, 2007 and 2009).

*Named Madison Square Garden's College Basketball "Coach of the Decade" (2000-10).

*Guided Pitt to its second all-time Big East Championship title in 2008. The Panthers became just the second squad in league history to capture the crown after winning four games.

*Led Pitt to the Big East Championship Final in four of his first eight seasons as head coach.

*Is one of only nine coaches in NCAA Division I history to win over 100 games during the first four seasons of a coaching career.

*Reached both 100 wins and 200 wins at Pitt faster than any other head coach in school history. Dixon needed only 126 games to reach the milestone. Only 14 coaches in the history of college basketball reached 100 career victories faster than Dixon. His 200 victories were accomplished in only 255 total contests. He is one of only 13 coaches in NCAA Division I history to reach 200 victories in 255 games or less.

*Amassed a spectacular eight-year 98-38 Big East regular-season record.

*Tallied a 133-12 home record in his first eight seasons.

*Became the first rookie head coach in Big East history to both guide his team to the league's regular season title and earn Big East Coach of the Year honors in 2003-04. Dixon earned those accolades after leading the Panthers to the Big East regular season title and a school-record 31 wins, which rank as the third highest total in NCAA Division I history for a first-year head coach. Dixon also led Pitt on an 18-game win streak to begin the season, a streak which ranks as the third-best start for a rookie head coach in NCAA Division I history.

In my opinion, Chris Mack can stay at Xavier and hope he never does more than fly over Husker airspace. Instead of recruiting players his university can be proud of, he recruited thugs from AAU programs and failed to make them realize they weren't on the dark streets of Cincinnati. Nothing says pride to a predominantly white school like a gang fight with a crosstown rival on the basketball court of a nationally televised game.

• Fire 1

Please TO go talk to Rick Majeras. We need someone who who can at least get us into the Dance and hopefully the 2nd round. Majeras can do that.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I may not be remembering this quite right, but I THOUGHT we gave Majeras a long look back when Doc was hired and HE wasn't interested.....

Please TO go talk to Rick Majeras. We need someone who who can at least get us into the Dance and hopefully the 2nd round. Majeras can do that.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I may not be remembering this quite right, but I THOUGHT we gave Majeras a long look back when Doc was hired and HE wasn't interested.....

Thats correct. Peady wanted him here and talked with him when the season was less than 1/2 way over. That kind of started the down hill for Barry. And in Majeras defense...would you want to work for Peady?

T_O_B

G>B>R

Thats correct. Peady wanted him here and talked with him when the season was less than 1/2 way over. That kind of started the down hill for Barry. And in Majeras defense...would you want to work for Peady?

That is a GREAT point. Sometimes we (me) need to be reminded that interest and/or lack of interest can be swayed not just by the school, but the administrative personnel currently residing there.....

I'd like to see Groce myself. Did you see the locker room after their game last night? The University President came in and gave a speech and basically saying Groce was the best coach in the nation. Complete attempt at trying to kiss ass and get a head start on trying to keep him at Ohio. I think he will be at a much larger program very soon, possibly next year and it might not be Nebraska. I could see some more prestigious basketball school going after him and leaving us way in the rearview.

Dixon would be my second choice.

For fun, let's hypothetically say Jamie Dixon's interest in NU is legitimate. What would be a justifiable salary to get him to come to NU? Keep in mind that Boehm has come out and said that they're willing to "open up the checkbook" for the right person. Dixon is currently making between $1.6 - 1.8M at Pitt through 2017-18.

So what do you think someone like Dixon, an already established "big time" coach is worth to NU basketball?

I'd like to see Groce myself. Did you see the locker room after their game last night? The University President came in and gave a speech and basically saying Groce was the best coach in the nation. Complete attempt at trying to kiss ass and get a head start on trying to keep him at Ohio. I think he will be at a much larger program very soon, possibly next year and it might not be Nebraska. I could see some more prestigious basketball school going after him and leaving us way in the rearview.

Dixon would be my second choice.

Groce is my choice as well, but rumor has it he isn't too hot on us. Supposedly has a career path in mind and won't jump at just any opportunity. (however, just like gettng recruits in on game day, I'd have to think if we can get candidates to at least VISIT and see the facilities on the horizon.....it would be a great asset)

Another problem is that I believe he has all five starters back.........